ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Per CBS Sportsline: (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111913)

philfree 03-09-2005 05:55 PM

A 2nd round pick for a pro bowl CB seems like a no brainer to me for any team. To me trading a pick for a player is the same as drafting a player with that pick. The pick is worth 1 player and you get one player either way. The financial cost may be different but to me that's the only difference.

PhilFree :arrow:

beer bacon 03-09-2005 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree
A 2nd round pick for a pro bowl CB seems like a no brainer to me for any team. To me trading a pick for a player is the same as drafting a player with that pick. The pick is worth 1 player and you get one player either way. The financial cost may be different but to me that's the only difference.

I think a lot of the explanations our FO is giving this year are really just covers for their cheapness.

Ash 03-09-2005 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaptownChief
This is the part where it is required that a fan step in and remind you that our GM, scouts and front office are horrible at drafting players so losing the draft pick is completely irrelevant. :)

so true

Nightfyre 03-09-2005 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer baron
I think a lot of the explanations our FO is giving this year are really just covers for their cheapness.

or lack of capspace?

Nightfyre 03-09-2005 05:57 PM

Quote:

or maybe we're seeing what hartwell will say before we pull the trigger on a cb?

beer bacon 03-09-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre
or lack of capspace?

A lack of capspace, but also a lack of desire to pay large signing bonuses.

ZootedGranny 03-09-2005 06:01 PM

The Palm Beach Post report Sportsline referenced was written before Smoot signed with the Vikings. They still have the money to sign Surtain, but it'd make no sense to pay that much for Smoot to be a nickel corner.

tk13 03-09-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

But when you can add other quality players at that position for similar money through free agency without losing a draft pick, that is obviously the most logical way to go... why give up an opportunity to at least try and get a starting player in the 2nd round. If you draft a good player you can find a starter, say at OLB, at a much cheaper price than you would in FA. Now saying that and doing that are two different things obviously. On the other hand, I can't imagine if Carl drafted a CB or OLB in the 2nd round that he wouldn't be any worse than what we already have....

beer bacon 03-09-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
But when you can add other quality players at that position for similar money through free agency without losing a draft pick, that is obviously the most logical way to go... why give up an opportunity to at least try and get a starting player in the 2nd round. If you draft a good player you can find a starter, say at OLB, at a much cheaper price than you would in FA. Now saying that and doing that are two different things obviously. On the other hand, I can't imagine if Carl drafted a CB or OLB in the 2nd round that he wouldn't be any worse than what we already have....

The problem is you have to know when to strike. If the FO mistimes what they plan we could end up with nothing. If the deal is good you jump on it. You don't sit on your hands hoping a better deal reveals itself.

philfree 03-09-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

As popular as that train of thought is around here I don't buy into it. I really don't think the Chiefs spend their time thinking up excuses in an attempt to dupe their fans. As far as cheap goes I don't think that's the right word but IMO the player salaries are out of control.

beer bacon 03-09-2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

As popular as that train of thought is around here I don't buy into it. I really don't think the Chiefs spend their time thinking up excuses in an attempt to dupe their fans. As far as cheap goes I don't think that's the right word but IMO the player salaries are out of control.

The whole spinal injury fiasco is still under my skin.

Nightfyre 03-09-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Ill agree.

philfree 03-09-2005 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13

Ideally you'd want to maximize your personel acquisitions but sometimes it don't work out. If we don't trade for Surtain and Laws foot don't heal then where are we?

tk13 03-09-2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

Ideally you'd want to maximize your personel acquisitions but sometimes it don't work out. If we don't trade for Surtain and Laws foot don't heal then where are we?

These are all valid points, I didn't say it couldn't backfire... if our doctors think he'll be alright I'm willing to take the chance on Law... in my ideal world we'd sign somebody like Law, sign Herndon, and use that #2 pick with others to move up and get Derrick Johnson for an OLB position, and at least look 10 times better on paper for next year.

philfree 03-09-2005 06:16 PM

Quote:

The whole spinal injury fiasco is still under my skin.

He admitted to having the condition. The same type of condition that Miceal Irvin retired from after he discovered he had it. IMO Rolle is gambling with his health/life by playing with his condition and more so then your average NFL player.