ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics AV Receiver (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281320)

Miles 02-08-2014 02:33 PM

I suggest putting almost all of your budget into the speakers. The changes in technology happen a lot quicker with your receiver and a lower level of receiver can often adequately drive quality speakers but a high-end receiver will not make lower level speakers all that much better.

Anyong Bluth 02-08-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 10420717)
I suggest putting almost all of your budget into the speakers. The changes in technology happen a lot quicker with your receiver and a lower level of receiver can often adequately drive quality speakers but a high-end receiver will not make lower level speakers all that much better.

Yep. Technology wise for speakers- you may see an advance like once a decade of significance, and most of the time it's use of new materials.

Even then, I don't know how much it is an Advance? Up through the 90's I definitely think they were greatly refining speaker technology, and maybe someone if more familiar than myself, but it feels like since then, the gains have been pretty modest.

A lot more marketing terminology and feature names that for the most part is buzzword selling tactics.

By the way, can I say I hate that this topic came up. Only because I've been checking out avrs and new speakers this morning / afternoon on and off, and flirting with the idea of getting some new toys to upgrade or add to my hts. It's completely silly and I still have like 3 or 4 other technology home projects and 3 car upgrade projects still tucked away in their boxes that I still need to get around too.

ragedogg69 02-08-2014 07:25 PM

I have bought Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha and Onkyo.

Technics bought 10 years ago and had a slight hiss at low volume. stilll going strong

Pioneer just bought and has a long sync time to switch res on HDMI inputs.

Yamaha is my favorite. Only didnt support 3D is the only reason I replaced it.

Onkyo is 5 years old. Developed an issue of having to warm up in cold weather to output sound. Seriously. In winter I had to wait 5 minutes before getting any sound out of it. The newer Onkyos are notorious from having bad HDMI capacitors that fail. So I stayed away when shopping for a new one.

Rausch 02-09-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10419476)
My thought currently was a Onkyo TX-NR626, Sony STR-DN840 or Pioneer VSX-1023-K.

Any thoughts on any of these?

Agreed.

I have a Pioneer VSX-702S I bought back in 93 or 94 and the thing still runs great.

When I was in my 20's I had a pretty sweet set up. Started by buying cheap speakers and then saved up for a nice reciever. After that saved up for the best center and surround speakers I could afford (NHT Super 0's.) Then worked on a 50 disk changer (hey, it was the 90's.)

I'd recommend buying one really nice component at a time. You need your speakers to tonally match but other than that not a big deal.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V675 (I know it was not any of the 3 that was on my "final" cut list). I like the reliability of the Yamaha's though. On top of that, I got a great deal through the father-in-law who installs commercial grade AV for a living (stadiums and what not) and he used his connections.

So now I am on to looking for new speakers and a new universal remote.

Silock 02-10-2014 11:11 AM

I'm selling a pair of these. Let me know if you're interested. They're amazing speakers.

http://www.klipsch.com/klf-20/details

Rausch 02-10-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10424514)
I'm selling a pair of these. Let me know if you're interested. They're amazing speakers.

http://www.klipsch.com/klf-20/details

For some reason their site won't load...

gblowfish 02-10-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10424084)

I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V675

Yamaha makes great stuff. I've had a Yahama as my main living room receiver for many years.

I also have a Denon receiver in the master bedroom that I like very much.

Third Eye 02-10-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10424084)

I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V675 (I know it was not any of the 3 that was on my "final" cut list). I like the reliability of the Yamaha's though. On top of that, I got a great deal through the father-in-law who installs commercial grade AV for a living (stadiums and what not) and he used his connections.

So now I am on to looking for new speakers and a new universal remote.

You won't be disappointed, that's a solid receiver.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 11:53 AM

Any suggestions on remotes? What does every one currently use?

Still the Harmony One? Or has anyone moved to the Harmony Ultimate?

srvy 02-10-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10421340)
I have bought Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha and Onkyo.

Technics bought 10 years ago and had a slight hiss at low volume. stilll going strong

Pioneer just bought and has a long sync time to switch res on HDMI inputs.

Yamaha is my favorite. Only didnt support 3D is the only reason I replaced it.

Onkyo is 5 years old. Developed an issue of having to warm up in cold weather to output sound. Seriously. In winter I had to wait 5 minutes before getting any sound out of it. The newer Onkyos are notorious from having bad HDMI capacitors that fail. So I stayed away when shopping for a new one.

This ^^^ on Onkyo and if dont believe google onkyo and HDMI problems. It has put a bad rep on a company that may not recover. My Onk 705 hdmi board went capoof right after warranty.
If I was looking id go Marranz, Pioneer or Outlaw.

srvy 02-10-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10424582)
Any suggestions on remotes? What does every one currently use?

Still the Harmony One? Or has anyone moved to the Harmony Ultimate?

I would search one the smartphone or tablet apps they are pretty good . I have the Logitech one and have been very happy. But I have an app for my windows phone that i use now.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10424656)
I would search one the smartphone or tablet apps they are pretty good . I have the Logitech one and have been very happy. But I have an app for my windows phone that i use now.

In the end, I will have the tablet and both my wide and my Samsung S4 phones. However, I want a remote that we can use as well if any guests come over (in-laws) that they can use that will turn on the receiver on the right settings and right source for the TV without me giving everyone a tutorial of it first.

I am starting to lean toward the Harmony Ultimate, but it is very pricey and I have a hard time justifying that much for a remote.

srvy 02-10-2014 12:52 PM

Harmonies are nice and pretty easy online setup.

Might look at urc also as they let you add macros but they are more time consuming to setup.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10424717)
Harmonies are nice and pretty easy online setup.

Might look at urc also as they let you add macros but they are more time consuming to setup.

I looked at that... the draw back that I have read for the URC's is that you have to purchase it with the software which means that you have to go through an authorized dealer (so no price breaks).