ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Nirvana Live at Reading... NEVER FORGET GREATNESS (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282450)

Rausch 03-21-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10506033)
There are many great new bands making incredible music.

Not really...

Omaha 03-21-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10506195)
Not really...

You are so wrong.

Rausch 03-21-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10506198)
You are so wrong.

I can't think of 1 band in the last 10 years I'd put on par with Nirvana or PJ...

Omaha 03-21-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10506225)
I can't think of 1 band in the last 10 years I'd put on par with Nirvana or PJ...

That's a pretty tall order if they are your favorites, but I think bands like Arctic Monkeys, Gaslight Anthem, Kings of Leon, The Kooks, Raconteurs, Portugal the Man, Mona, Foals, Grouplove, and several others have a pretty good start at it.

jspchief 03-21-2014 11:51 AM

Always felt Nirvana was overrated due to Cobain's early demise. Great band, just not the icon that people want to make them out to be.

kcxiv 03-21-2014 12:00 PM

People keep saying there is great music out there and post links to their songs and I'm sitting there shaking my head like nope this sure isn't it lol. There may be a song here and there that I lime but that's about it.

NewChief 03-21-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10506275)
That's a pretty tall order if they are your favorites, but I think bands like Arctic Monkeys, Gaslight Anthem, Kings of Leon, The Kooks, Raconteurs, Portugal the Man, Mona, Foals, Grouplove, and several others have a pretty good start at it.

I seriously think a lot of people's musical preference is nostalgia and context. At a certain point, their artistic aesthetic becomes sealed, and they're no longer really open to different flavors of their particular preference. That being said, they might completely discover a different type of music (such as classical) and go about establishing new context.

alpha_omega 03-21-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10506044)

No rock music as some kind of shared cultural phenomenon where everyone was cranking up "Slowride" on their jambox while climbing to the top of the water tower to smoke a doob? ...

It'd be a lot cooler if it was!

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10506225)

At all, or purely RnR?

Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, White Stripes, and Alabama Shakes are all very different, but I'd put their quality on par.

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10506355)
I seriously think a lot of people's musical preference is nostalgia and context. At a certain point, their artistic aesthetic becomes sealed, and they're no longer really open to different flavors of their particular preference. That being said, they might completely discover a different type of music (such as classical) and go about establishing new context.

I was born in '71, and didn't really get into popular music until college [all I had was a clock radio until my senior year of HS], and I agree with the old fogeys' opinion that '67-'79 is the unequivocal apex of American RnR.

The year the GnR, Nirvana and PJ were all on the charts, '91 or '92, might beat a single year in that era, but that's it.

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 10506356)
It'd be a lot cooler if it was!

All right, all right, all right.

patteeu 03-21-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10506333)
Always felt Nirvana was overrated due to Cobain's early demise. Great band, just not the icon that people want to make them out to be.

Tragic death at a young age never hurts, but they were already pretty iconic before he died.

patteeu 03-21-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

I think there's a lot of truth to that, but I think it's only half of the story. I think a lot of people just don't know how to find good new music these days or they're too busy to put any effort into it.

bowener 03-21-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10505329)
These guys, what can I say, they were just one step ahead of the curve... **** musicianship gripes and bullshit about "oh he was no Satriani", give me great SONGS, and these guys sure as hell did.

If you have an hour or two, just watch away and take a time machine trip back to when ROCK ruled and wasn't some afterthought... grimey, melodic, subversive, pick a cool word.

Been blasting this for a while now tonight and just HAD to share...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aJGl0FQK9Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This plus chromecast is my next 97 minutes. Thanks!

PunkinDrublic 03-21-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

There's a lot of truth to that. When you're growing up and you kind of figure out the type of music speaks to you the most, there's always people in the older generation that shit on the bands you love. There's a lot of new music kids are into these days that I can't for the life of me get into but I try not to judge peoples tastes.

The only thing that's aggrevating too me is that way too many artists are described as musical geniuses. So many of these white liberal music critics are afraid of being called racist, so they'll gush over Kanye Wests albums and call him a genius.