ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports NBA Offseason thread 2013 edition (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274317)

Mother****erJones 07-08-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9799755)
I think McHale is an atrocious coach, who will never get the Rockets where they need to go. That's going to be their biggest issue.

The Rockets should be sucking Phil Jackson's dick to get him to coach the Rockets

-King- 07-08-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9799837)
The Rockets should be sucking Phil Jackson's dick to get him to coach the Rockets

He's not coaching anywhere other than LA if he does ever coach again.

Mother****erJones 07-08-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9799950)
He's not coaching anywhere other than LA if he does ever coach again.

Ya I know. But I bet Houston would be tempting if they paid him and gave him what he wants.

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9799956)
Ya I know. But I bet Houston would be tempting if they paid him and gave him what he wants.

No way, Man.

He's not going to mess up his relationship with Jeanie, just to get yet another ring.

What needs to happen is that Jim Buss is fired and replaced with Phil.

Mother****erJones 07-08-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9799967)
No way, Man.

He's not going to mess up his relationship with Jeanie, just to get yet another ring.

I agree. It was just my opinion. Never say never lol

I still can't believe Buss ****ed the coaching fiasco up and hired D'Antoni

DaneMcCloud 07-08-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9799974)
I still can't believe Buss ****ed the coaching fiasco up and hired D'Antoni

He's a moron. I can't believe that the family signed off on him running the show (and they can't, either).

KevB 07-08-2013 09:54 PM

Zilla, I took the time to go back and look at the Rocket's draft picks since 2006 instead of just going on memory. I'm not sure why the hate. The highest pick they've had was #8, and they traded it for 5 years of useful Shane Battier. The next highest pick was 12, Jeremy Lamb, who still has a very good chance to be a good NBA player. Beyond that, they've hit on some legit NBA players in Aaron Brooks, Novak, Budinger, Carl Landry, Scola (in trade from Spurs), Batum (who they traded but should have kept), Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Parsons and Terrence Jones. No real superstars, but very good judge of NBA talent. I also like their pick this year, Canaan. On top of that, he brought in Patrick Beverly off the scrap heap who appears to be a nice backup PG.

The Bad Guy 07-08-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9799967)
No way, Man.

100x this.

chiefzilla1501 07-08-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9800116)
Zilla, I took the time to go back and look at the Rocket's draft picks since 2006 instead of just going on memory. I'm not sure why the hate. The highest pick they've had was #8, and they traded it for 5 years of useful Shane Battier. The next highest pick was 12, Jeremy Lamb, who still has a very good chance to be a good NBA player. Beyond that, they've hit on some legit NBA players in Aaron Brooks, Novak, Budinger, Carl Landry, Scola (in trade from Spurs), Batum (who they traded but should have kept), Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Parsons and Terrence Jones. No real superstars, but very good judge of NBA talent. I also like their pick this year, Canaan. On top of that, he brought in Patrick Beverly off the scrap heap who appears to be a nice backup PG.

I think the picks have been okay. Not great, not terrible (over the past 5 years). But you're right, not bad either. I'm mostly critical of the mish-mosh of players and constant roster churn, and picking up players without any care for how they fit in a scheme. I'm not crazy about McHale. And I think they made a big mistake in getting Lin and coupling him with Asik. I'm not crazy about the strategy, but I guess there's a good chance it works and I like that people have talked me into agreeing that they did a good job of making sure these weren't cap killer mistakes.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-08-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9800145)
I think the picks have been okay. Not great, not terrible (over the past 5 years). But you're right, not bad either. I'm mostly critical of the mish-mosh of players and constant roster churn, and picking up players without any care for how they fit in a scheme. I'm not crazy about McHale. And I think they made a big mistake in getting Lin and coupling him with Asik. I'm not crazy about the strategy, but I guess there's a good chance it works and I like that people have talked me into agreeing that they did a good job of making sure these weren't cap killer mistakes.

I don't think that you understand what Morey was doing.

He knew that he wasn't winning without superstars, so he collected assets. He then pooled those assets to trade for the superstars you can't get if you are drafting outside the top 3-5 in the draft.

It's precisely the opposite of what the Chiefs do.

Simply Red 07-08-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9800162)

I still think I might hate Clark Hunt.

Simply Red 07-08-2013 10:48 PM

do you all still like Chunt? Should I create a thread?

chiefzilla1501 07-09-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9800162)
I don't think that you understand what Morey was doing.

He knew that he wasn't winning without superstars, so he collected assets. He then pooled those assets to trade for the superstars you can't get if you are drafting outside the top 3-5 in the draft.

Retrospectively, yes, that's what he did. But he was ready to walk into 2012 with Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik as his two foundational superstars. He overpaid for both of these guys. Nevermind that Lin doesn't fit McHale's system, and Asik is a terrible option for pick and roll (Lin's forte`). because he's clumsy with the ball.

It's curious that the trade happened after Lin was an absolute disaster in the 2012 preseason. Lin and Harden are very similar players who don't belong on the court together. So the question of the hour is, if Lin had a strong 2012 preseason, would Morey have made the trade for Harden? Or... given the timing of the trade and how much Houston gave up, was it a reactionary move?

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-09-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9800312)
Retrospectively, yes, that's what he did. But he was ready to walk into 2012 with Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik as his two foundational superstars. He overpaid for both of these guys. Nevermind that Lin doesn't fit McHale's system, and Asik is a terrible option for pick and roll (Lin's forte`). because he's clumsy with the ball.

It's curious that the trade happened after Lin was an absolute disaster in the 2012 preseason. Lin and Harden are very similar players who don't belong on the court together. So the question of the hour is, if Lin had a strong 2012 preseason, would Morey have made the trade for Harden? Or... given the timing of the trade and how much Houston gave up, was it a reactionary move?

Bill Simmons, who is friends with Morey, spoke again and again of Morey acquiring assets throughout all of 2011 and 2012. This isn't revisionist history; this is somewhat formulating a plan and executing it.

And Houston gave up nothing for Harden. You don't avoid picking up All-Stars for Jeremy Lin. If Lin would have scored 35 PPG in the preseason Morey still would have traded for him...because...wait for it...he wants assets.

chiefzilla1501 07-09-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9800482)
Bill Simmons, who is friends with Morey, spoke again and again of Morey acquiring assets throughout all of 2011 and 2012. This isn't revisionist history; this is somewhat formulating a plan and executing it.

And Houston gave up nothing for Harden. You don't avoid picking up All-Stars for Jeremy Lin. If Lin would have scored 35 PPG in the preseason Morey still would have traded for him...because...wait for it...he wants assets.

Fair enough. I guess given the nba, it's a good strategy. I prefer ready, aim, fire vs ready, fire, aim but get that in a superstar driven league like the nba, you have to do that.