ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official Mizzou Head Basketball Coach Search**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283091)

CaliforniaChief 04-23-2014 11:45 AM

Surprised Larry Eustachy isn't getting a look. I mean, he's got good relationships on campus already.

WhawhaWhat 04-23-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10580245)
Surprised Larry Eustachy isn't getting a look. I mean, he's got good relationships on campus already.

I heard we landed on the moon.

duncan_idaho 04-23-2014 12:58 PM

Did some detailed research on Chris Mack today at the behest of a buddy in Ohio.

I'm much more in favor of a mack move at this point. In fact, I'd put him right up there with anyone not named Marshall or Howland.

REgarding that, here are some key points:

1) "Winning with Sean Miller's players" is one of the big critiques. MAck definitely did this, but he had a senior, some juniors and a sophomore. So it wasn't like he could/needed to immediately turn over the roster. But he has rebuilt the roster now and has the makings of a very strong squad for next year after getting back to the tourney this year. He also has gone 4/5 in the NCAA tournament bid department and would be 5/5 if not for losing Mark Lyons and Dez Wells before the 2012-13 season.

2) Speaking of that, wow, the Xavier Jesuits really screwed him re: Wells. I hadn't payed close attention to that, but it looks like a total screwjob. When you've got the local prosecutor criticizing the way Xavier handled it AND the NCAA granting an immediate waiver, that says a lot. (Wells was expelled by the school for violating code of conduct over rape allegations that were apparently ludicrous).

3) Recruiting. Looking at Xavier's team this year, it appears Mack has rebuilt with some guys he would have back next season (three leading scorers all juniors or seniors next year) and he has a stud class incoming (top 15).

So, consider my mind changed. Mack is now right up there with anyone not named Marshall or Howland. And maybe even preferable to Howland, since he's so much younger.

gblowfish 04-23-2014 01:00 PM

If we're going to hire a Mizzou alum, how bout Jason Sutherland? His dad was a basketball coach, and this would really piss off all the Jayhawks!

Predarat 04-23-2014 01:28 PM

Now that they are in the SEC Mizzou needs to show some balls, get a helluva coach and piss off the Jayhawks all at the same time by snagging Roy Williams from North Carolina.

RustShack 04-23-2014 02:33 PM

Floyd is probably the best bet.

patteeu 04-23-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 10580524)
Floyd is probably the best bet.

If it was a choice between Floyd and Eustachy, which one would you pick if you were Mike Alden?

Lex Luthor 04-23-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10580604)
If it was a choice between Floyd and Eustachy, which one would you pick if you were Mike Alden?

Given Mike Alden's track record of picking basketball coaches, that almost sounds like a trick question.

DeezNutz 04-23-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Two coaches, one program, and Alden is on the floor, hopeful, with his mouth open.

patteeu 04-23-2014 04:14 PM

LMAO

TribalElder 04-23-2014 04:25 PM

Bob Beaudine is running the selection committee not Alden?

RustShack 04-23-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

I'd say Floyd.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-23-2014 04:50 PM

Rust, Fred would come running if called

TribalElder 04-23-2014 05:00 PM

BEAUDINE'S WORK

Plano, Texas-based headhunter Bob Beaudine claims placing dozens of football coaches and athletic directors at schools like Memphis (Justin Fuente) and Ole Miss (Hugh Freeze, Ross Bjork). Among some of his other notable "placements":

Frank Haith, Missouri basketball coach

June Jones, SMU football coach

Billy Gillispie, Texas Tech basketball coach

Scott Drew, Baylor basketball coach

Mick Cronin, Cincinnati basketball coach

Is that accurate? I heard that name dropped on 810 but there was some disagreement regarding his involvement with hiring haith or the Mizzou coaching g search this time around

Why doesn't Mizzou AD like look for and hire his own candidates ?

duncan_idaho 04-23-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10580719)
Bob Beaudine is running the selection committee not Alden?

Mizzou, like many schools when hiring a new coach, is using a search committee.

THey are not, however, using Beaudine's agency because of the shitty job they did in vetting Haith. That search committee reported to to Alden that Haith had no ties to Shapiro and would face no heat from the NCAA regarding Haith.