ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Dorsey: There is no definite first round QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270104)

tk13 02-16-2013 07:22 PM

I guess I'm not surprised by this. I put little stock into Kiper and even less into McShay... but I do think these guys are ripping the QB class because they're all hearing terrible things from scouts/personnel people. I don't think it's entirely their own opinion.

The big difference between these guys and Pioli is they've 1) always put a high importance on the QB position and 2) have never been afraid to take one high in the draft. I feel confident that if they pass at 1, it'll be because they truly do not like anyone at that pick, and not some misguided ego trip to prove they're football geniuses.

But I've been wrong before. And the reality is there are questions about this class. But there will also be at least one or two guys who end up being underrated and have success. A Dalton, Kaepernick, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers... etc.

Unsmooth-Moment 02-16-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9408529)
How is that different than any QB?

It's not.

I agree to an extent.

If you have less invested in a QB today, you would think you are more likely to be aggressive in the upcoming offseason if said QB is not playing at the level you require (unless you are pioli).

htismaqe 02-16-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9408557)
Chiefs haven't picked a Qb in the first round in 30 years. Geno is arguably the best QB in a class where we have the first overall pick. Some here think Geno is an extremely skilled passer with the ability to be a franchise QB.

Can you really blame them?

I'm not 100% on QBs. I liked Sanchez but was concerned about his lack of experience. I didn't like Tannehill, again because of the experience factor.

That being said, I thought Matt Ryan was a game manager and said he'd never win a Super Bowl. I said Jay Cutler was a loser mentally and would never win in Denver - he didn't win a single playoff game there.

I've been right more often than wrong about QBs. There's guys here that are much better at this than me but I do watch a TON of football.

I'm absolutely CONVINCED that Geno has what it takes to be a solid NFL starter with championship upside.

RealSNR 02-16-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9408553)
Evaluate. Look. Study.

Those were his first three words.

Well, guess what?

I've done that. I watched over 200 college football games this past season and I've watched dozens more since then. I've evaluated pretty much every one of the top 10 or so QBs in this draft.

And I've come to the conclusion, after MUCH EVALUATION, MUCH LOOKING, and MUCH STUDY that anybody that says this is a bad QB class hasn't done their homework.

No "fanboy bullshit" about it.

I think I know HCF's response.

"Where's your NFL team if you're so smart?"

A bag of doughnuts says I'm right.

Unsmooth-Moment 02-16-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9408562)
I guess I'm not surprised by this. I put little stock into Kiper and even less into McShay... but I do think these guys are ripping the QB class because they're all hearing terrible things from scouts/personnel people. I don't think it's entirely their own opinion.

The big difference between these guys and ***** is they've 1) always put a high importance on the QB position and 2) have never been afraid to take one high in the draft. I feel confident that if they pass at 1, it'll be because they truly do not like anyone at that pick, and not some misguided ego trip to prove they're football geniuses.

But I've been wrong before. And the reality is there are questions about this class. But there will also be at least one or two guys who end up being underrated and have success. A Dalton, Kaepernick, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers... etc.

I agree with everything you said. :thumb:

|Zach| 02-16-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 9408560)
You're so cool with your stats.

http://www.businessinsider.com/faceb...clining-2012-9

We can both cite different things and it will be a while before it plays out..

Honestly I am just proud of you that you didn't put your head in the sand.

This does not even begin to show anything dying...more than a year after your 6 month prediction. Grasp at some more straws but know I am giving you a high five for trying.

Nightfyre 02-16-2013 07:24 PM

All I know is that I did not sit through every ****ing game this year, hoping for a loss, just so we could trade for a trashy QB from another team. Foles was trash in Arizona and he was trash in Philly. Draft Geno Smith number one. If Foles is starting, there is no reason to even watch because the season will be over before it starts and it will be clear that this administration is clueless.

O.city 02-16-2013 07:25 PM

Foles wasnt' trash. He showed some upside. He wasn't great, but he wasn't trash at all.

RunKC 02-16-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9408531)
Reid gave Michael Vick 100 million dollars. It's not like his past record is spotless a the position.

Sorry man, but like Hamas just said, we can go back to 09 and find a post exactly like this.

Scott ***** helped find the best QB ever in the 6th round, etc.

People have this grand illusion that Trent Green was this great QB here. He was good, no doubt. They conveniently forget that with him, we made the playoffs 1 time.

Trent led the greatest offense this franchise has ever seen. We were a top 5 offense 4 years in a row. 2 of those years, we were statistically the BEST.

In that time, our defense was 25th or worse. 2 of those years, they were last and second last.

Blaming Trent for those failures is ****ing stupid. If you're going to point the finger at anyone, point it at King Carl and Dick Vermeil for not making our defense worth a shit.

It takes more than a good QB to win. I thought this was understood?

HonestChieffan 02-16-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9408553)
Evaluate. Look. Study.

Those were his first three words.

Well, guess what?

I've done that. I watched over 200 college football games this past season and I've watched dozens more since then. I've evaluated pretty much every one of the top 10 or so QBs in this draft.

And I've come to the conclusion, after MUCH EVALUATION, MUCH LOOKING, and MUCH STUDY that anybody that says this is a bad QB class hasn't done their homework.

No "fanboy bullshit" about it.

If i read what has been said by a number of people is that there is no stanout number one. And this years draft class does not have the quality last year had. No one is saying its a bad class. Its just not a standout easy pick. Thats why people see opportunities to do more than just take a QB with the number 1 pick. The Geno or die mantra is the fanboy emotional point. We need a quality Qb. We have zero in what we have. We will have better this season. Geno? Maybe. But he is not good enough to make it an easy pick. Intangables will factor big time. The difference between the top 3 or 5 QBs is not enough to make any one an easy pick

|Zach| 02-16-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9408580)
All I know is that I did not sit through every ****ing game this year, hoping for a loss,

Sucks to be you?

O.city 02-16-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9408584)
Trent led the greatest offense this franchise has ever seen. We were a top 5 offense 4 years in a row. 2 of those years, we were statistically the BEST.

In that time, our defense was 25th or worse. 2 of those years, they were last and second last.

Blaming Trent for those failures is ****ing stupid. If you're going to point the finger at anyone, point it at King Carl and Dick Vermeil for not making our defense worth a shit.

It takes more than a good QB to win. I thought this was understood?

Nope, this argument doesn't work. You specifically told us it didn't work when talking about Geno and his defenses. So get out with that bullshit.

Yes, Green was a good QB. I'm not arguing against that. But facts are facts. We made the playoffs once. You yourself told us that the QB should be able to carry said defense if he's that good.

So which is it?

O.city 02-16-2013 07:29 PM

Looks like we have another "this QB class isn't great, lets wait and not take the best one, but take the 5 or 6 best".

tk13 02-16-2013 07:31 PM

Anybody who makes an argument blaming any offensive player from the Vermeil-era for lack of playoff success should be locked in a closet and never allowed to participate in football discussion ever again. It seems like someone makes a comment along those lines every other week anymore.

|Zach| 02-16-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9408605)
Anybody who makes an argument blaming any offensive player from the Vermeil-era for lack of playoff success should be locked in a closet and never allowed to participate in football discussion ever again. It seems like someone makes a comment along those lines every other week anymore.

So shitty. We didn't even need a great defense...just an average one. Ugh.