ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Technical assistance, please (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107312)

el borracho 12-28-2004 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret
You may have to go to another video input on your tv set. Normally the RCA jacks are Video 1 input or something like that. The Coax is setup to be the primary connection. See if you have a menu button and can change inputs.

OK, I have "menu-ed" my way into the TV recognizing the DVD input directly from the DVD player (via RCA cable). One moment while I check for the original problem.

P.S. If the original problem is gone, what does that tell me? The VCR is defective?

Mr. Kotter 12-28-2004 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho
OK, I have "menu-ed" my way into the TV recognizing the DVD input directly from the DVD player (via RCA cable). One moment while I check for the original problem.

P.S. If the original problem is gone, what does that tell me? The VCR is defective?

Nah, electronics are fickle sometimes; try routing the VCR thru the DVD player now...it might be just fine... :hmmm:

el borracho 12-28-2004 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Bummer. I'd head down to best buy and apply for a card. ;)

Great idea if I had not gone to REI earlier this evening. I would probably save money if I just bought myself franchise rights to a store.

el borracho 12-28-2004 01:04 AM

Hmm. Good news: The original problem seems to be gone. Bad news: After re-connecting the co-ax cables (from VCR to TV) the TV no longer seems to recognize the VCR input (via coax cable).

Mr. Kotter 12-28-2004 01:07 AM

Quote:

Hmm. Good news: The original problem seems to be gone. Bad news: After re-connecting the co-ax cables (from VCR to TV) the TV no longer seems to recognize the VCR input (via coax cable).

You might need to connect the VCR or DVD as a "aux" component....?

Unless there are clearly identified specific ports for EACH.... :hmmm:

Phobia 12-28-2004 01:14 AM

Turn your TV to channel 3. Or verify you haven't bent over the copper core in the coax. I did that a couple weeks ago on some coax.

Mr. Kotter 12-28-2004 01:15 AM

Quote:

Turn your TV to channel 3. Or verify you haven't bent over the copper core in the coax. I did that a couple weeks ago on some coax.

Yeah, I've done that too.... :banghead:

el borracho 12-28-2004 01:26 AM

Quote:

TV is on 3; co-ax cable is fine. It now seems to be an either or problem with the tv. I can have either the VCR via the co-ax or I can have the DVD via the RCA but not both. I don't know... maybe the TV is junk?

Phobia 12-28-2004 01:30 AM

Quote:

TV is on 3; co-ax cable is fine. It now seems to be an either or problem with the tv. I can have either the VCR via the co-ax or I can have the DVD via the RCA but not both. I don't know... maybe the TV is junk?

That's crap. You don't have a TV/Video button on your TV remote?

Mr. Kotter 12-28-2004 01:31 AM

Quote:

... maybe the TV is junk?

How old? $400-700 will replace it with a pretty good model. :hmmm:

el borracho 12-28-2004 01:38 AM

The TV is not that old, about 5 years. The remote is gone but I'm not sure that is the problem. I can now get decent quality with either the VCR or the DVD player but the quality degrades if both are plugged in (even when the DVD player is routed through the VCR). I don't know. I'm off to sleep. Thanks for the help so far, I'll check this thread again tomorrow to see if there is something I have missed.
Goodnight, all.

jspchief 12-28-2004 02:08 AM

I have the same problem with a dvd player connected to my TV/VCR combo in my bedroom. The TV doesn't have RCA jacks, so I'm using a converter so that I can connect through coax. I always just assumed that it was the converter.

mnchiefsguy 12-28-2004 02:41 AM

The reason for the change in picture quality is the macrovision copy protection on the dvd. Your vcr picks up this signal and reduces the quality of its output to prevent you from making vhs tapes of your DVD's. You should connect your dvd player directly to your TV. There are "black boxes" available that you can your signal through to get rid of the macrovision, but those are 40-50 bucks.

Dartgod 12-28-2004 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
I have the same problem with a dvd player connected to my TV/VCR combo in my bedroom. The TV doesn't have RCA jacks, so I'm using a converter so that I can connect through coax. I always just assumed that it was the converter.

You've nailed it here. You cannot connect a DVD player through the VCR. The video problems he is describing are exactly the same problem I had when I first hooked up my DVD. I have an older TV with only a coax input. I had to go to Radio Shack and get an RF modulator. It converts the digital signal from the DVD to analog for the TV (or something like that).

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2540

Fire Me Boy! 12-28-2004 10:34 AM

It'll do the same thing to TV/VCR combos. If you want VHS and DVD at the same time and are limited by the number of video ins you have on your TV, you'll have to buy a DVD/VHS combo. You can get them at Wally World (Wal-Mart) for $100 or so. Otherwise, get a switcher if you don't want to get a new TV.