ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   is there a Dentist in the house? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115688)

Iowanian 05-03-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief
The last one took 2 hours. I about shit when, after being worked on for two hours, he said, "Well. I'm going to stop there. We're going to have to let those holes drain for a while before we do anything else".

pffffffffffffft.

I've been doin mah dentist'in at the University for the past 5 years.....about half price, but takes twice as long.

The first trip there, was a root canal, because the previous dentist I bought a Harley for, had not done one under a crown, and drove a stake through a nerve and killed it............They determined that Novacaine wasn't necessary.........even after I pulled the left arm off of the chair. "the nerve is dead yada yada YOOOOOOOOOWZA"

Drill...look........drill.....look....drill.....look, wait for professor.....look...drill.

The average filling takes 2-3hrs by the time its done.

Since the students are all leaving for the year, I'm reduced to going to a "real dentist".....who happens to be an instructor there.

morphius 05-03-2005 02:03 PM

Newchief - Both my dentists told me what it was going to take for mine. It was not fun. I'm trying to make it till next year to have my other root canal done since it isn't bothering me too much. But damn it is pricey.

Luckily a root canal hurts a lot less then an absessed tooth or an exposed nerve.

Jenny - They are not holding it back, just nobody wants to walk around with that black tar like substance covering their teeth all the time.

Amnorix 05-03-2005 02:04 PM

I had a root canal at 18! 5 visits. I still shudder at the memory. I had an abcess and the whole experience was horrendous.

The only redeeming feature was the guy's assistance, who was hot, Hot, HOT! Smokin'. Even that didn't encourage me to go very much though.

Also, the dentist looked JUST like a young Jerry Lewis.
It was freaky (and not confidence inspiring...)

morphius 05-03-2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
I had a root canal at 18! 5 visits. I still shudder at the memory. I had an abcess and the whole experience was horrendous.

The only redeeming feature was the guy's assistance, who was hot, Hot, HOT! Smokin'. Even that didn't encourage me to go very much though.

The guys assistance was hot? I have heard it called lots of things, but assistance is a new one.

Iowanian 05-03-2005 02:08 PM

The dentist office I was going to(regularly unfortunately) 6 years ago, also had a bonus. I went on a date with the gal that worked the desk, and one of the assistants, who was a little hottie fresh out of the She-Marines.

Nothing of note but too dates, and I learned that you have to do your smoov fftawkigasvvvvvp(talking) at the appropriate time(pre-numb).

Mr. Laz 05-03-2005 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix

when i was a teen my mouth was too small (yes,yes ... all the jokes start) so the dentist pulled 8 teeth all at once.

was a long ago ... no fancy equipment, just a little Novocaine and a pair of pliers.

it was pretty bad *shudders*

C-Mac 05-03-2005 02:41 PM

I had done a Home Theater job for a local dentist and after finishing the job I was looking for a DVD to test the system. I called him and asked where I might find one and he said to look in his office\den.
I did find a DVD and in the process happen to notice a set of 7 books called "How to increase the income of your Dentistry".
:cuss:
I wonder if they dont make more than MD's now-a-days, dental costs are just way out of control IMO. Maybe if they go back to college another 6 years I would feel better about it.
:mad:

jynni 05-03-2005 02:49 PM

Whenever I read a thread like this I get the urge to call my parents and thank them for taking me to a great dentist twice a year, every year since I was about five. That and for the braces.

I actuall pay a little more to keep going to this dentist because she not on my insuance's network. She's wonderful.

Donger 05-03-2005 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyGump
This is a conspiracy. The truth is, the government knows how to prevent dental problems, but won't tell us, so that the dentists and the people making the crowns and dental stuff can make millions off of us.

It's true. I know it is, because I made it up.

Exactly!

Frankie 05-03-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I had several metal fillings done through the years by a bad local dentist.

After college I started having trouble. since then, I've had every one of them replaced. I've got 2-3 I've been told will need crowns soon, and I think soon is here this week. Started bothering me a little over the weekend.

If they aren't done right, or get a chip and leak....eventually you're hosed.

Hey Iowanian, have you considered having your dental work done at the U of I college of dentistry? I've had them for two different crowns and were impressed by both works. For half the price of everywhere else.

Mr. Kotter 05-03-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jynni
Whenever I read a thread like this I get the urge to call my parents and thank them for taking me to a great dentist twice a year, every year since I was about five. That and for the braces.

I actuall pay a little more to keep going to this dentist because she not on my insuance's network. She's wonderful.

Well, my o' my....aren't we Mary Friggin' Sunshine!!! :cuss:

j/k....just didn't think anyone ought to be positive about dental experiences.... :p

Frankie 05-03-2005 03:01 PM

OK I just saw post 16. Never mind.

kc rush 05-03-2005 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I'm going to the dentist thursday, and fully expect to hear that I need 2-3 crowns and maybe a root canal from the same damn thing.

wait until they tell you, that on top of the crowns, they'll need to do 3 $600 root canals.

Its unbelievable the amount of money a person who brushes twice a day can spend on their grass grinders.

Where in Iowa are you? My brother-in-law is an Endodontist (root canals) in Des Moines (and a season ticket holder).

NewChief 05-03-2005 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jynni

The sad thing is that a ton of dental condition is just genetic. Peridontal disease and deep pits are inherited. If you get it, you get it, and no amount of prevention will totally keep it at bay. My dad's a freaking dentist, and a damned good one, and I still have a ton of problems despite twice yearly checkups growing up because I have deep pits in my teeth and inherited poor gums from my mother.

It sucks no longer living in the same town as him, because my root canal would have been free if I'd had one of his friends do it. He couldn't do it because it was so bad, I had to see an endodontist.

Bwana 05-03-2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
they are saying that my old metal fillings are cracking my teeth and now i need to have all of them replaced with porcelain fillings.

No shit? :shake: If this happens to me, I am going to run down my old dentist and whip his ass. I hate dentists worse than lawyers.