ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Illinois thrashing Wake Forest (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105541)

kcfanintitanhell 12-01-2004 10:14 PM

I was watching the game at a restaurant, from a distance, so I wasn't sure, but was the venue almost empty?

Swanman 12-02-2004 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Illinois is going to be a force, I love Williams and Brown, maybe the best 1-2 guard combo in the nation. They could ride those two guys all the way to a title....

I graduated from Illinois in '98 and was a 4-year season ticket holder while there and last night was by far the best game I've seen them play. They didn't let up until the last 5 minutes when Illinois's scrubs were playing against mostly Wake starters. Williams and Brown are the best guard tandem in the country (regardless of what the ACCSPN fugtards say) but the guy playing the best right now is Luther Head. He's always been a great athlete that can jump out of the gym but this year he's developed a very reliable jumpshot and his ballhandling is a lot better. Also, Roger Powell was unstoppable last night. He's an undersized power forward but his arms are about 8 feet long and he's got a great touch all the way out to three-point land.

Now that they're running Bruce Weber's motion offense almost perfectly, they can get good shots against almost any defense. Wake changed defenses about every five minutes and ran three different zones but the Illini beat every one. When Self was the coach and they ran the high post offense, they would go into huge droughts when teams would change defenses because that offense is difficult to adapt to changing zone defenses.

Infidel Goat 12-02-2004 08:17 AM

Congrats to the Illini.

I always expected to lose this game . . . along with a handful of road games in the ACC this season. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if we lost at Temple, Cincy, or New Mexico this season.

IMO, there aren't any teams in the country that are dominant enough to go on the road and routinely beat top 20 teams in a hostile environment.

Wake will regroup--and Justin Gray likely won't ever shoot that poorly again. I'll see them beat Richmond this weekend and likely Texas later this month.

I still like our chances this year as much as anyone else. Meet me in St. Louis?

--Infidel Goat

Swanman 12-02-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat
Congrats to the Illini.

I always expected to lose this game . . . along with a handful of road games in the ACC this season. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if we lost at Temple, Cincy, or New Mexico this season.

IMO, there aren't any teams in the country that are dominant enough to go on the road and routinely beat top 20 teams in a hostile environment.

Wake will regroup--and Justin Gray likely won't ever shoot that poorly again. I'll see them beat Richmond this weekend and likely Texas later this month.

I still like our chances this year as much as anyone else. Meet me in St. Louis?

--Infidel Goat

Even though the Illini dominated, I could still tell that Wake has a very good team. I was really impressed with Williams in the post and you can tell the guards are really good, they just shot badly (the Illini guards are known for great defense, esp. Deron Williams). I'll be rooting for Wake in the ACC this year because Wake is a much more likeable team than Duke or UNC.

A meeting in St. Louis wouldn't surprise me. If the Illini can get the #1 seed in the Midwest, assuming they go to the Final Four their games will be in Indianapolis, Chicago, and St. Louis. That means they'd never be more than 3 hours from campus during the entire tourney, not too bad.

Brando 12-02-2004 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman
Even though the Illini dominated, I could still tell that Wake has a very good team. I was really impressed with Williams in the post and you can tell the guards are really good, they just shot badly (the Illini guards are known for great defense, esp. Deron Williams). I'll be rooting for Wake in the ACC this year because Wake is a much more likeable team than Duke or UNC.

A meeting in St. Louis wouldn't surprise me. If the Illini can get the #1 seed in the Midwest, assuming they go to the Final Four their games will be in Indianapolis, Chicago, and St. Louis. That means they'd never be more than 3 hours from campus during the entire tourney, not too bad.

Let me tell you something about being close to campus in the tourney. It helped my boys alot! Congrats on your win.