ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

BigRedChief 11-26-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7198696)
AMEN!

Got me some of those "cubed brisket"/burnt ends dinners as soon as I got off the plane. Magnificent grub! :thumb:

sedated 11-26-2010 04:21 PM

I get why most "burnt ends" are referred to here as "cubed brisket", but that doesn't exactly tell the whole story. They are covered in another layer of rub and smoked for another day. Calling them "cubed brisket" is short-changing them a bit IMHO.

headsnap 11-26-2010 05:21 PM

I voted Jack Stack... their mail order is THE BOMB!!!!

I can enjoy top quality KC BBQ all the way over here in Louisville, KY. :thumb:

Prince22 11-26-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 7199439)
I voted Jack Stack... their mail order is THE BOMB!!!!

I can enjoy top quality KC BBQ all the way over here in Louisville, KY. :thumb:

I thought I was the only louisvillian here. Going to have to check out Jack Stack.

Fire Me Boy! 11-26-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 7199307)
I get why most "burnt ends" are referred to here as "cubed brisket", but that doesn't exactly tell the whole story. They are covered in another layer of rub and smoked for another day. Calling them "cubed brisket" is short-changing them a bit IMHO.

Not "most". Just Jack Stack's. If you haven't had JS's burnt ends, trust me - they're NOT burnt ends. They're just cubed brisket. Real burnt ends are heavenly. Jack Stack's ain't.

HonestChieffan 11-26-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 7199487)
Not "most". Just Jack Stack's. If you haven't had JS's burnt ends, trust me - they're NOT burnt ends. They're just cubed brisket. Real burnt ends are heavenly. Jack Stack's ain't.

Dont try to argue individual taste. JS burnt end lovers probably like Old Milwaukee Light. Doesn't make em bad folks.

Fire Me Boy! 11-26-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7199497)
Dont try to argue individual taste. JS burnt end lovers probably like Old Milwaukee Light. Doesn't make em bad folks.

I'm not really arguing that they're good. As brisket goes, it's actually quite good. I'd have been thrilled with what I got if I'd ordered brisket.

I'm arguing that it's not burnt ends, which it isn't by definition. Burnt ends are chewy, smoky bits of yummy goodness. There aren't a lot of burnt ends available on a single brisket, which is why - especially at lunch - they're hard to get at most BBQ joints; they run out quickly. But at JS you can get 'em whenever you want 'em, no matter the time. Why is that? Because they're not burnt ends, that's why.

:harumph:

HonestChieffan 11-26-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 7199508)
I'm not really arguing that they're good. As brisket goes, it's actually quite good. I'd have been thrilled with what I got if I'd ordered brisket.

I'm arguing that it's not burnt ends, which it isn't by definition. Burnt ends are chewy, smoky bits of yummy goodness. There aren't a lot of burnt ends available on a single brisket, which is why - especially at lunch - they're hard to get at most BBQ joints; they run out quickly. But at JS you can get 'em whenever you want 'em, no matter the time. Why is that? Because they're not burnt ends, that's why.

:harumph:

I eat hell out of them when somebody offers. Best ones are at someone elses tailgate drinking their beer. Ive never had bad BBQ at a tailgate someone else paid for.

Donger 11-26-2010 06:22 PM

I went to Jack's Stack last week. I was not good at all. That's the second time. I'll go back one more time, but if it sucks again, I'm done. It's a shame, because I grew up eating there.

Zarda on 87th and I-35 was much better.

BigRedChief 11-27-2010 09:05 PM

I went to a place called Porkys out by Lees Summit and Blue Springs. Best ribs I've ever had. Just a hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere. Excellent ribs

NewChief 11-27-2010 09:15 PM

Went to ok joe's in Olathe on Friday for lunch. On advice here I got Carolina style sandwich with slaw on the side (I like slaw but wanted to try both ways), fries, and a side of red beans and rice. It was truly exceptional. Not sure I'll ever eat anywhere else though LC's burnt ends sound lime they need to be tried.

Silock 11-27-2010 09:25 PM

I had Zarda last week because I was desperate and had no access to anything else.

I'd rather eat dog shit.

It was TERRIBLE.

BigRedChief 02-17-2011 07:23 AM

bump for overhead

suzzer99 02-17-2011 03:21 PM

So what was the verdict on that Orange County Choppers BBQ place? Is it still going now that they're feuding?

Man this thread has made me miss KC more than anything. I moved away in 1996, before most anyone had ever heard of OK Joes, even though I only lived about 2 miles away (sad, I could have been eating there for years w/o the lines). I just ordered some sauce from them because I can't wait until I come back for Xmas to try it.

I did have some Gates when I was back over Xmas and have to agree about the fattiness of the brisket. A little fat is good, but I thought the sandwich crossed over the line. I'm glad to know I wasn't just crazy. I get real BBQ so rarely I wasn't sure if I was just remembering it wrong.

I have found a couple passable places out here in LA. One called KC BBQ, is run by an ex-Gates employee. The nice thing about that place is it's also a bar and has a big Chiefs following. Eating pretty good KC-style BBQ in a bar, watching the Chiefs actually win this year, with 50+ beers to choose from = heaven. They also have a pecan pie a la mode that is amazing.

The other is this place, which I just discovered 2 days ago:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5499/jrsbbq.jpg

You just know a place that looks like that, in a sketchy neighborhood, is going to be pretty good. I was not disappointed. I took 2 coworkers who had never had real BBQ before. They loved it. The brisket was lean but juicy and the sauce was a little smoky and not too sweet like you usually get out here.

Bowser 02-17-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7202047)
I had Zarda last week because I was desperate and had no access to anything else.

I'd rather eat dog shit.

It was TERRIBLE.

The last time I had Zarda's, I ate at the one on 87th street. Never again.