ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Question about Military Tours and Domestic Deaths (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242490)

Jenson71 03-09-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCTrojan (Post 7476343)
He wanted to go and asked. But there wasn't a question in my mind that he should go back home, and there really wasn't much of a discussion as to whether we would let him. It was more a matter of getting it right administratively with the personnel folks.

How long into the tour was this, if you remember?

SCTrojan 03-09-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 7476346)
How long into the tour was this, if you remember?

More than half - he had already taken his mid-tour leave. That was part of the administrative issue.

RNR 03-09-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCTrojan (Post 7476316)
This pretty much summarizes it for deployments. If it's a close relative - parent (even in-laws), spouse or children - there's not a question that the troop will get sent home. They normally get priority at the transportation terminals as well. Although it's still a matter of lift availability.

I sent one of my guys back home from Iraq after his grandmother died. You don't want that weighing on someone under that sort of pressure.

My father-in-law died while I was stationed in Germany, and I got sent back no charge.

My son was not allowed to return from his tour to attend his grandmothers funeral~

SCTrojan 03-09-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 7476494)
My son was not allowed to return from his tour to attend his grandmothers funeral~

Ultimately, it does come down to a decision by the leadership. Some don't see it the way we did.

Phobia 03-09-2011 10:07 AM

Essential personnel makes a difference as well. If you're the only guy who can do your job in theater, it had better be immediate family. If you're a low-ranking non-essential then you'll almost always get your leave approved. Mission comes first and everything else second.

JohninGpt 03-09-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 7476494)

They call it Local Parentus. If a member of your immediate family dies you are allowed emergency leave. Immediate family includes mother, father, brother, sister, spouse, and children. If a grandparent, aunt, or uncle dies it is only considered local parentus if you were raised by, or lived with that person for a specified length of time during childhood.

And if I weren't so damn lazy I would have read trndobrd's post saying pretty much the same damn thing before I typed this.

SCTrojan 03-09-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninGpt (Post 7476538)
They call it Local Parentus. If a member of your immediate family dies you are allowed emergency leave. Immediate family includes mother, father, brother, sister, spouse, and children. If a grandparent, aunt, or uncle dies it is only considered local parentus if you were raised by, or lived with that person for a specified length of time during childhood.

And if I weren't so damn lazy I would have read trndobrd's post saying pretty much the same damn thing before I typed this.

Our guy's grandmother didn't fall into that category, but we were able to get him out anyway. As Phobia pointed out, sometimes the situation doesn't allow commands to be that flexible.

RNR 03-09-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninGpt (Post 7476538)

They were very close and he was pretty broke about it. When he was a child we lived at my parents house for awhile. He was less than half way through a 15 month stint on his first tour. I know nothing of the details other than his disappointment of not being able to attend~

Iowanian 03-09-2011 01:14 PM

It depends the relationship and circumstances I think.

My brother got 3-4 days leave from his first tour in Iraq when our aunt died.
He came back the 2nd tour when our grandpa died, but got a few more days...like 5-6 I think.

Where there is a will, there is often a way. I'm thinking we made our notification through Red Cross.