ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

Infidel Goat 12-13-2012 08:05 AM

From the press conference, it looks like Wade Davis took #22 as Kelvin Herrera already has #40.

I kind of liked the WD-40 nickname. Oh well...

Archie F. Swin 12-13-2012 08:34 AM

what does a ticket to a ST game cost? Are there opportunities to interact with players?

alnorth 12-13-2012 10:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9204459)
what does a ticket to a ST game cost? Are there opportunities to interact with players?

Generally, about $20-25 for good seats, mid to high teens for OK seats, and $5 to sit on the grass past the outfield wall. Lots of people bring a blanket or two and do that. The Surprise KC/TEX facility is actually one of the newer, nicer ones. The best facility, by far not even close, is Salt River Fields at Talking Stick (ARI/COL). Its not fair to compare to that though, its Arizona's spring park and they spent a ton on it. That place often sells out, especially the Arizona games. You must buy tickets way in advance for that, and even the $5 grassy "seats" fill up before the game. The SF Giants park and the Cubs park also sells out sometimes. One of my favorite places was the Angels park (Tempe Diablo), just because of the scenery past the outfield while watching the game. They do have a lot of bleachers, though. Other people might have their favorites, but if I had to pick only 3 parks to see, I'd go with Surprise, Tempe Diablo, and Salt River Fields.

Its a freaking desert, so don't be surprised if it gets a bit cool at night, and do not skimp on the sunblock during the day. (especially at the CWS/LAD facility. Everything reflects light at Camelback Ranch and there's almost no shade, you'll roast if you don't have sunblock) Also, if you've never seen the Grand Canyon, you might want to spend a day there, bring a jacket because Northern AZ can be a lot cooler than Phoenix.

edit: here's a picture in each of those parks

Archie F. Swin 12-13-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9204622)
Also, if you've never seen the Grand Canyon, you might want to spend a day there, bring a jacket because Northern AZ can be a lot cooler than Phoenix.

Are there affordable family accommodations near the south rim, or do you have to stay near I 40 for something less than $100 a night? I need to travel on the cheap!

alnorth 12-13-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9204655)
Are there affordable family accommodations near the south rim, or do you have to stay near I 40 for something less than $100 a night? I need to travel on the cheap!

No idea. I started in Phoenix, drove there early in the morning, spent 7 or 8 hours walking around taking pictures and being awestruck, ate at a restaurant in a little village south of grand canyon catering to tourists, then drove back to my hotel room in Phoenix that night.

Fun fact: there's a huge elevation difference driving from there to Phoenix or vice-versa, your ears will pop.

duncan_idaho 12-13-2012 11:48 AM

Need a laugh?

Here's a trade proposal from everyone's favorite Orioles forum:

Jake Arrieta
Zach Britton
Chris Davis
Xavier Avery

for

Mark Teixeira (I mean, he stinks in New York, so they'd totally trade him to a division rival)
Gary Sanchez (I mean, he's ONLY a top 30 prospect).

Two failed pitching prospects, a 4th OF and a guy with 40-HR power are totally enough!

Infidel Goat 12-13-2012 12:21 PM

Why are they talking about trades? I thought they were already a lock for the World Series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9204818)
Need a laugh?

Here's a trade proposal from everyone's favorite Orioles forum:

Jake Arrieta
Zach Britton
Chris Davis
Xavier Avery

for

Mark Teixeira (I mean, he stinks in New York, so they'd totally trade him to a division rival)
Gary Sanchez (I mean, he's ONLY a top 30 prospect).

Two failed pitching prospects, a 4th OF and a guy with 40-HR power are totally enough!

Chris Meck 12-13-2012 12:31 PM

I think it should be:

2013-It's ON, mother****ers!

mr. tegu 12-13-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9204943)
I think it should be:

2013-It's ON, mother****ers!

I like it! :thumb:

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 12:39 PM

Looks like Dayton is "All in" on Francoeur as the 2013 RF. Yippee...

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/12...k=omni_popular

Nightfyre 12-13-2012 12:42 PM

GWhat I took away from that article is that he's looking for sabermetric help.

Reaper16 12-13-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9204968)

Check out the bottom of the article:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Star
The Royals are hiring. According to an advertisement at teamworkonline.com, they are “seeking a highly motivated and creative statistician/analyst to develop analytics for use in decision-making by the Baseball Operations department.” Moore said it’s a new position as the team continues to build its analytics department.

I assume by "creative" they mean someone who is willing to contort stats in such a way that Dayton's favorites, like Francouer, look somehow better than the piles of shit that they truly are.

BigCatDaddy 12-13-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9204968)

I kind of like Mendoza as the fifth guy, but Moore didn't even mention him.

SPchief 12-13-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9204984)
I kind of like Mendoza as the fifth guy, but Moore didn't even mention him.

But the bright side is that Hoch isn't penciled in as a starter

Reaper16 12-13-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 9205000)
But the bright side is that Hoch isn't penciled in as a starter

But on the dim side, Hoch is a better baseball player than Francouer.