ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Top DC Candidate (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268579)

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293453)
so risky....oh no

Well that's just plain dumb.

If the best QB in the draft is equal to a guy like Joey Harrington, you don't just take him because you need a QB.

I hope that Reid identifies a QB he feels worthy of the #1 overall pick.

But if he doesn't, I'm not going to ballistic, curse the franchise, etc. because I think he knows more than the fans at this point, even long suffering fans.

-King- 01-07-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293398)
Whoa. There's a difference between a Franchise QB and a "potential" Franchise QB.

If you're choosing a QB #1 overall, you'd better be damn certain he's a franchise QB, or heads will roll.

How exactly can one be certain?

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293448)
You're right, it does, but you can't just waste the number one pick on a long shot.

They're ALL long shots for ****'s sake...

KC kid 01-07-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9293521)
These are the same talking heads who had Griffin going between 8 and 10 at this time last year.

Very true. Lets hope a QB rises up the charts Griffin (not Sanchez) style

htismaqe 01-07-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293472)
I keep reading that Luke Joeckel is a Joe Thomas type player though. We will see what happens over the next few months with the draft board.

Luke Joeckel isn't in the same time zone as Joe Thomas. Don't say it again, it's ****ing blasphemy.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9293442)
I think now a days with the structure of the slotting system for draft picks, it allows to get away from a mistake in the top 10 easier

From a financial standpoint, absolutely.

But if the player chosen doesn't become a Franchise QB, you've burned a minimum of two years, if not three.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293512)
Is that what *I* said? No.

Look around. All of the talking heads are saying there is no Franchise QB in this year's draft. No where did I say that the Chiefs shouldn't take a guy #1 overall.

yes, this is what you said

Quote:

If you're choosing a QB #1 overall, you'd better be damn certain he's a franchise QB, or heads will roll.
there is no certainty, and it makes no god damn difference if he's #1 or #5 or #8 or #12....

heads will roll eventually, for everyone...not drafting a QB, or passing on one because "you're not damn certain" will lead to failure...it may be delayed a year or two because you squeezed some mediocre seasons out of a shit bag vet/backup...but you'll end up with your head lopped off

keg in kc 01-07-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293538)
Luke Joeckel isn't in the same time zone as Joe Thomas. Don't say it again, it's ****ing blasphemy.

Yeah, but it's a safer pick, because if he flames out at left tackle, he might still become a mediocre guard!

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293529)
Well that's just plain dumb.

If the best QB in the draft is equal to a guy like Joey Harrington, you don't just take him because you need a QB.

I hope that Reid identifies a QB he feels worthy of the #1 overall pick.

But if he doesn't, I'm not going to ballistic, curse the franchise, etc. because I think he knows more than the fans at this point, even long suffering fans.

you don't know what the outcome will be until you try...but you have to actually ****ing try to have any chance at success

but yeah, we should avoid the risk of failure...

that's worked great for 30 years...have fun with that

there's a QB in this draft...Reid's job is to draft him

it's that simple

AustinChief 01-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9293514)
He had a bunch of penalties and Clowney had clearly worn him down by the end. I wouldn't touch the guy anywhere in the top 10 (course I've long thought that...)

He had a COUPLE of penalties and held up pretty damn well, especially given that he often was without help. I have concerns that drop him to a 5-15 pick for me. I see him going right around #10.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9293532)
How exactly can one be certain?

Bill Polian was certain when he drafted Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning. Ernie Accorsi was certain when he traded for Eli Manning.

Ryan Grigson was certain when he took Andrew Luck. Shanahan and Allen were certain when they took RGIII.

I think a guy like Andy Reid has a better sense than someone like Romeo Crennel, which is why Clark Hunt went so hard after Reid.

If Reid isn't absolutely certain, I don't think he'd take a guy, just to take a guy.

The Bad Guy 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9293320)
Because i hear that Childress turned him down.

No he didn't. Whoever is feeding your info is wrong.

SAUTO 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

If Shannahan was absolutely certain about RG3 why did they draft another in the same draft?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293541)
there is no certainty, and it makes no god damn difference if he's #1 or #5 or #8 or #12....

Bullshit.

You're telling me "smart people" questioned Elway's ability to lead a franchise? Or Peyton Manning? Or Andrew Luck or RGIII?

Bull ****ing shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293541)
heads will roll eventually, for everyone...not drafting a QB, or passing on one because "you're not damn certain" will lead to failure...

Absolutely untrue.

Again, should the Chiefs take the best QB in the NFL Draft if his ability is equal to Akili Smith, Joey Harrington or even Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker, because they just happen to NEED a QB?

That is outright ****ing stupid.

NJChiefsFan 01-07-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293540)
From a financial standpoint, absolutely.

But if the player chosen doesn't become a Franchise QB, you've burned a minimum of two years, if not three.

That's going to happen with any QB the Chiefs go after. Whether it be Flynn, A. Smith, Freeman, or a kid in the draft. Either way you are looking at putting a couple years in with him.