ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs A brand spanking new Jared Allen thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=183174)

the Talking Can 04-18-2008 05:20 PM

hypothetically, you take the Pats deal and party...but surely we'd have to trade down...

the mind does race though at the leverage...we could do what the pats have done and trade down for a #1 next year....or trade down and then trade down again for a #1 next year...very nick athan-ish...lol

ChiefsCountry 04-18-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4693530)
I could see a possible move down then. I would grab Ellis with the #5 pick and then try and trade down with the Saints to the #10 pick.

I would trade #7 to Carolina to leapfrog Baltimore. At #13 - Chris Williams or Albert would be the choice.

OnTheWarpath15 04-18-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATSE (Post 4693496)
OK Mecca, tell us how stupid the Patriots are.

Considering it's from Scout, I'd be pointing the stupidity comments in that direction.

the Talking Can 04-18-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4693522)
What I don't get is this.

If it's true that the Pats are interested.....doesn't this go against everything they normally do? That would involve giving up a huge contract to a player and giving up picks to get that player.

as they showed with Moss and his contract (on a smaller scale), the Pats are in a bit of a "win now" mode...

...but I still don't think they'd really do it....if Carl gets their 1st and 3rd then he must sold his soul to the devil..

OnTheWarpath15 04-18-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 4693526)
Jared Allen sounds completely opposite of the type of player New England wants. He doesn't have the size to play DE and he doesn't have the speed to play OLB in the 3-4. Not to mention the Patriots rarely trade for players, they never pay players a lot of money, and they never enter a deal where they end up with fewer picks than when they started.

If the Patriots are truly involved in this, I'll be the most surprised person in the building.

And I'll be standing right beside you.

BigRock 04-18-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4693505)
can a team fit two top 10 picks with the rookie pool?

I'm pretty sure the rookie pool is based on the picks a team has. The Raiders last year had one of the biggest rookie pool amounts ever because they had 11 total picks, including #1 overall and like 4-5 other picks on the first day. And their pool was $6-$7 million.

The Chiefs have at least $20 some million in cap space, if not more. Especially if they aren't paying Allen. So unless they needed double the largest rookie pool in history, they should be okay.

I doubt there's anything to the Patriots talk, though. Note that they snuck the word "rumored" in there.

keg in kc 04-18-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4693538)
hypothetically, you take the Pats deal and party...but surely we'd have to trade down...

the mind does race though at the leverage...we could do what the pats have done and trade down for a #1 next year....or trade down and then trade down again for a #1 next year...

There really are an incredible number of options open with multiple picks like that.

I don't think we'll have any luck trading back from 5 (the contracts involved), but from 7, or 17? Just maybe...

Imagine a scenario where we draft, say Ellis or C Long or Ryan, then drop down from 17 to the 20s, and have, say 2 seconds and 3 thirds to use.

"!0 picks" sounds good and all, but right now only 3 of them come on day 1. "12/13/14 picks, half of them on day 1" has a whole different ring to it.

Too much to hope for, of course.

Hoover 04-18-2008 05:26 PM

Folk we have the Vikings between a rock and a hard place. The more teams that are rumored to be involved the better, the higher those teams picks are the better. The Vikings have to haul ass to get this done which is great for JA but better for us.

We are going to a nice package of picks out of this deal. If I were the an NFC team I'd call Carl and tell him he can float their name as well just to drive the price up. This is great drama.

We might as well sit back and enjoy the show. The JA trade is our AFC Championship game and the draft is our Super Bowl.

Hammock Parties 04-18-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4693543)
Considering it's from Scout, I'd be pointing the stupidity comments in that direction.

YEP LOL SCOUT IS BULLSHIT

the Talking Can 04-18-2008 05:26 PM

it's really going to suck if this trade doesn't happen...i'm having more fun dreaming about the picks than I will watching this abortion of a team play his year....

The Franchise 04-18-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4693548)
as they showed with Moss and his contract (on a smaller scale), the Pats are in a bit of a "win now" mode...

...but I still don't think they'd really do it....if Carl gets their 1st and 3rd then he must sold his soul to the devil..

Yeah but if they are in a win now mode....why would they pay $70-$80 million for Allen.....who doesn't fit their mold.....instead of paying $50 million for Asante Samuels.....who they drafted themselves.

the Talking Can 04-18-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4693561)
There really are an incredible number of options open with multiple picks like that.

I don't think we'll have any luck trading back from 5 (the contracts involved), but from 7, or 17? Just maybe...

Imagine a scenario where we draft, say Ellis or C Long or Ryan, then drop down from 17 to the 20s, and have, say 2 seconds and 3 thirds to use.

"!0 picks" sounds good and all, but right now only 3 of them come on day 1. "12/13/14 picks, half of them on day 1" has a whole different ring to it.

Too much to hope for, of course.

2 firsts
2 seconds
2 thirds....

imagine....it would be an unprecedented chance to remake this team in hyper-speed....and as I type God is placing his heel over my testicles...

the Talking Can 04-18-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4693568)
Yeah but if they are in a win now mode....why would they pay $70-$80 million for Allen.....who doesn't fit their mold.....instead of paying $50 million for Asante Samuels.....who they drafted themselves.

because they know that DE is much more important than CB...and they witnessed that fact first hand against the Giants...

Mecca 04-18-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4693568)

They value lineman over DB's look where they've spent their high picks.

Archie Bunker 04-18-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4693565)
it's really going to suck if this trade doesn't happen...i'm having more fun dreaming about the picks than I will watching this abortion of a team play his year....

I feel the exact same way. I'll be pretty disappointed if this all falls apart.