ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tech sector geeks: is the proposed Nextel/Sprint merger a good thing? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=106106)

beavis 12-10-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
That was the main thing that I hated, you couldn't believe anything you heard from above. There were emails coming out all the time about how they weren't planning widespead outsourcing, or how they were going to reorganize but didn't anticipate any cuts, or something like that, but deep down you knew they would fire you 5 minutes ago if they thought it would save them a nickel.

This was my favorite. The CIO once tried to tell us that they had only laid off 6 people. If that was the case, then I knew all of them.

Eleazar 12-10-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium
You obviously have never driven rural Missouri then. If I get off of a major thouroughfare I'm going to be either roaming or without a signal. Analog roam = instant battery death.

No, I don't go into really rural areas too much. Most of my time is in the KC area, but I have been to northwestern and northeastern missouri a few times without trouble that I can recall. :shrug:

beavis 12-10-2004 10:21 AM

Quote:

You obviously have never driven rural Missouri then. If I get off of a major thouroughfare I'm going to be either roaming or without a signal. Analog roam = instant battery death.

Yes, most of Sprint's coverage is along major interstates and metropolitan areas, but they should have told you that when you signed up.

Analog roam is expensive as hell too.

JimNasium 12-10-2004 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
Yes, most of Sprint's coverage is along major interstates and metropolitan areas, but they should have told you that when you signed up.

Analog roam is expensive as hell too.

I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere. It's usually not an issue unless we have an issue in the sticks or when I'm driving between Springfield and Jeff City. There are numerous deadzones on that trip.

|Zach| 12-10-2004 10:25 AM

I have used Sprint for a long time. Most of my troubles come from problems with the physical phones. I am going to try and get a new one for X-mas so we will see how that goes.

Their coverage has been pretty good IMO...no problems in Springfield, KC, or east of KC. When I am driving from Springtown to KC there are some area where I lose it for a while but its not to big of deal to me.

|Zach| 12-10-2004 10:28 AM

Quote:

I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere. It's usually not an issue unless we have an issue in the sticks or when I'm driving between Springfield and Jeff City. There are numerous deadzones on that trip.

Jim, if you let me sew this to your head you won't have anymore deadzone problems.

http://www.dynaflex.net/applicationnotes/grafico12.jpg

BigRedChief 12-10-2004 10:37 AM

you guys are all talking aboiut phone issues.

What about the new arena? What happens to it?

What about if Sprint leaves? Who buys the season tickets? What happens to the KC economy? Can we support the Chiefs if Sprint leaves?

jAZ 12-10-2004 10:42 AM

T-Mobile.

beavis 12-10-2004 11:16 AM

Quote:

They should have given you a map showing you where they had coverage.

beavis 12-10-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachKC
I have used Sprint for a long time. Most of my troubles come from problems with the physical phones. I am going to try and get a new one for X-mas so we will see how that goes.

Their coverage has been pretty good IMO...no problems in Springfield, KC, or east of KC. When I am driving from Springtown to KC there are some area where I lose it for a while but its not to big of deal to me.

I'm not realy fond of their phones either. They seem to wear out quickly. Of course I do use the hell out of mine. I got a new one less than six months ago, and already some of the buttons don't work. That's more of a knock on Samsung than Sprint though.

beavis 12-10-2004 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
you guys are all talking aboiut phone issues.

What about the new arena? What happens to it?

What about if Sprint leaves? Who buys the season tickets? What happens to the KC economy? Can we support the Chiefs if Sprint leaves?

I'm not sure about the the arena, that's a good question. I don't Sprint will be "leaving" though. I would think that the hq of the new company would still be in OP.

I doubt the percentage of season ticket holders that work for Sprint is high enough to have that big of an impact. Even if they all did get laid off.

BigRedChief 12-10-2004 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
I'm not sure about the the arena, that's a good question. I don't Sprint will be "leaving" though. I would think that the hq of the new company would still be in OP.

I doubt the percentage of season ticket holders that work for Sprint is high enough to have that big of an impact. Even if they all did get laid off.

Sprint is the engine that powers the KC economy. We are not just talking about 35k losing their jobs we are talking about the other jobs being lost where those 35 k spend their sprint money. All the local companies that supply sprint with the supplies it needs. Sprint leaving would devestate the KC economy.

HC_Chief 12-10-2004 11:48 AM

Another company/companies would fill the void.

Short term, it would have a negative impact. Long term, nah.

morphius 12-10-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
Another company/companies would fill the void.

Short term, it would have a negative impact. Long term, nah.

Yeah, just like when small towns lost their manufacturing plants and turned into ghost towns. If you hadn't been paying attention, KC keeps dropping lower and lower in everything the way I see it.

HC_Chief 12-10-2004 12:03 PM

Yeah, Sprint leaving KC would also lead to Block, HNTB, Bibb & Associates, and a host of other headquartered Fortune 500/1000 companies leaving. :rolleyes:

Or did I just forget to put on my 'drama queen' undies today?