ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Female led superhero movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287961)

Rausch 10-30-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11072192)
I will see Captain Marvel opening weekend. Wonder Woman will be a rental for me, but so was the Superman reboot, Amazing Spiderman, and Fantastic Four. The new Superman and Fantastic Four movies will be rentals for me, if I bother. So in that vein, a female led Wonder Woman will be higher on my priority than Supes/Batman/FF.

I really have no desire to see any of that.

I'll admit I was in the minority that liked the last Superman film and I hate the character.

I loved the FF as a kid but the first two were bad and this new one looks turr-able...

Deberg_1990 10-30-2014 06:46 PM

We already have female superhero movies.

They are called the Hunger Games

AustinChief 10-30-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11072143)
I don't know much about Carol Danvers at this point, but I'm certainly not chauvinistic to say i wouldn't see it because its a female lead.

I'd rather see the Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel. She would be easy to tie in using the Nebula storyline... and bonus of more Karen Gillan! (Plus Direkshun will get a woody having a BLACK female lead character)

Buehler445 10-30-2014 09:57 PM

I'd be interested.

Female lead doesn't scare me off.

Hopefully WW doesn't suck (it looks to). Hopefully they schedule in a BW movie. That would be awesome.

I liked A league of their own (I know, I know), don't have a problem with Aliens. You could argue that Deep Blue Sea had a female lead (even thought it was a shitty movie, I liked it).

It comes down to a story, like most have said here.

keg in kc 10-30-2014 10:01 PM

Wonder Woman actually looks interesting if they do the trilogy as it's currently (supposedly) on paper. That is with the first set in the 20s, the second set during WW2 and the third modern day.

I think they're also doing a good thing by introducing the character first in another film, even if the first solo movie is still an origin story. Marvel did the same thing with Black Widow, and she ended up doing well although she's not scheduled to get a flick, and they will, I assume do the same thing with Captain Marvel (just like they're doing with Black Panther - although how Ant Man and Doctor Strange will be introduced I have no idea. Suspect we'll see some lead into Ant Man as one of the Avengers 2 post credit scenes).

notorious 10-30-2014 10:01 PM

Doomsday.

Super hot female badass.

Ragged Robin 10-30-2014 10:06 PM

superhero movies are superhero movies

ThaVirus 10-30-2014 10:22 PM

Doomsday was such a shit pile.

Direckshun 10-30-2014 11:50 PM

I don't think they'll perform as well, but they'll still make absolute tons of money.

It's getting harder for "traditional" super hero films to work thanks to how much the Dark Knight and Avengers have challenged the genre.

I give Captain Marvel a great chance of success. Wonder Woman will do pretty well as well, but let's face it, DC's going to **** it up.

listopencil 10-31-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11072655)
I'd be interested.

Female lead doesn't scare me off.

Hopefully WW doesn't suck (it looks to). Hopefully they schedule in a BW movie. That would be awesome.

I liked A league of their own (I know, I know), don't have a problem with Aliens. You could argue that Deep Blue Sea had a female lead (even thought it was a shitty movie, I liked it).

It comes down to a story, like most have said here.

It was a good movie.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 12:18 AM

Warner's has no rights to Spider-Man. If anyone does Spider-Man, it's Sony.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 12:25 AM

Personally, I think it's a tough sell.

These super hero movies cost more than $200 million to create and market. While Jennifer Lawrence can put butts in the seats, she's tied to Sony and the X-Men Franchise, so she can't appear in Disney/Marvel films. Gal Gadot is pretty much an unknown in the US outside of her bit parts in the F&F franchise, so I think it would be a major gamble for her to get a standalone.

Marvel isn't even ready to give Scarlett Jo her own film so this screams to me, "Publicity".

Hammock Parties 10-31-2014 12:29 AM

Daisy Ridley is going to kick ass in the new Star Wars trilogy. I can't wait.

007 10-31-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11072808)
It was a good movie.

I really need to go watch that again sometime. One of my favorites.

keg in kc 10-31-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11072814)
Personally, I think it's a tough sell.

These super hero movies cost more than $200 million to create and market. While Jennifer Lawrence can put butts in the seats, she's tied to Sony and the X-Men Franchise, so she can't appear in Disney/Marvel films. Gal Gadot is pretty much an unknown in the US outside of her bit parts in the F&F franchise, so I think it would be a major gamble for her to get a standalone.

Marvel isn't even ready to give Scarlett Jo her own film so this screams to me, "Publicity".

We're talking about movies set for 2017 and 2018. So yeah publicity. Although also pretty ample time (and plenty of other movies) to change those dynamics. Black Widow's popularity is I think less about star power than that the character was slowly established with badass scenes as a secondary character in several other movies which were massive hits. Not to undersell the draw scarjo obviously is on her own merit. But Gal Godot not being a household name in 2014 doesn't mean she can't be one three years from now.

As for black widow, as I think I mentioned before, I (and a lot of other people...) have a feeling age of ultron could be the end for her. Which is one possible reason why they're not going down that road. Or maybe they do have a film planned and they're keeping it under wraps until after summer 15 and perpetuating the BW death rumor themselves. Or they may just view that character as supporting, thinking it's best in small doses. Or she may not want to do it. Who knows.

The lack of a Hulk movie on the calendar poses similar questions...

We do know that the Avengers roster is changing by the end of ultron, which probably plays a role in which characters are getting their own flicks.