ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV ESPN's 32% ratings crash - layoffs happening (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274455)

dallaschiefsfan 07-11-2013 12:26 PM

Hate their coverage. They live in an east coast bubble.

ThaVirus 07-11-2013 12:26 PM

****, I can't wait for football season. I miss those pre-game shows.

Bearcat 07-11-2013 12:28 PM

It's the TMZ of sports, and even when they have a chance at decent content (NFL countdown, college gameday) and not just the same old crap rehashed in different formats (PTI, Around the Horn, SportsCenter, etc) , they spread it out over 2 or 3 hours with 50% commercials.

I watch live sports, some football pregame if I pause it long enough to skip commercials, and should probably watch 30 for 30.

Frosty 07-11-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9805529)
NFL Primetime or whatever? I didn't have cable last season but a couple years ago I used to love the show with Berman, Ditka, Irvin and Tom Jackson. That was my favorite pre-game show.

I seem to be in the minority, but I actually like Chris Berman.

Yeah, that one - except that they have added Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson to the mix and dropped Irvin. It can get pretty intolerable. I mostly watch it for the news rather than the previews of the games.

ThaVirus 07-11-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 9805530)

Yeah, setting aside their obvious player and team biases, their video highlights leave a lot to be desired.

I mean, they have access to hundreds of hours of footage every week and I get the same ****ing 6 plays looped from each game? That's horseshit. They'd be doing themselves a big favor to expand their highlight coverage.

ToxSocks 07-11-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 9805530)

This

Rasputin 07-11-2013 12:30 PM

Hey Herm, um Ray Farmer wants to see you...

He says bring your play book.

ChiefsCountry 07-11-2013 12:32 PM

ESPN ratings are down and on August 16, Fox is rolling out a brand new sports network.

Frosty 07-11-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9805532)
****, I can't wait for football season. I miss those pre-game shows.

Confession time - CBS' pregame is my favorite, even with Sharpe on there. The mix of personalities is entertaining.

Can't stand the Fox pregame and won't watch it.

ThaVirus 07-11-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9805535)
Yeah, that one - except that they have added Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson to the mix and dropped Irvin. It can get pretty intolerable. I mostly watch it for the news rather than the previews of the games.

Ah, yeah yeah yeah. I've seen Key and Cris on there; Key and Irvin are like the same dude in my mind so I had forgotten about him.

I like that show. Definitely better than Shannon Sharpe, Bill Cowher and Michael Strahan, that's for sure. I do like James Brown, Boomer, Marino, and Bradshaw though so I'll tune into CBS and FOX from time to time.

ThaVirus 07-11-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9805548)
Confession time - CBS' pregame is my favorite, even with Sharpe on there. The mix of personalities is entertaining.

Can't stand the Fox pregame and won't watch it.

That one isn't bad. That's with the black dude, Sharpe, Marino, Cowher, and Boomer, right?

And the other one is James Brown, Bradshaw, Strahan, Howie and some other dude I'm forgetting?

I always get them mixed up.

MIAdragon 07-11-2013 12:38 PM

I also love the fact that they are the most expensive cable channel by far.

ThaVirus 07-11-2013 12:38 PM

I prefer the ESPN pre-game the most but on commercials or during bullshit ass segments I don't want to watch I'll often flip between the other two.

Truthfully, I enjoy them all. I just use them to pass the time until the football starts anyway so I just need something that isn't completely annoying.

ChiefsCountry 07-11-2013 12:40 PM

FOX's new sports network is going to compete with ESPN big time. They have the content and the their SportsCenter type show will challenge them.

scho63 07-11-2013 12:41 PM

I have a hard time watching a female lead speaking with a female field reporter and trying to take the conversation very seriously.

30 for 30 is a fantastic series, one of the best.

I think there are several factors hurting viewership;
  • So many people use their phones and iPads for sport updates
  • They have too many channels and have saturated all the sports
  • Most of their broadcasters suck

I like Kornheiser and Wilbon but not much more. Some of their MLB coverage is decent but no Tony Kubek, Joe Garagiola, or Curt Gowdy types

I think their NFL coverage has gotten worse the last 10 years or so.

I watch it much less than I did