ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Miami reporter says we signed McIntosh (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159157)

siberian khatru 03-04-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
Does this mean Black is gone? I'd actually like to keep Black, and put him at RG. I guess is depends on anyone offering Black LT money.

Me too. I was hoping that signing McIntosh gave the Chiefs leverage to re-sign Black at G money, and that it didn't mean that they were washing their hands of Black completely.

FringeNC 03-04-2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Who do you think our LT should be?

I think Jordan Black sucks at LT, just like we all do. My guess, though, is that Jordan Black ranks higher than this guy on most free-agent lists.

If it were me, I'd probably play Svitek at LT, and hope he develops.

splatbass 03-04-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf
The key here is A) What role he was brought in to play, and B) Do his skills match up with the offensive system and blocking schemes we are going to employ?

He could very well be a bad signing, or work out well for what we want to do...

None of us know the answer to those questions, but many are still able to pronounce this a bad deal. I wish I could see the future like some of these guys.

Why aren't these brilliant football analysts working in an NFL front office somewhere? They all know more that the people that do work in the front offices, just ask them.

Skip Towne 03-04-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass
None of us know the answer to those questions, but many are still able to pronounce this a bad deal. I wish I could see the future like some of these guys.

Why aren't these brilliant football analysts working in an NFL front office somewhere? They all know more that the people that do work in the front offices, just ask them.

I see you have met some of our geniouses.

jspchief 03-04-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

I think Jordan Black sucks at LT, just like we all do. My guess, though, is that Jordan Black ranks higher than this guy on most free-agent lists.

If it were me, I'd probably play Svitek at LT, and hope he develops.

McIntosh has been #2 on every OT list I've seen.

The only way Black is listed ahead of him is if the list is arranged alphabetically.

At least you admit you're just guessing though.

splatbass 03-04-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
I see you have met some of our geniouses.

Yup.

milkman 03-04-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass

If a person can't discuss his opinion here, then what the hell is the point of these football discussion boards?

And what the hell is your dumbass doing here?

FringeNC 03-04-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

McIntosh has been #2 on every OT list I've seen.

The only way Black is listed ahead of him is if the list is arranged alphabetically.

At least you admit you're just guessing though.

Well...I just looked at 3 sites quickly. 1 for Black, 1 for McIntosh, and one were they are both listed as "others".

Sporting News rankings:

#

Offensive tackles
1. Leonard Davis, LT, Cardinals
2. Jon Stinchcomb, RT, Saints (re-signed)
3. Marc Colombo, RT, Cowboys
4. Anthony Clement, RT, Jets
5. Jordan Black, LT, Chiefs
# Full OT free-agent list

Good pass-protecting left tackles don't usually make it to the free-agent market. Even though there isn't much help here for strong blindside protection, there are some big players who can boost off-tackle/perimeter teams' running games. Davis is the biggest and best tackle on the list, but buyers must beware because he never lived up to expectations in Arizona and he wants big bucks. Stinchcomb, coming off a breakthrough season in which he started every game for New Orleans, figures to be a better value.

The Bad Guy 03-04-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:

Well...I just looked at 3 sites quickly. 1 for Black, 1 for McIntosh, and one were they are both listed as "others".

Sporting News rankings:

#

Offensive tackles
1. Leonard Davis, LT, Cardinals
2. Jon Stinchcomb, RT, Saints (re-signed)
3. Marc Colombo, RT, Cowboys
4. Anthony Clement, RT, Jets
5. Jordan Black, LT, Chiefs
# Full OT free-agent list

Good pass-protecting left tackles don't usually make it to the free-agent market. Even though there isn't much help here for strong blindside protection, there are some big players who can boost off-tackle/perimeter teams' running games. Davis is the biggest and best tackle on the list, but buyers must beware because he never lived up to expectations in Arizona and he wants big bucks. Stinchcomb, coming off a breakthrough season in which he started every game for New Orleans, figures to be a better value.

The Sporting News is about one of the worst evaluators I have ever seen.

They have Brady Quinn falling to 23 in their latest mock draft and even had us drafting Brandon Browner, a guy the Broncos signed as undrafted FA, as our first rounder either last year or the year before.

FringeNC 03-04-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
The Sporting News is about one of the worst evaluators I have ever seen.

They have Brady Quinn falling to 23 in their latest mock draft and even had us drafting Brandon Browner, a guy the Broncos signed as undrafted FA, as our first rounder either last year or the year before.

Yeah, whatever. Not going to get into a debate about who the best talent evaluating publications are.

The team signing Jordan Black will read some good scouting reports and press clippings about him, too.

Signing free-agents isn't necessarily a good thing. Other teams are bidding on these guys, too. We bid the highest. Are we smarter than other teams, or...

jspchief 03-04-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Yeah, whatever. Not going to get into a debate about who the best talent evaluating publications are.

The team signing Jordan Black will read some good scouting reports and press clippings about him, too.

Signing free-agents isn't necessarily a good thing. Other teams are bidding on these guys, too. We bid the highest. Are we smarter than other teams, or...

We had to sign someone. McIntosh has about 5x the experience of Black, and about 10x the experience of anyone on our roster.

As much as you bitch about our offensive drop-off, I expect you'd be the last person that wanted to go into the year with no one at LT.

JohnnyV13 03-04-2007 02:16 PM

Uh

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
This has nothing to do with Herman ****ing Edwards.

This is only about Mike Solari.

I am only going by memory here, but I can't think of one O-Lineman that Solari actually developed.

I think he's pretty damn good when it comes to scheming for run blocking.

I just don't know that he is a good teacher.

Uh....John Tait and Brian Waters.

penchief 03-04-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
LOL......Brock thinks Jared Allen is an elite defensive end, he's not a homer?

I think Brock is right. When you look at solo tackles and forced fumbles (and not just sacks), which DE in the league was better last year?

FringeNC 03-04-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

We had to sign someone. McIntosh has about 5x the experience of Black, and about 10x the experience of anyone on our roster.

As much as you bitch about our offensive drop-off, I expect you'd be the last person that wanted to go into the year with no one at LT.

Our offensive woes run much deeper than a sub-par left tackle. Herm Edwards offensive philosophy is play-not-to-lose. And our pass protection problems were more than just Black, although he was bad. Personally, I think our pass protection will suck as long as LJ is our running back. He's terrible in that regard.

penchief 03-04-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Our offensive woes run much deeper than a sub-par left tackle. Herm Edwards offensive philosophy is play-not-to-lose. And our pass protection problems were more than just Black, although he was bad. Personally, I think our pass protection will suck as long as LJ is our running back. He's terrible in that regard.

You act as if the running back is the one and only key to pass protection. While it does help, that doesn't mean that Barry Sanders wasn't great because he couldn't block like Priest Holmes.

On the other hand, Priest Holmes is no Larry Johnson when it comes to the unique set of skills that LJ brings to running the ball. JMO.