ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Panhandlers at McDonalds (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276656)

Thig Lyfe 09-25-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 10018802)
Probably bought a Redskins ball cap.

Maybe, but there's not a Lidz in my neighborhood.

ptlyon 09-25-2013 02:06 PM

The panhandlers at McDonalds are bad, but the panhandlers at Wendys are atrocious!

The Franchise 09-25-2013 02:10 PM

About a year ago, the wife and I went out to dinner and we had some food leftover....so we got a to-go container and left. As we were walking to our car....a guy asked if we could spare some change. I handed him the to-go container....and the guy literally broke down crying and thanked us repeatedly.

KCUnited 09-25-2013 02:11 PM

I don't like giving them cash for booze, but I have no problem poisoning them with McD's.

ptlyon 09-25-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10018821)
About a year ago, the wife and I went out to dinner and we had some food leftover....so we got a to-go container and left. As we were walking to our car....a guy asked if we could spare some change. I handed him the to-go container....and the guy literally broke down crying and thanked us repeatedly.

Boy was he surprised when he went around the corner and opened it and it only had food in it

Consistent1 09-25-2013 02:16 PM

It's not bad here, but anyplace much bigger and it gets out of hand. I saw it all the time in Naperville, IL of all places when I lived there. That is a pretty well off place overall, but i think a lot of it was people coming in from other places to try to take advantage of that. It happens in almost every decent sized city I have lived in, and I always just blow them off.

BullJunkandIron 09-25-2013 03:00 PM

I hate it when they try and panhandle off you and your high on mushrooms and can't quit laughing.

CrazyPhuD 09-25-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10018736)
When I got my receipt at the top it said "MANAGEMENT POSITIONS AVAILABLE." Hey, McD's, why not give this beggar on your drive thru line a management position? Win-Win, problem solved!

:Poke:....did you not see his nametag???? That WAS the manager, afterall why would anyone who works there want to eat there? They know what's in the food!:eek:

BlackHelicopters 09-25-2013 03:12 PM

Give a five dollar McDonalds gift card. Hungry, he can eat. Maybe trade for booze or crack, but you did your best.

Great Expectations 09-25-2013 03:14 PM

A lot of times there is a mental illness and dependency issues. They need booze or counseling, but to go without either would be horrible for most of them.

gblowfish 09-25-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10018824)
I don't like giving them cash for booze, but I have no problem poisoning them with McD's.

That's a good point....

CrazyPhuD 09-25-2013 03:16 PM

But seriously I have a hardcore anti-solication rule. I don't care who you are, you can be the poorest kid on the block or the hottest prostitute in town, if you ask for money the answer is no. If you want educate me on something and let me decide if I feel like offering money where it's appropriate. But never ask me for it, if you do the answer is no regardless of the circumstances.

But really if you want to make a difference for the homeless/poor/etc take all the money you would have given to individuals and give it to an outreach organization or a food bank. If you want to feel good donate your time to the same groups and you'll see and help many more people who are legitimately struggling but not putting the dollars you give them into a bottle or their vein.

Iowanian 09-25-2013 03:19 PM

If I'm going to give them a treat, I need to at least see them perform a trick.

Try this "you want a dollar? I'll give you $5 if you try a back flip"

ThaVirus 09-25-2013 03:27 PM

Some old guy came into my job the other day asking for money. He was VERY old, probably 70-something, with liver spots and weird bruise-ish cut thingies on his skin (think Al Davis pre-death). He was also wearing a nice dress shirt, tucked, and slacks.

So he started going on about how he locked his keys in his car, only had $80 on him but the locksmith was charging $92 + tax and wouldn't follow him home, blah blah blah. He seemed pretty embarrassed, which could easily have been an act, so I just gave him $18. He asked for my card and I told him don't worry about it. He said thanks and once again looked rather embarrassed as he said "I tell you, if you ever told me I'd be begging for money on the streets of Orlando........" as he walked out.

He left the building and I watched him walk across the parking lot toward some other businesses. I ended up having to do some actual work so I couldn't see where he went... But I do wonder what the actual story behind that was..

tomahawk kid 09-25-2013 03:29 PM

My wife and I were pulling out of Target last weekend with our two small children.

There was a man panhandling on the corner - held a sign that read "Please help - no money for food or rent". Sitting at the stop sign on the corner were (what I assume to be) his wife and HIS two small children. The wife was waiving to the cars passing by - and his kids were coloring - happily unaware of what their parents were doing.

It ripped my heart out and made me enraged all at the same time. Those kids don't have a chance - and how low do you have to be to bring your family begging with you - rather than working however many jobs necessary to provide for them.