ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257566)

Braincase 08-01-2012 03:17 PM

Recently finished "Redshirts" by John Scalzi, narrated by Wil Wheaton. Fantastic, and recommended for ST:TOS fans. Also finished "Fuzzy Nation", a modern update of the classic H. Beam Piper "Little Fuzzy" from '62. Once again, narrated by Wheaton. Fantastic. Currently doing another Scalzi/Wheaton audiobook, "Agent to the Stars". I'm having a blast.

Megbert 08-01-2012 03:21 PM

Finally read Ender's Game - really enjoyable book glad I finally read.

The Strain - Del Toro and Chuck Hogan - pretty good 'summer blockbuster' type of book. Part 1 of a trilogy.

Reading now - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Taking some time with this one. Set in early 20th century England. Worth checking out.

NewChief 08-01-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZORChiefFan (Post 8783822)
Finally read Ender's Game - really enjoyable book glad I finally read.

The Strain - Del Toro and Chuck Hogan - pretty good 'summer blockbuster' type of book. Part 1 of a trilogy.

Reading now - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Taking some time with this one. Set in early 20th century England. Worth checking out.

I really thought I would like Jonathan Strange...but I didn't. Just sort of boring to me, unfortunately.

You definitely need to read Ender's Shadow since you read Ender's Game. It's, arguably, better. The series drops off pretty steeply for me after those two books, but a lot of people like them all.

Megbert 08-01-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8783838)
I really thought I would like Jonathan Strange...but I didn't. Just sort of boring to me, unfortunately.

You definitely need to read Ender's Shadow since you read Ender's Game. It's, arguably, better. The series drops off pretty steeply for me after those two books, but a lot of people like them all.

I had read about 140 pages of Jonathan Strange before I gave up. Just picked up again a week or so ago. Its a bit of a slog but I like the subtle jabs it takes at society in turn of the century England.

Buck 08-02-2012 10:04 AM

How long in The Name of the Wind does Kvothe's back story go on for? I'm definitely interested in it, but the stuff with the Scraels in current day seems more interesting. So far I'm enjoying the shit out of this novel.

Braincase 08-10-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8783812)
Recently finished "Redshirts" by John Scalzi, narrated by Wil Wheaton. Fantastic, and recommended for ST:TOS fans. Also finished "Fuzzy Nation", a modern update of the classic H. Beam Piper "Little Fuzzy" from '62. Once again, narrated by Wheaton. Fantastic. Currently doing another Scalzi/Wheaton audiobook, "Agent to the Stars". I'm having a blast.

Finished "Agent to the Stars" by Scalzi. Had a couple of nice twists that kept the story interesting. Thought about either listening to some classic sci-fi ("Foundation" by Isaac Asimov) or an action/thriller ("The Lions of Lucerne" by Brad Thor), but I looked over my audiobook list and realized I had another Scalzi/Wheaton collaboration on my Zune... "The Android's Dream"... starts off with a human trade negotiator killing an alien emissary with a series of insulting farts.

Jawshco 08-10-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8805017)
Finished "Agent to the Stars" by Scalzi. Had a couple of nice twists that kept the story interesting. Thought about either listening to some classic sci-fi ("Foundation" by Isaac Asimov) or an action/thriller ("The Lions of Lucerne" by Brad Thor), but I looked over my audiobook list and realized I had another Scalzi/Wheaton collaboration on my Zune... "The Android's Dream"... starts off with a human trade negotiator killing an alien emissary with a series of insulting farts.

Sold! LOL. I gotta read that now. LMAO

There is a Doctor Who parody with Rowan Atkinson where he uses Alien fart language to communicate with his companion.

Megbert 08-10-2012 02:55 PM

Put Jonathan Strange aside for now. Picked up Mistborn trilogy. About 100 pages into first book. Liking it so far.

Read The Graveyard Book by Gaiman a couple months ago. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the movie adaptation.

NewChief 08-10-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZORChiefFan (Post 8806231)
Put Jonathan Strange aside for now. Picked up Mistborn trilogy. About 100 pages into first book. Liking it so far.

Read The Graveyard Book by Gaiman a couple months ago. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the movie adaptation.

Jonathan Strangr started dragging for you too? I liked it, but at a certain point the book wasn't calling for me to pick it up and read nightly.

Pants 08-11-2012 10:31 AM

Just started reading "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. Supposed to be one of the greatest works of science fiction ever. The first few chapters are pretty intriguing.

Megbert 08-11-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8806782)
Jonathan Strangr started dragging for you too? I liked it, but at a certain point the book wasn't calling for me to pick it up and read nightly.

Pretty much. Felt more like a chore or reading for an assignment rather than reading for enjoyment.

Buck 08-11-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8809383)
Just started reading "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. Supposed to be one of the greatest works of science fiction ever. The first few chapters are pretty intriguing.

That one is a mind trip.

One of the few books that really made me think about what we're here for.

Bowser 08-11-2012 01:10 PM

I tried to go the audio route with The Dreaming Void, by Peter F. Hamilton. The story sounds interesting, but the narrator isn't working for me.

Pants 08-11-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8809608)
That one is a mind trip.

One of the few books that really made me think about what we're here for.

Awesome. I like that. :)

Braincase 08-23-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8805017)

Finished "Year Zero" by Robert Reid. Don't waste your time. It's a great big "Microsoft Sucks" piece.

Started a good one though, "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Lots of potential here.