ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs' offense: "one of the worst in the league, by nearly every measure" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276680)

Chris Meck 09-26-2013 09:51 AM

I don't know about many of you, but I fully expected the offense to struggle a bit early in the year. It's a young line, and a new, complex offensive system. I'm really only surprised that the defense has been so lights out that we're 3-0. This bodes well, as I think the second half of the season the offense should be better than the first half.

Remember year one of Vermeil/Saunders? TrINT? Anybody think that offense would go on to do what it did in the next few seasons?

I'm not worried.

Rausch 09-26-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10021017)
Goddammit, people: The interior of the offensive line is complete and utter ASS. How many play have been run to the right, where Eric Fisher is getting his ass handed to him?

Until this offensive line plays better as a unit, the offense as a whole is going to struggle.

Do any of you guys even watch the games?

We are BETTER up the middle.

Albert is injured (again) but playing and Fish flat out sucks unless he can square up and just maul a guy. And yea, he can and has blown up defenders on running plays.

As far as the interior I completely disagree...

HemiEd 09-26-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 10020731)
You don't get extra points winning pretty or get less points for winning ugly. At the end of the day a win is a win. In the 90s we used to dominate teams in the regular season only to lose in the playoffs. How we win in the regular season means little as long as we win. Once the playoffs start then anything can happen.

In the 90s, the Chiefs used to win games just like they are doing now. The D. They didn't have an offense that could score.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10020619)
I can only assume you've never watched a AR coached team in Philly.

Top 10 offense in points scored in 8 of his last 11 seasons.

Top 8 in 4 of his last 5. Over 26 PPG.

AR teams are not "reserved". They score points - a lot of them.

So, you thought a team that was near dead last in nearly every offensive category was going to magically and immediately turn that around in one season with four new offensive lineman, two broken tight ends off the street, no true slot receiver and limited camp time together due to the new CBA?

Seriously?

Ace Gunner 09-26-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10021017)
Goddammit, people: The interior of the offensive line is complete and utter ASS. How many play have been run to the right, where Eric Fisher is getting his ass handed to him?

Until this offensive line plays better as a unit, the offense as a whole is going to struggle.

Do any of you guys even watch the games?

at some point you need to come to terms with the fact most of the "QB sucks" crowd here doesn't have any clue what role the OL plays in any offense -- not even the 2003 Chiefs offense that they watched maul teams for years.

Trint Green, Eddie K, Preist -- that is their knowledge of "offense".

Imon Yourside 09-26-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10021044)
So, you thought a team that was near dead last in nearly every offensive category was going to magically and immediately turn that around in one season with four new offensive lineman, two broken tight ends off the street, no true slot receiver and limited camp time together due to the new CBA?

Seriously?

Everybody else is doing it....why can't we?!?!?!?!. :)

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10021039)
We are BETTER up the middle.

Albert is injured (again) but playing and Fish flat out sucks unless he can square up and just maul a guy. And yea, he can and has blown up defenders on running plays.

As far as the interior I completely disagree...

Allen sucks, Hudson has struggled, as has Asamoah.

They are in no way, shape or form "better".

Rausch 09-26-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10021036)
I don't think you can just take away one team's defense points then re-insert them into the rankings while leaving in everyone else's defense points. How is that relevant?

It's not, but that'd take a lot of effort...

keg in kc 09-26-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10021044)

Seriously?

It seems to me his comment was more about the team philosophy and how people are for whatever reason attributing the offensive struggles to successfully executing a conservative scheme rather than failing to execute an aggressive one.

The reasons for that failure of execution would then fall into the items you listed.

duncan_idaho 09-26-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10021036)
Not reading through everything to see if this has been mentioned but this is stupid:

I don't think you can just take away one team's defense points then re-insert them into the rankings while leaving in everyone else's defense points. How is that relevant?

Yeah the offense is weak, but I hate stupid stats like this.

Chiefs offense would be tied for 19th in the league in PPG if you took away all defensive scores.

keg in kc 09-26-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 10021038)
I don't know about many of you, but I fully expected the offense to struggle a bit early in the year. It's a young line, and a new, complex offensive system. I'm really only surprised that the defense has been so lights out that we're 3-0. This bodes well, as I think the second half of the season the offense should be better than the first half.

Remember year one of Vermeil/Saunders? TrINT? Anybody think that offense would go on to do what it did in the next few seasons?

Yes, actually. They absolutely blew up in the 3rd game of the 2001 season (IIRC...), on the road against the redskins.

Hopefully something similar happens with this offense...

And I do agree with you on expecting them to struggle (although not quite to the degree that they have). And I do expect them to improve at some point. But at this point, however, we can really only discuss what's happened on the field so far. Anything else is conjecture.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10021067)
Yes, actually. They absolutely blew up in the 3rd game of the 2001 season (IIRC...), on the road against the redskins.

And I do agree with you on expecting them to struggle (although not quite to the degree that they have). And I do expect them to improve at some point. But at this point, however, we can really only discuss what's happened on the field so far. Anything else is conjecture.

That was because Saunders finally figured out that Holmes more than a third down back.

Marcellus 09-26-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10021067)

You know what happened to cause that? They gave Priest the ball regularly and stopped using him as a 3rd down back.

We need to run JC more.

Titty Meat 09-26-2013 10:03 AM

This is brand new information

keg in kc 09-26-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10021072)
That was because Saunders finally figure out that Holmes more than a third down back.

Yep.

Also became pretty obvious later on that the in-season acquisition of Eddie Kennison was going to be great. That team did have perhaps the worst starting set of WRs I think I've ever seen through 10 or 12 weeks.