ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Patriots' Hernandez Questioned By Police in Homicide Probe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273914)

ct 06-21-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9767055)
You should also teach them about the justice system and how people are innocent until proven guilty.

Oh get over it, seriously. Innocent people do not behave like this. Any justice system will only work if you use the brain in your head.

Fat Elvis 06-21-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9767055)
You should also teach them about the justice system and how people are innocent until proven guilty.

Whoa...whoa...whoa there; this is 'merica--we don't need any of your fancy high-falutin' notions about due process here. Heck, just look at his last name. You know he is an illegal. Ship his ass back to Mexico where it belongs. If we just had more guns, we could of kept him on the other side of the river where he belongs instead of killing our citizens, using our scholarships, taking our jobs and ruining our health care system.

DaneMcCloud 06-21-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 9767064)
Oh get over it, seriously. Innocent people do not behave like this. Any justice system will only work if you use the brain in your head.

Good God.

While it *appears* that he's involved, without due process, this country would completely cease to exist.

In this day of instant information, I realize that it's become part of the national pastime to convict people via the media. But the man has RIGHTS under our constitution and just like any criminal investigation, it needs to run its course before a conviction can occur.

Amnorix 06-21-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 9766723)
I wonder why he would smash the camera on home security instead of just erasing footage?

Presumably because he's a very dim bulb.

ClevelandBronco 06-21-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9767169)
Good God.

While it *appears* that he's involved, without due process, this country would completely cease to exist.

In this day of instant information, I realize that it's become part of the national pastime to convict people via the media. But the man has RIGHTS under our constitution and just like any criminal investigation, it needs to run its course before a conviction can occur.

That's certainly a cornerstone of our legal system, but public opinion doesn't operate under the constraint of innocent until proven. Neither should we aspire to it, IMHO.

I mean, was Michael Jackson a pedophile?

Herdandez leads a public life and the public is under no obligation to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's the bargain he made for his money.

WhawhaWhat 06-21-2013 12:12 PM

Somebody Sent An Edible Arrangement To Aaron Hernandez's House

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNS25XvCUAAMjrg.jpg

DaneMcCloud 06-21-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 9767191)
That's certainly a cornerstone of our legal system, but public opinion doesn't operate under the constraint of innocent until proven. Neither should we aspire to it, IMHO.

The biggest issue today, IMO, is instant social media. The "Court of Public Opinion" is scary to me. There's too much of a "mob mentality" in most cases. Whether it's a case like this or any other heinous crime, whether it's Twitter or Facebook or forums like this, there are too many people that scream out "Kill him!" or "He's guilty", blah, blah, blah.

In many cases, it's almost barbaric the way people behave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 9767191)
Herdandez leads a public life and the public is under no obligation to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's the bargain he made for his money.

That applies to everyone these days, whether it's Jodi Arias or George Zimmerman or Aaron Hernandez. Because of social media, people are convicted in the "Court of Public Opinion" long before they're tried in a criminal case.

Thank God that our Founding Fathers set up a system in which public opinion isn't law.

Dave Lane 06-21-2013 12:18 PM

Oh chit! Now its really not good.

Quote:

The latest development comes from FOX 25, which reports that neighbors heard gunshots early Monday morning. Per FOX 25, video shows Hernandez and two other men walking into his house “within minutes” after the shots were heard.

FOX 25 reports that the shots were heard by neighbors between 3:00 and 3:30 a.m. ET on Monday, but that they didn’t report the noise to police at the time.

Also, FOX 25 confirms that the hard drive attached to Hernandez’s video surveillance system was “heavily damaged” when police arrived at the home. ABC has reported that Hernandez’s cell phone and surveillance system had been damaged.

Earlier today, SI.com reported that Hernandez “likely” will be arrested. It’s unclear what he would be charged with at this point. Even if he’s not charged with killing 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, whose body was found Monday in an industrial park roughly a mile from Hernandez’s house, Hernandez could face a variety of potential charges, from accessory to obstruction of justice.

bunger 06-21-2013 12:42 PM

An arrest warrant has been issued.
Uh OH!!!

Amnorix 06-21-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9767196)
The biggest issue today, IMO, is instant social media. The "Court of Public Opinion" is scary to me. There's too much of a "mob mentality" in most cases. Whether it's a case like this or any other heinous crime, whether it's Twitter or Facebook or forums like this, there are too many people that scream out "Kill him!" or "He's guilty", blah, blah, blah.

In many cases, it's almost barbaric the way people behave.

That applies to everyone these days, whether it's Jodi Arias or George Zimmerman or Aaron Hernandez. Because of social media, people are convicted in the "Court of Public Opinion" long before they're tried in a criminal case.

Thank God that our Founding Fathers set up a system in which public opinion isn't law.

This is nothing new. The British soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre were found NOT guilty. Know who their lawyer was? John Adams. Due process was very important to the founders, especially due to the experience with the British Star Chamber.

DaneMcCloud 06-21-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9767263)
This is nothing new. The British soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre were found NOT guilty. Know who their lawyer was? John Adams. Due process was very important to the founders, especially due to the experience with the British Star Chamber.

Oh, I know. It still disgusts me, however, especially in the internet age.

More people are willing to "fry" someone without Due Process and I find it sickening.

ct 06-21-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9767169)
Good God.

Good God, use your brain on a case by case basis. Dude is a historical thug, and has destroyed evidence to cover up a murder. He'll have his days in court, and every right to defend himself, and for that i'm damn proud. But he's guilty of some slimy shit, beit straight up murder or very obvious cover up of a murder, and on a case by case basis, this is pretty apparent even outside of his civil rights to due process.

Rain Man 06-21-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9766865)
The ones I really feel bad for are the fans whose kids have a Hernandez shirt. I don't know if mine do, but I'm going to look and if they do I'm going to trash them, even if only as a life lesson for the boys.

I saw a guy in our grocery store the other day wearing a Bill Romanowski jersey. In that case it's even worse because you knew who he was when you bought it.

DaneMcCloud 06-21-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 9767289)
Good God, use your brain on a case by case basis. Dude is a historical thug, and has destroyed evidence to cover up a murder. He'll have his days in court, and every right to defend himself, and for that i'm damn proud. But he's guilty of some slimy shit, beit straight up murder or very obvious cover up of a murder, and on a case by case basis, this is pretty apparent even outside of his civil rights to due process.

Let's hope the state of Massachusetts just locks him up and throws away the key before performing Due Process because of something you read on the internet.

:rolleyes:

ClevelandBronco 06-21-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9767196)
The biggest issue today, IMO, is instant social media. The "Court of Public Opinion" is scary to me. There's too much of a "mob mentality" in most cases. Whether it's a case like this or any other heinous crime, whether it's Twitter or Facebook or forums like this, there are too many people that scream out "Kill him!" or "He's guilty", blah, blah, blah...

Twitter, etc. really only change the scale of a phenomenon that has always existed. I know that you're surrounded by people who are especially susceptible because they're so widely recognized, but ask Fatty Arbuckle whether this is anything new under the sun.

Reminds me of how it was decades ago when I lived briefly in a small town in Ohio.