ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the hardest pitch to hit? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119387)

HemiEd 07-12-2005 02:18 PM

for me it was the one that was moving

Dawson4004 07-12-2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadmonkey
Wrong, high and tight fast ball followed by a low and outside off speed pitch. You have the batter shaken up a bit and is terrified to lean over the plate at all, and he is still thinking about that fastball that almost took his head off.

Nastiest combo that most pitchers can't do because they themselves are too scared to go high and tight now without being tossed out of the game and fined.

If you can locate a 100mph fastball any where, then follow up with a Change up (offspeed of your choice, just as long as it still looks like a fastball) you are going to be a cy young canidate year in and year out. I am not talking about scaring your average hitters...even the best hitters look foolish being called out on a called strike three change.

cadmonkey 07-12-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawson4004
If you can locate a 100mph fastball any where, then follow up with a Change up (offspeed of your choice, just as long as it still looks like a fastball) you are going to be a cy young canidate year in and year out. I am not talking about scaring your average hitters...even the best hitters look foolish being called out on a called strike three change.

I'm not saying to scare them into striking out. Even if it isn't chin music, but something in and fast, even low followed by something on the outside half of the plate will make them swing.

TRing 07-12-2005 02:26 PM

Basically it's all about deception. Any pitch can be equally as deadly if the batter is thinking something else. Cadmonkey you are right to an extent, and so are you Dawson, but not every situation is scripted. If a hitter is looking low and away after he gets the heat high and tight, and that is where it is thrown.. well.... touch em' all

RedDread 07-12-2005 02:27 PM

I always had a problem with a tailing fastball from a righty, one that starts over the plate and tails inside. It's so hard to do anything with that pitch

I think it's a 2 seam so that's what I voted for

Hammock Parties 07-12-2005 02:33 PM

Francisco Cordero has the combo thing going. I've seen so many batters strike out on his slider as it dips out of the strike zone. They were thinking "here comes the 98 mph fastball in on my hands" and suddenly it takes a dive. I really like watching him pitch.

Hammock Parties 07-12-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseWolf
I always had a problem with a tailing fastball from a righty, one that starts over the plate and tails inside. It's so hard to do anything with that pitch

I think it's a 2 seam so that's what I voted for

Yes that is the same pitch. A few of these are similar. What's the difference between a palmball, a splitter, a forkball and a sinker? Just speed or what?

Dawson4004 07-12-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRing
Basically it's all about deception. Any pitch can be equally as deadly if the batter is thinking something else. Cadmonkey you are right to an extent, and so are you Dawson, but not every situation is scripted. If a hitter is looking low and away after he gets the heat high and tight, and that is where it is thrown.. well.... touch em' all

Could not have said that any better....Deception is the key. But I still dont care what anyone says...a 100mph fastball located that has some movement on it is damn near impossible to hit well.

TRing 07-12-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
Francisco Cordero has the combo thing going. I've seen so many batters strike out on his slider as it dips out of the strike zone. They were thinking "here comes the 98 mph fastball in on my hands" and suddenly it takes a dive. I really like watching him pitch.

if you get a chance, watch barry zito just kill people with his looping curve. It is one of the best in the majors (when it is working)

Hammock Parties 07-12-2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRing
if you get a chance, watch barry zito just kill people with his looping curve. It is one of the best in the majors (when it is working)

He's a tough nut in MVP, too.

I was really impressed with Andy Pettite at the last real ballgame I went to. The Astros pen sucks apparently, so they left him in 8 innings and 120 pitches. He was dominant.

Miles 07-12-2005 02:38 PM

I think it depends on how effective the pitcher is at making the particular pich and how it is set up.

For a single pitch Mariano Rivera's cut fastball comes to mind. 95mph and runs away from right handers and at the hands of lefties.

Hammock Parties 07-12-2005 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles
I think it depends on how effective the pitcher is at making the particular pich and how it is set up.

For a single pitch Mariano Rivera's cut fastball comes to mind. 95mph and runs away from right handers and at the hands of lefties.

I think the cut fastball is maybe my favorite pitch. No one on my MVP roster throws it though. :(

Dawson4004 07-12-2005 02:41 PM

Yeah Cut fastball is a filthy pitch. espically one that cuts late like Mariano Rivera's cut fastball does.

Dawson4004 07-12-2005 02:47 PM

Rogers Clemens' splitter is one of the nastiest pitches in real life...on MVP the hardest pitch to hit I would say is the Slider that breaks 10-4 that goes 90mph right after they throw the Curveball that breaks 10-4 that goes 70mphs.

Ghostof 07-12-2005 02:49 PM

"What is the hardest pitch to hit?"

Your mom...oh wait....you said PITCH...