ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Well, We Probably Should Have a Brian Orakpo Thread... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196400)

milkman 11-09-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 5205709)
I think the thing about Gholston and Davis is that most of the ooh'ing and awe'ing was about how freakish they were in athleticism, that scouts were willing to look past the negatives.

Gholston and Davis both have questionable work ethics and attitudes toward the game, and both had major flaws in their scouting report that scouts hoped would be overcome. I don't know much about Orakpo, but I agree that the evluation should involve a lot more than just physical talent.

That's an easy one.

There's no question that Orakpo has a motor.

The guy brings it every snap.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:31 PM

Orakpo is 6'4", 260 lbs, runs in the 4.6'es. He benches over 500 pounds, squats somewhere over 600, and he has produced at an insane level in a BCS conference. He whipped Loadholt's ass a couple of times in the OU game, and just flat embarrassed Missouri's line.

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/tex/gra..._camp_1280.jpg

Zouk 11-09-2008 07:32 PM

Exactly the player we need.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 5205677)
Is he a Ghostlon or Vernon Davis? Or is he a Dwight Freeney with how he can change games?

I watched some Youtube clips, and I'm impressed.

He's not as physically imposing as Gholston, but is as strong, and has been very productive, just like VG was at OSU.

FWIW, the Jets aren't really using Gholston at all right now, which makes no ****ing sense, but their coaches are idiots, so what do you expect?

Basileus777 11-09-2008 07:33 PM

Hamas really has a hard-on for athletic DEs. Manny Lawson, Vernon Gholston, and now Brian Orakpo.

He is exactly what we need though. And hopefully he doesn't disappoint like Gholston and Lawson.

Basileus777 11-09-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205734)
He's not as physically imposing as Gholston, but is as strong, and has been very productive, just like VG was at OSU.

FWIW, the Jets aren't really using Gholston at all right now, which makes no ****ing sense, but their coaches are idiots, so what do you expect?

Gholston sucks right now, he hasn't earned playing time. There is no way he should get playing time instead Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5205738)
Hamas really has a hard-on for athletic DEs. Manny Lawson, Vernon Gholston, and now Brian Orakpo.

He is exactly what we need though. And hopefully he doesn't disappoint like Gholston and Lawson.

When did I ever pimp Manny Lawson?

How can Gholston be a disappointment 8 games into his rookie year?

Tribal Warfare 11-09-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 5205643)
We have 3 enormous needs:

Pass rushing RDE.
Stud MLB
Completely new right side of the line

Since we can't draft a RT or RG that high, it's down to MLB or RDE.

Hopefully this Orakpo is all that. I know little to nothing about him.

FYP

Basileus777 11-09-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205746)
When did I ever pimp Manny Lawson?

How can Gholston be a disappointment 8 games into his rookie year?

Was I wrong about Lawson? I thought you were one of the people here who wanted him.

I'm not calling Gholston a bust, but he can't even earn playing time. Jets fans aren't exactly pleased with him right now.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5205745)
Gholston sucks right now, he hasn't earned playing time. There is no way he should get playing time instead Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace.

Bryan Thomas is a mediocre OLB with no upside who is nearly 30 years old?

Has he ever even had more than 9 sacks?

the Talking Can 11-09-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205604)
If we keep playing like this, we won't be in a position to draft Stafford. It's not good or bad, it is what it is.

With that being said, a genetic freak like Rak daddy would go a long way towards fixing the ills of this defense. He's not as long as Michael Johnson, but he's fast, explosive, and incredibly strong. Plus, he's taken boxing lessons, so Krumrie will love him with his ****tard slap-fight drill.

There could be worse selections in the 3-7 range where we will most likely choose.

well, if we can't get stafford then yes DE is a top priority...

i have no idea which one is best though...i loved selvie when I watched him, but i don't know if he is big enough...

chiefzilla1501 11-09-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5205724)
That's an easy one.

There's no question that Orakpo has a motor.

The guy brings it every snap.

Good to hear. My reservation is his size and whether he'd be a liability against the run or if he'd be better off in a 3-4. But I think you could do some real interesting things with your defensive packages, if you rotate McBride, Hali, and Orakpo.

Basileus777 11-09-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205757)
Bryan Thomas is a mediocre OLB with no upside who is nearly 30 years old?

Has he ever even had more than 9 sacks?

He was basically a bust at DE, but he's been solid at OLB in the 3-4. He's better than Gholston is right now.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5205751)
Was I wrong about Lawson? I thought you were one of the people here who wanted him.

I'm not calling Gholston a bust, but he can't even earn playing time. Jets fans aren't exactly pleased with him right now.

I was absolutely not pimping Lawson. I don't even know if I've mentioned him in more than five posts in this entire time I've been on the site.

You can't blame Gholston for the fact that their team was a year into a rebuild and then decided to sell out to win now, signing a bunch of aging and past their prime veterans, and giving the young guys no time to develop.

Gholston was not going to come in and have 15 sacks his first year, but if he is given time, he can be that kind of guy, especially in a system where he attacks, attacks, and attacks.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5205767)
well, if we can't get stafford then yes DE is a top priority...

i have no idea which one is best though...i loved selvie when I watched him, but i don't know if he is big enough...

Selvie: :Orakpo

Hali: : Mario Williams