ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why my next lawn mower will be a Snapper (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134051)

chagrin 01-18-2006 11:55 AM

Anyone who shops there currently, has no business complaining about what it does to the economy.

PastorMikH 01-18-2006 11:56 AM

Snappers are excellent mowers. I have 1 push mower that is about 20 years old and still mows great and 2 riders (1 recently got demoted to parts mower but it is over 30 years old - though a new motor and it would be mowing again). They are tough and solid and will still be mowing when a comparable Craftsman is rusting in a ditch someplace.

MichaelH 01-18-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
What's ironic is that I find Sam's Club steaks among the best out there. Course, the two closest Sam's are brand spanking new and gleaming.

A coworker's father is a very good butcher and has said the same thing. He buys all his beef at Sam's Club. I never have so I cannot verify his statement. I'll go to the locally owned store for now on.

NewChief 01-18-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
Anyone who shops there currently, has no business complaining about what it does to the economy.

I agree completely. That's another reason I probably feel better since I quit shopping there. I can now bitch more.

PastorMikH 01-18-2006 11:58 AM

As for Walmart. Why is it that they fill the isles with pallets of stuff at 8 o'clock at night and make it hard to get a shopping cart around? I mean, at 8 pm it's usually still pretty crowded with people. Nevermind that you are open 24 hours and could do the stocking after midnight.

We have a Big K (Kmart) here in town. I like it, though their prices are a bit higher and some departments lack the selection.

NewChief 01-18-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

What's ironic is that I find Sam's Club steaks among the best out there. Course, the two closest Sam's are brand spanking new and gleaming.

Sam's and Wal-Mart are very different entities. They're actually run as two separate corporations, I believe. Anyway, Sam's carries lots of product lines and products not available at Wal-Mart. They've got a Fair-Trade, organic coffee that is awesome. It sells for like $8 for 3 lbs or so, too. They've also got much better cheeses. Manchego for one. They also carry huge bags of frozen edamame, which is delicious. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of restaurants actually use Sam's to supply their kitchens.

Baby Lee 01-18-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
Snappers are excellent mowers. I have 1 push mower that is about 20 years old and still mows great and 2 riders (1 recently got demoted to parts mower but it is over 30 years old - though a new motor and it would be mowing again). They are tough and solid and will still be mowing when a comparable Craftsman is rusting in a ditch someplace.

My dad presently has 8 snapper riders [it's a sickness], two of which I was riding when I was 8 yo. For the longest, my Gramps would buy a new one every 4-5 years and my dad would take the old one and keep it in good running order. Since gramps died, he's picked a couple more at flea markets and swap meets. He also has a '80's model snapper push and the snapper weedeater with all the attachments, including the ultra-cool mini roto-tiller.

FAX 01-18-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief
Sam's and Wal-Mart are very different entities. They're actually run as two separate corporations, I believe. Anyway, Sam's carries lots of product lines and products not available at Wal-Mart. They've got a Fair-Trade, organic coffee that is awesome. It sells for like $8 for 3 lbs or so, too. They've also got much better cheeses. Manchego for one. They also carry huge bags of frozen edamame, which is delicious. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of restaurants actually use Sam's to supply their kitchens.

Sam's is also the only place I know of where you can get a 20 gallon container of yellow mustard at a decent price.

FAX THE SMART SHOPPER

Frazod 01-18-2006 12:04 PM

The Wal-Mart closest to me is disgusting - cramped, dirty and packed with people, most of whom are speaking languages other than English. I've been there twice, and that's twice too often. I wouldn't go back there to take a dump. I'll stick with Target for my bargain shopping.

Demonpenz 01-18-2006 12:04 PM

I just don't have the time to F with wal mart. I will pay more for convience most of the time

Adept Havelock 01-18-2006 12:08 PM

When it comes to Lawnmowers and Ladies, Snappers win everytime!

I too avoid the 10th circle of hell known as Wal-Mart.

PastorMikH 01-18-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

My dad presently has 8 snapper riders [it's a sickness], two of which I was riding when I was 8 yo. For the longest, my Gramps would buy a new one every 4-5 years and my dad would take the old one and keep it in good running order. Since gramps died, he's picked a couple more at flea markets and swap meets. He also has a '80's model snapper push and the snapper weedeater with all the attachments, including the ultra-cool mini roto-tiller.

Really, if a person wants a good rider and doesn't mind it not looking shiny and new, he can pick up a used Snapper cheap and even pay a repairshop if need be to fix the things that need repair, and he will still have a better mower for the $ than he can buy from Walmart.

My "New" Snapper cost me $125 bucks. I bought it from a repair shop that didn't want to mess with it. They said it had governor problems when all that was wrong was the carb linkage was put together wrong. Since then, I have put a new motor on it as the original Briggs was using more oil than gas.

chagrin 01-18-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

"it's a sickness"

Preach on brother, I am addicted to snapper too.

Giggitty! Giggitty! Gig-gi-TY!

:whackit:

FAX 01-18-2006 12:30 PM

When Mrs. FAX calls the office and says, "Bring home a 90 lb bag of miniature marshmellows, honey.", Sam's is the place I go.

FAX

Baby Lee 01-18-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
When Mrs. FAX calls the office and says, "Bring home a 90 lb bag of miniature marshmellows, honey.", Sam's is the place I go.

FAX

Word to the wise, those home remedies for yeast infections don't actually work.