ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   This years Darwin Awards (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156937)

Dave Lane 01-18-2007 04:48 PM

Hammer of Doom
2006 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin

(August 2006, Brazil) August brings us a winner from Brazil, who tried to disassemble a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) by driving back and forth over it with a car. This technique was ineffective, so he escalated to pounding the RPG with a sledgehammer. The second try worked--in a sense. The explosion proved fatal to one man, six cars, and the repair shop wherein the efforts took place.
14 more RPG grenades were found in a car parked nearby. Police believe the ammunition was being scavenged to sell as scrap metal. If it wasn't scrap then, it certainly is now!

5 Submissions

(2006, Vietnam) In a similar event, a Rolling Stone isn't all that gathers no moss. Three men scavenging for scrap metal found an unexploded 500-pound bomb perched on a hill, and decided to retrieve it with help from Sir Isaac Newton. As they rolled the bomb down the hillside according to the laws of gravity, the bomb detonated, leaving a four-meter crater and sending the three entrepreneurs to a face-to-face meeting with their Maker.

Halfcan 01-18-2007 06:41 PM

died by elephant shit-thats a new one

Halfcan 01-18-2007 06:41 PM

Halfcan 01-18-2007 06:42 PM

C-Mac 01-18-2007 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58
Yeah, I think these may have been recycled. I heard the Elephant one several years ago.

This is still one of my favorites...again, not eligible because he lived, but good for a laugh.....

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp

:)

CosmicPal 01-18-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

5. This one an annual qualifying event: Sylvester Briddell, Jr., 26, was killed in Selbyville, Del, as he won a bet with friends who said he would not put a revolver loaded with four bullets into his mouth and pull the trigger.

Uhhh, not asute on legalities or anything, but wouldn't his "friends" be accessories to murder? They after all encouraged their dumbazz friend to shoot himself? Betting should be construed as encouragement.

Halfcan 01-19-2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Mac
:)

I think there is a movie about this on Netflix-it might be some other dumbshit that did the same thing.

I am going to invent a new sport.

Balloon Diving. You use balloons to jet you to 10,000 feet then you cut the rope and freefall for 7000 feet, then pull the chute and glide to earth.

C-Mac 01-19-2007 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan

Rain Man 01-19-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Mac
(Lawn-chair pilot story)

That lawn-chair pilot story is truly one of history's greatest tales of American ingenuity, chutzpah, and stupidity. I remember getting great enjoyment out of it when it happened, and my joy hasn't faded over the years.

NewChief 01-19-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
That lawn-chair pilot story is truly one of history's greatest tales of American ingenuity, chutzpah, and stupidity. I remember getting great enjoyment out of it when it happened, and my joy hasn't faded over the years.

They made a movie about that guy, I think. Actually, after finding it on IMDB, it's just loosely based on the events.
Danny Deckchair

RJ 01-19-2007 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=BigRedChief]

2. RUNNER UP: TACOMA, WA. Kerry Bingham had been drinking with several friends when one of them said they knew a person who had bungee-jumped from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in the middle of traffic. The
conversation grew more heated and at least 10 men, apparently still drinking, trooped along the walkway of the bridge at 4:30 AM. Upon arrival at the midpoint of the bridge where Bingham had volunteered to jump, they discovered that no one had brought a bungee rope. Bingham pointed out a coil of lineman's cable that laid nearby. One end of the cable was secured around his leg and the other end was tied to the bridge. His fall lasted 40 feet before the cable tightened and tore his foot off at the ankle. He miraculously survived his fall into the icy salt water and was rescued by two nearby fishermen. "All I can say" said Bingham, is that God was watching out for me on that night, there's just no other explanation for it." Bingham's foot was not located.

/QUOTE]

His quote at the end is classic. I'll be laughing at that for a while.

crazycoffey 01-29-2007 11:17 AM

Heres a new candidate; catching a free ride to the award ceremony.

Stowaway's body found in 747 wheel well at LAX

POSTED: 8:27 a.m. EST, January 29, 2007 POSTED: 8:27 a.m. EST, January 29, 2007

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The body of a male stowaway was found Sunday in the wheel well of a British Airways jet at Los Angeles International Airport, officials said.
A pilot discovered the body of the young man in the front right wheel well of the 747-400 during a routine inspection shortly before it was to return to London, airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles said.
The FBI determined the stowaway likely died in the wheel well, Castles said. Autopsy results won't be available until later this week. Authorities had not identified the victim late Sunday.