ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs US breaks up - where do you live? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277901)

notorious 10-26-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10125684)
Been there. It's a let down.

I have flown directly over it on the way to Santa Teresa or Las Cruces (big restricted area around White Sands) a bunch of times and always wondered what it would be like.

Thanks for saving me the time.

Bwana 10-26-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10125676)
Los Alamos and green chile? And yeah, 2 all the way.

Green chile? Will they bring the shitter paper as well?

http://www.adminarsenal.com/Portals/...usin_Eddie.jpg

vailpass 10-26-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10125708)
Green chile? Will they bring the shitter paper as well?

http://www.adminarsenal.com/Portals/...usin_Eddie.jpg

:) we also have the coozie market cornered...

Bwana 10-26-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10125718)
:) we also have the coozie market cornered...

So true!

Aries Walker 10-26-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driver2 (Post 10125594)
Yes I'm aware of the location of Mad Max. Australia not England I used the term English accent to describe their speech mannerisms and accents nothing more. Was I unclear about this?

In retrospect, you were dreadfully clear about the fact that you don't know anything about anything outside the US. Australian, English, whatever - to you, they're 'not American', and therefore all the same. I see it now.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

vailpass 10-26-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10125703)
I have flown directly over it on the way to Santa Teresa or Las Cruces (big restricted area around White Sands) a bunch of times and always wondered what it would be like.

Thanks for saving me the time.

Cheesy tourist trap...

saphojunkie 10-26-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driver2 (Post 10125066)
You're not appreciating the gravity of the situation described, food shelter, weapons, things like this will have value, the last time I checked computer chips, pc boards, weren't edible, therefore worthless as will be the people who only know how to make computer chips and pc boards. The folks up in the NAPA valley country who know how to distill alcohol will probably do alright Booze will probably be a high value commodity.

Total societal breakdown, Think "Mad Max" without the snotty English accents.

No money, barter will be the only means of trade or commerce.

What the **** are you talking about? I didn't say there was a complete breakdown, Armageddon-style.

In case you missed it, the world isn't in two groups: America and Total Chaos.

Just because the US breaks up into seven nations doesn't mean those nations can't function peacefully, successfully, and seamlessly. Quit acting like this is suddenly an apocalyptic scenario. It isn't.

THE US BREAKS UP, NOT BREAKS DOWN. IT IS THE DISSOLUTION OF THE US FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, NOT THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

saphojunkie 10-26-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10125106)
The scenario is that the federal government split up, not the society or culture. We have 50 perfectly good state governments, already in place, each with their own Constitutions, and executive, legislative, and judicial branches. They also each have their own National Guard. Utilities (which already cross national borders) would keep operating, as would most factories, farms, shipyards, highways, and businesses. The main things which would need to be constructed out of the wreckage of the US Federal Government would be the taxes, the military, and the State and Commerce Departments to handle international relations and trade.

But wait, why are we even conjecturing? We have a recently historical model of almost exactly this situation occurring, with the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991. Their nation lost superpower status and was an unmitigated mess for a while, but were there instant wars between the former Soviet states? Nope. Riots, starvation, anarchic bandit kingdoms? Only some. Did it devolve into a giant post-apocalyptic nightmarish wasteland hellscape? Not at all.

The US is like Europe, except that (because of, among other things, our brilliant Founding Fathers) we are what they can't be - unified. There are 46 nations in Europe; imagine if they tried to form a single government. Now imagine the same thing about Africa's 54 nations, or Asia's 49. They couldn't. We could. We did. Yes, it's American exceptionalism, but it's not without merit.

My long-winded gasbag point is that if the US split up, after an adjustment period, we'd be just as able to function as 50 independent (or, in this case, 7 amalgamated) states as we are able to turn over power once every four or eight years without a bloody coup d'etat. This scenario would happen without us devolving into chaos.

Also, Mad Max was set in Australia, not England.

Whoa, I should have just quoted this. Perfect.

vailpass 10-26-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10126011)
What the **** are you talking about? I didn't say there was a complete breakdown, Armageddon-style.

In case you missed it, the world isn't in two groups: America and Total Chaos.

Just because the US breaks up into seven nations doesn't mean those nations can't function peacefully, successfully, and seamlessly. Quit acting like this is suddenly an apocalyptic scenario. It isn't.

THE US BREAKS UP, NOT BREAKS DOWN. IT IS THE DISSOLUTION OF THE US FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, NOT THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

Wait. No zombies? What's the point of this then?

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-26-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 10125069)
Wish this was a public poll so I could see who the other 31 smart people are. :p

Nation 2 RULES!!! ;)

#2 FTW.

Our dumps are LEGENDARY.