ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Butch Davis out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105407)

DaKCMan AP 11-30-2004 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainCase
Has Florida named a replacement yet? I'd look for Davis to return to the Sunshine state if he decides he wants to chew off a bit more.

not yet. They said they'll hire a new coach in December.

jAZ 11-30-2004 10:47 AM

Say hello to the next Florida Gators head coach.

Amnorix 11-30-2004 10:53 AM

What's absolutely amazing to me is that he was able to consolidate power last offseason after a 5-11 record. WTF? :spock:

RNR 11-30-2004 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
Say hello to the next Florida Gators head coach.

Makes sense

Kraut 11-30-2004 12:00 PM

this was coming, but I thought that they would wait to the end of the year. The team got blown out this past week but they never gave up. That tells me they knew his job was on the line and they were playing for him to at least stay until the end of the year.

KCWolfman 11-30-2004 12:08 PM

The man still has 4 years on his contract? That is insane in a pay by performance field for coaches.

Is this a reaction to the beating taken from Cincinnati?

Kraut 11-30-2004 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman
The man still has 4 years on his contract? That is insane in a pay by performance field for coaches.

Is this a reaction to the beating taken from Cincinnati?

Naa, this was talked about for a few weeks now. But I thought it would wait to at least the end of the year, or at least give him one more year.

KCWolfman 11-30-2004 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach
Yeah, I know where you're coming from, but there are some coaches in the NFL that came from the college level and still managed to be successful (I.E. Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh, etc)

However, that is to me, old school stuff. It seems to me that not many college football coaches are willing to take a job as a Special Teams, Offensive, or Defensive coordinator before becoming an head coach in today's time. In the past, you'd see plenty of that (Walsh, Vermeil, etc)

I think the only coach right off my head that has not been any kind of a head coaching job in the college level is Jon Gruden. He did coach at the college level, but as far as I'm concerned, it didn't say that he had a head coaching job in the college ranks.

Walsh was an assistant to Paul Brown with the Bengals and Tommy Protho with the Chargers.

You are right about Johnson, but one in a million is the reason they call it one in a million.

Coach 11-30-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman
Walsh was an assistant to Paul Brown with the Bengals and Tommy Protho with the Chargers.

You are right about Johnson, but one in a million is the reason they call it one in a million.

Sure helped Johnson knowing that Jerry Jones was the owner, or the early version of Daniel Synder.