ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Accidents Caused by Sudden acceleration. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516)

Rukdafaidas 01-27-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6485402)
Oh come on now, this one would've done much better.

http://ebeaa.org/graphics/336bt.jpg

Yeah, that one looks like a tank stopper.:)

HemiEd 01-27-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6485117)
Count your Father lucky......my friend wasn't. I had to attend his funeral 3 days short of his 19th birthday

mmaddog

Small cars were small cars, they offered very little protection back then, they were not loaded with the safety equipment that all cars sold in the USA are required to have now. If you drove any of those midget cars then, you were assuming the risk.

Mosbonian 01-27-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHorse (Post 6485379)
You're just making shit up as you go.

And uhhhhh.....nobodies buyin it.:shake:

Really....you seem to be the only one not buying it.

Run out of credibility cash?

mmaddog

Mosbonian 01-27-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6485388)
The older Caravans had crosswind issues as well, the newer one I have now is lower to the ground and more aerodynamic, so far I haven't noticed any issues with it. And in reality any older vehicle without crumple zones or air bags is a death trap to some degree.

The Ford Aerostars were also pretty scary....

And I agree with your last sentence...

mmaddog

HemiEd 01-27-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6485511)
You're right...all the cars made back then were being produced for gas efficiency and were light as could be. I remember people picking up those small cars and moving them as jokes....

Sorry about your brother....

mmaddog

Thanks it really sucked beyond description, and I am sorry about your friend.

When fuel hit 75 cents a gallon lots of people were driving the little things. But even the big cars, when compared to today's cars, were pretty unsafe.
No airbags, no crumple zones, they were just plain crude compared to what we are all driving now. It has just been a progression in the technology, along with a lot of the reliability problems they all experienced. Of course, the cost has risen proportionately.

CrazyHorse 01-27-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6485495)
Really....you seem to be the only one not buying it.

Run out of credibility cash?

mmaddog

Your in here saying how great Toyota is while they are shutting down for catastrophic failure, claiming I have no credibility. How does one establish credibility when the other persons eyes are closed to that degree?

You're right, I'm not buying that it was "stones" that have shut down Toyota. If that doesn't hold water with you, then I will just have to live with that.

BTW, who is buying your rhetoric? Just curious.

Anyway, I guess we dont have much to offer each other in this debate so I will just respectfully take a pass for the rest of it. Good luck.

007 01-27-2010 10:43 PM

I called the number regarding my 2009 Corolla and this is basically all I got out of it.

If I am an owner of one of the affected vehicles, what action do I need to take?
Toyota is working quickly to prepare a correction remedy and will issue owner notifications in the future. No action is required at this time unless you feel you are experiencing this condition. If you are experiencing this condition, immediately contact your nearest Toyota Dealer for assistance.

Guess I am just supposed to wait until my car rams into my living room when I pull into the garage. heh

Mosbonian 01-27-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6485643)
I called the number regarding my 2009 Corolla and this is basically all I got out of it.

If I am an owner of one of the affected vehicles, what action do I need to take?
Toyota is working quickly to prepare a correction remedy and will issue owner notifications in the future. No action is required at this time unless you feel you are experiencing this condition. If you are experiencing this condition, immediately contact your nearest Toyota Dealer for assistance.

Guess I am just supposed to wait until my car rams into my living room when I pull into the garage. heh

Most of my neighbors all work for Toyota here in Georgetown...what most of them are saying is to take it to your dealership and have them look at it. Not sure how good your relationship is with the dealer you purchased the car from. but make an appointment with them. (I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell you on a model that isn't being recalled)

Have you seen an indication of problems with the car?

mmaddog

whoaskew 01-28-2010 01:38 AM

I think I told everyone on here about the wreck I had October 15, 2009 in a rented 2010 Toyota Camry.

I was in the right lane and a guy ahead of me in the left lane made an illegal right turn in front of me, cutting off my lane of traffic. I slammed my brakes and swerved to miss him, but the car kept accelerating until we hit a building.

Here are some pics

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...84672078&op=12

I really want to sue both the car rental company and Toyota for endangering me and my girlfriend's lives, but I'm not sure how successful that would be. At least I wasn't on the highway when it happened.

Too bad the rental company is going to try to get me to pay for that POS vehicle. Maybe there will be a class action lawsuit in the near future, which will put Toyota on the hook and make them pay for it.

veist 01-28-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6485040)
Sounds like excuses to me....but in the interest of fulfilling both of your requirements for legitimacy...

Chevy Camaro...
Geo Storm...
Ford Explorer...
Tempo's...
Bronco's...

Does that meet your standards?

mmaddog

Actually the Storm is a badge engineered Isuzu Impulse that was completely assembled in Japan. I doubt there was much more than the Geo emblems on it that were domestic.

HemiEd 01-28-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoaskew (Post 6485889)
I think I told everyone on here about the wreck I had October 15, 2009 in a rented 2010 Toyota Camry.

I was in the right lane and a guy ahead of me in the left lane made an illegal right turn in front of me, cutting off my lane of traffic. I slammed my brakes and swerved to miss him, but the car kept accelerating until we hit a building.

Here are some pics

I really want to sue both the car rental company and Toyota for endangering me and my girlfriend's lives, but I'm not sure how successful that would be. At least I wasn't on the highway when it happened.

Too bad the rental company is going to try to get me to pay for that POS vehicle. Maybe there will be a class action lawsuit in the near future, which will put Toyota on the hook and make them pay for it.

Glad you and your girlfriend were not hurt. Did anyone give you the floor mat BS?

Radar Chief 01-28-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf (Post 6484294)
Have I seen Fords, Chevys, and Dodges with over 100,000 miles on them and still going strong? Yes. I seen many more Toyotas and Hondas with over 100,000 miles on them and still going strong? Very much so. Don't mean to hurt peoples feelings, but these are just My experiences.

Well, my experience is that you’re going to get the same 150K miles average service life from a Jap 4 cylinder as you will an American V-8. The differences are that you’ll get a lot more power and torque from the V-8 while the 4 banger will return better fuel mileage with fewer emissions but that has nothing to do with where they came from and everything to do with displacement.

Radar Chief 01-28-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6484386)
They need to just get rid of throttle-by-wire, it sucks anyway. I'll never buy another vehicle that has it.

There are HP and torque advantages to maintaining air velocity through the intake particularly at lower to mid RPM’s. Not that I’m disagreeing, just saying.

Radar Chief 01-28-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6485091)
Sorry...but if you think the Chevette was safe by any standards, I'd like to get you my medical report from the injuries suffered when I got hit while driving one. Never mind the fact the little POS couldn't make it up the normal sized hill, but it was a true deathtrap in road collisions.

And the Vega, even with it's mechanical issues, was no better than the Chevette when it came to collision survival.

And, in case you forgot, the Bronco had rollover issues. Admittedly not as bad as some of the first foreign SUV's to hit this market, but it was still a problem. (And I saved the Explorer for the more "pertinent" time frame)

mmaddog

OK, now you’re being ridiculous.
Are you actually trying to compare rollover rates of SUV’s to cars?

HemiEd 01-28-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoaskew (Post 6485889)

Here are some pics

Have you read this whole thread? I would be interested in your take on some of the comments in here, since you actually have experience with this issue.