ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV What "Classic" Movies Have You Never Seen? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280635)

Donger 01-13-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10367103)
I've seen many movies, but NOT seen many that leave my friends horrified.

The Big Lebowski
Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Deer Hunter

I can't even explain why I have these gaps in my movie watching, but they're there. :shrug:

Other than Deer Hunter, I've not seen those either.

Easy 6 01-13-2014 01:44 PM

Deer Hunter was great... if you like being drawn into a soul crushing miasma of despair and hopelessness.

I dont care about the cast, it wouldnt bother me if I had never bothered watching it.

Dayze 01-13-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10367144)
Deer Hunter was great... if you like being drawn into a soul crushing miasma of despair and hopelessness.

I dont care about the cast, it wouldnt bother me if I had never bothered watching it.

the first night my wife and I had our first big screen back in 2007 and HD etc, we were trying to find anything on TV that was in HD just because it was amazing. we stumbled on Deer Hunter....watched the entire thing.

after it was over, I remember just turning off the TV, and we sat there looking at a black screen...not saying a word. Then my wife (while we're both staring at the blank screen) says "wow....that was ****ed up"

LMAO

Amnorix 01-13-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10367127)
All you needed was to add Apocalypse Now to have a great start on my personal top movies of all time list.

Well, you can add it cuz I haven't seen that one either. :(

And whoever posted Godfather and Casablanca -- that's two of my top three, maybe, or at least top five!

Amnorix 01-13-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10367144)

If I'm ever depressed, I better not watch Schindler's List and Leaving Las Vegas as a double feature or I'm likely to off myself.

I don't REALLY need to add a third soul crushing movie to that list (though Schindler's List had an uplifting element to it, sorta, kinda....).

Easy 6 01-13-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10367210)
the first night my wife and I had our first big screen back in 2007 and HD etc, we were trying to find anything on TV that was in HD just because it was amazing. we stumbled on Deer Hunter....watched the entire thing.

after it was over, I remember just turning off the TV, and we sat there looking at a black screen...not saying a word. Then my wife (while we're both staring at the blank screen) says "wow....that was ****ed up"

LMAO

LMAO exactly, people actually flooded the theaters for this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10367242)
If I'm ever depressed, I better not watch Schindler's List and Leaving Las Vegas as a double feature or I'm likely to off myself.

I don't REALLY need to add a third soul crushing movie to that list (though Schindler's List had an uplifting element to it, sorta, kinda....).

Two other excellent soul crushers, I once had to leave play practice for Born Yesterday because I'd made the mistake of watching Schindlers List for the first time before going in... emotional wreck, couldnt concentrate.

siberian khatru 01-13-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10367242)

Testament

Frosty 01-13-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10367092)
You're not missing much. I watched it just to see what the hype was about. I'm sure it was groundbreakingly awesome back in 1940 or whatever, but yeah, not so much now.

You sound like my youngest son the other day when we watched Rocky.

My oldest son and I watched The Godfather a couple years ago when it was on AMC. I had never seen it before. I thought it was pretty good but haven't rushed out to see part 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10367103)
I've seen many movies, but NOT seen many that leave my friends horrified.

The Big Lebowski
Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Deer Hunter

I can't even explain why I have these gaps in my movie watching, but they're there. :shrug:

I've only seen Pulp Fiction off of that list, though I have The Big Lebowski is currently on my DVR thanks to IFC.

blaise 01-13-2014 03:21 PM

I've tried watching Big Lebowski a few times and I just end up turning it off.

MrGiggity 01-13-2014 03:51 PM

Backdoor Sluts Vol. 7: Here Cums the Mailman

Nzoner 01-13-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10367065)
I haven't seen Scarface.

Which one?

Nzoner 01-13-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10367095)
You really should see it. Unless you don't like well-acted, intelligent, action movies. :D

Even after 40+ years it's still my #1 and then in the 80's Copolla released a VHS set called The Godfather The Complete Epic which was parts 1 & 2 shown chronologically and edited footage added back in.The viewer even gets to see Hyman Roth as a young man when he was first introduced to Vito.

KC native 01-13-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10367375)
I've tried watching Big Lebowski a few times and I just end up turning it off.

you suck.

mr. tegu 01-13-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 10367464)
Which one?

I am going to go with I didn't know there was more than one.

Frosty 01-13-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10367593)
I am going to go with I didn't know there was more than one.

The original was actually on Turner Classic Movies recently.

I haven't seen either one, though.