ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Looking ahead ['cause looking back hurts too much] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=14360)

kcred 12-04-2000 03:22 PM

Cormac, the way Teischer said it, it will take 7 mil for Glock AND 4.2 for Williams. And I hate to rain on the parade of whoever said he didn't care about the cap, but the NFL is really going to come down hard on the next violator. Policy and the 49ers got off lucky, they have already said, the next time at least two #1s are going to be taken, so this is going to be harder and harder.

Bob Dole 12-04-2000 03:26 PM

The concept of "sunk costs" comes immediately to mind.

Brock 12-04-2000 03:30 PM

Everybody is violating the cap, with the exception of Cincinnati.

Mi_chief_fan 12-04-2000 03:32 PM

Gaz,
in reply to #6, what do we do for a #2 QB?

And don't even say Collins, or i'll never reply to another of your posts again. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Cormac 12-04-2000 03:33 PM

kcred,

Thanks for the clarification :(. Even worse than I had thought......... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Gaz 12-05-2000 08:37 AM

Mi_Chief_fan-

The #2 QB is a veteran. Someone who has been there, done that. There will be some journeyman FA QBs who are not good enough to be starters, but would be fine backups [I can hear the folks howling that we already have that in Grbac].

I would bring in FA QBs [maybe the Billy Joe twins are available?] to fight it out with Collins and let the best man win. Then go draft for a "diamond in the rough" QB to ruin develop.

xoxo~
gaz
realizes he might end up with Collins again.<BR>

Gaz 12-05-2000 08:38 AM

Mi_Chief_fan-

The #2 QB is a veteran. Someone who has been there, done that. There will be some journeyman FA QBs who are not good enough to be starters, but would be fine backups [I can hear the folks howling that we already have that in Grbac].

I would bring in FA QBs [maybe the Billy Joe twins are available?] to fight it out with Collins and let the best man win. Then go draft for a "diamond in the rough" QB to ruin develop.

xoxo~
gaz
realizes he might end up with Collins again.<BR>

Mi_chief_fan 12-05-2000 08:53 AM

Gaz,
I don't think it's coincidence both of the Billy Joe's initials are BJ. :)

There's got to be better backups out there.

How about that Frerotte guy? He's done a decent job?

Gaz 12-05-2000 09:31 AM

Mi_chief_fan-

The Billy Joe Twins bit was a joke [in more ways than one]. Actually, I would not be surprised to see the Chiefs stand pat with Collins. Disappointed, but not surprised.

xoxo~
gaz
has learned to fear his team's managers.<BR>

cdcox 12-05-2000 09:57 AM

The DL is the strongest unit of the D, so I don't think you should mess with it by dumping the ambulance twins. Yeah the DL costs too much, but it is functional and we have more pressing needs at LB and DB and at RB and OL. Dumping them just makes the cap situation worse, plus we need to find two new bodies to plug in the holes.

Hasty has talked about retirement the last two seasons. With the down turn of the Chiefs, you gotta wonder if he will come back. If he retires the young corners will have to improve greatly or we are gonna stink real bad next year regardless of any changes we make in coaches or players. I think a shut-down man-to-man corner has to enter the list of must-haves for the re-tooling of the D.

Entering the season I thought we were a stud RB away from being a very strong contender. Now you can add 2 OL, 1 LB, and at least 1 CB to that list. All of the sudden, there are a bunch of holes to fill on this team.

MrBlond 12-05-2000 10:01 AM

Gaz,
Do you support retaining Peterson? I know you have asked before for a "viable" replacement, but do you have faith that Carl is the man to rebuild this team? The weaknesses you list have not been addressed to this point. What evidence has Carl given that he will do anything but bandage(and I mean one of those little circle bandages) the current problems? Bandages like Rison, when you can't draft a WR. Or Bam Morris when you can't draft a RB. As for a "viable" replacement, Kevin Harlan was on the radio with several names of respected men throughout the league who may be ready to become GMs. Butler from Buffalo, Hatley from Chicago. Diamond has been discussed. Donahue, Beatherd. Your "to do" list looks like a complete overhaul. Do you stick with the original designer?

TEX 12-05-2000 10:12 AM

Gaz,
I agree with your post except when it comes to Carl Peterson. If you would jus replace his name with JEFF DIAMOND I'd agree 100% with your well thought take on the state of affairs at One Arrowhead Drive. I know that Lamar would never get rid of Carl but Carl is not beyond moving on himself. Bt then it might be worse because Lamar would probaly appoint Denny Thumb or someone else from within. All I want for X-mas is for Lamar to Hire JEFF DIAMOND as G.M.!<BR>