ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Favorite songs over 10 minutes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=138224)

Baby Lee 03-31-2006 10:45 AM

Modest Moussorgsky - The Great Gate of Kiev, from Pictures at an Exhibition.
Tchaichovsky - 1812 Overture.

MOhillbilly 03-31-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16
Iron Maiden - "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

my fav by far.

NewChief 03-31-2006 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Baby Lee]Modest Moussorgsky - The Great Gate of Kiev, from Pictures at an Exhibition.
[QUOTE]

For some reason it just dawned on me that Modest Mouse likely named themselves as a play on his name. Maybe that's common knowledge, though, and I'm just a moron.

chagrin 03-31-2006 12:05 PM

I cannot remember if this was actually over 10 or not but it had to be damn close
Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Title Track)
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray, 1 song - 12 parts

siberian khatru 03-31-2006 12:17 PM

A bazillion Yes and Genesis songs. Won't bore you with the titles.

Also, "Echoes" by Pink Floyd; "Carrying No Cross" by U.K.; "Fracture" and "Starless," King Crimson

StcChief 03-31-2006 12:51 PM

Most are what mode your in as a factor.

ELP - Pictures at an exibition

Early Floyd had alot of long songs.

This list is full of good choices I had forgot about.

Mr. Laz 03-31-2006 02:49 PM

In-A-Gadda-da-vida Iron Butterfly
war pigs (extended) Black sabbath

Nightwish 03-31-2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16
Iron Maiden - "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

I almost put that one, but for some reason I was thinking it was just a hair under 10 minutes. But I just looked it up, and it's over 13 minutes, so add that one to my list.

Another one I forgot to mention, and which I'm a little surprised nobody else has listed, running at 11:41, is ...

The Doors - "The End"

Back when I used to play AD&D regularly, we used to start each gaming session by listening to "The End," to get everyone in the mood for their characters to die!

Nightwish 03-31-2006 05:27 PM

By the way, is it true that "In-a-gadda-da-vida" is a drunken slur of "In the Garden of Eden?" I've heard that many times.

Oz_Chief 03-31-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwish
By the way, is it true that "In-a-gadda-da-vida" is a drunken slur of "In the Garden of Eden?" I've heard that many times.

Yes. I believe that bit of trivia is even stated in the liner notes.

Ever see the Simpsons when Bart switches the sheet music in church to this tune? Wicked.

Reaper16 03-31-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the song was originally In The Garden of Eden. It was either an early take in recording, or a rehearsal, but the singer was a lil inebriated and slurred the line. They kept it that way as a joke and recorded it purposely as In a gadda da vida.

Nzoner 03-31-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

When I was a very young man my Uncle told me a story that according to him went with the song.It's too long to type out but the jist of it is about a guy who parties too hard,apparently dies and is buried by his friends only to awake buried alive.

The screeching in the latter half of the song is supposedly the dude scratching at the coffin.

Again,I was told this at a young age,I really don't know if there's any fact to it or not.

HolmeZz 03-31-2006 11:53 PM

I don't listen to any ten minute songs, but 2 longer songs I like are Konstantine by Something Corporate and American Pie by Don MacLean.

ZepSinger 04-01-2006 12:00 AM

Inside Looking Out- Grand Funk Railroad
Highway 61- Johnny Winter

mitchbade 04-01-2006 12:44 AM

kids-moe.

timmy tucker-moe.