ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   IF we sign Hartwell, do we go 3-4 or 'Falcon'? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111862)

mcan 03-09-2005 12:00 AM

I'll tell you this RIGHT NOW...

If the Chiefs go to a 4-3, you will see some Major juggling...

LE: Hicks
T: Siavii
RE: Sims

LOLB: Fujita
LILB: Hartwell
RILB: Bell
ROLB: Allen

milkman 03-09-2005 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano
That isn't going to happen. Carl already said the front office is moving on in his press conference regarding the Bell signing.

I don't believe a word that comes from Carl's mouth, ever.

Stinger 03-09-2005 12:02 AM

We don't have the size upfront to go 3-4 do we?

Chan93lx50 03-09-2005 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder

You have a very good point!

Logical 03-09-2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
You really think so? I have a buddy who is a Steeler's die-hard....his take on Bell? That, when healthy....he is a stud. (Duh!)

What was interesting is, he said that actually he is pretty decent in coverage--pickin' up the flats, the "seam" routes, and helpin' on the TE. He actually showed me a couple of game films from 2002 where Bell did look good in that role..... :hmmm:

I'm really just thinkin' out loud, here.

Even if true that only gives us one good coverage linebacker, that was the problem with not getting Hartwell also (though I admit I can't see both of them under the cap and us still getting Surtain/Law)

mcan 03-09-2005 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chan93lx50
You have a very good point!

Only if we move Allen to OLB and Sims to end... See below...

Hammock Parties 03-09-2005 12:04 AM

There's no way the Chiefs go to 3-4. Just forget it right now. Jared Allen doesn't have the size to play end in a 3-4, and Hicks would get killed.

Our D lines up perfectly in a 4-3 if we sign Hartwell.

OLB: Bell
MLB: Hartwell
OLB: Fujita
DE: Allen
DT: Dalton
DT: Siavii/Sims (rooting for Junior to take over)
DE: Hicks

We get a new corner and a new safety in here with that front seven and we're looking at a good defense.

keg in kc 03-09-2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
Even if true that only gives us one good coverage linebacker, that was the problem with not getting Hartwell also (though I admit I can't see both of them under the cap and us still getting Surtain/Law)

Hartwell's a run stuffer, not a coverage backer.

And if people keep predicting the 3-4 every offseason, eventually they'll guess right. Maybe. Or should I say maby.

Mr. Kotter 03-09-2005 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
....(though I admit I can't see both of them under the cap and us still getting Surtain/Law)

THAT, bud, is PRECISELY scenario I'm envisioning: Hartwell being the other "big name" pickup. Then Law or Surtain becoming available because Law may be willing to come cheaper than expected or Miami will want SOMETHING for Surtain.

:thumb:

At that point, adding a safety in the second round would probably shore up that position---this year's group seems 'deep.' :hmmm:

Delano 03-09-2005 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder

It wouldn't make sense to lie about moving on when Hartwell is on the verge of signing elsewhere.

I know Carl likes to negotiate, but he's not that stupid.

Archie Bunker 03-09-2005 12:11 AM

Quote:

THAT, bud, is PRECISELY scenario I'm envisioning: Hartwell being the other "big name" pickup. Then Law or Surtain becoming available because Law may be willing to come cheaper than expected or Miami will want SOMETHING for Surtain.

:thumb:

At that point, adding a safety in the second round would probably shore up that position---this year's group seems 'deep.' :hmmm:

It could happen if Law gets desperate but with the Postons as his agent I dont think he will.

Surtain might be doable because he wants out and might backload it.

I have to think the Chiefs know they have to get one or the other.

Mr. Kotter 03-09-2005 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger
We don't have the size upfront to go 3-4 do we?

Actually, with a front of Browning/Saviai/Allen....and Bell as the "up"backer, I think we'd be okay. Allen does need to bulk up, but I read somewhere that he was already up to 280. I don't think it would be our "normal" defense...but I think it would be interesting.

Certainly, though...that is a very good point. :hmmm:

mcan 03-09-2005 12:21 AM

Quote:

...I read somewhere that he was already up to 280.

are you serious? Jeez, I hope hes not getting slower... That like 20 lbs in just a few months. :shake:

Mr. Kotter 03-09-2005 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan
are you serious? Jeez, I hope hes not getting slower... That like 20 lbs in just a few months. :shake:

Maybe it was his "goal;" but the piece I read said maintaining his speed was his major priority. Something about legs and gluts, which should NOT slow him down much.

Mr. Kotter 03-09-2005 10:24 PM

It's STILL a possibiltity.

Heh. Even Phobia agrees--gotta be somethin' to it. :thumb: