ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Citizen Kane: A Cinematic Argument (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140396)

Eleazar 05-07-2006 01:00 PM

It's a good movie, but I don't hold it in as high of acclaim as some do. I think it may have been better understood by the public at the time, when people like Hearst were more commonly known.

DaneMcCloud 05-07-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal
OK...I have to admit, I've never seen this classic film- regarded by some honchos to be the greatest film ever. I did have my chance in high school journalism class when the class was forced to watch it. I, ahem, fell asleep during the movie. (Hey, high school, vaps a lot of energy out of you.)

Anyways, I am thinking of watching it again. But, before I do, I wanted to know what those who have seen it- think of it. Why is it such a great film? Please, share your thoughts and arguments. I'll get a bowl of popcorn.

If you're going to rent CK, I suggest you also rent RKO 281 which is the story behind the making of CK. It stars Liev Schrieber as Orson Welles (along with a lot of other great actors, including John Malkovich) and really details William Hearst and his power. You'll also find out the true meaning of "Rosebud", and it's definitely not a sled.

cdcox 05-07-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
If you're going to rent CK, I suggest you also rent RKO 281 which is the story behind the making of CK. It stars Liev Schrieber as Orson Welles (along with a lot of other great actors, including John Malkovich) and really details William Hearst and his power. You'll also find out the true meaning of "Rosebud", and it's definitely not a sled.

Never knew this. RKO 281 definitely goes on my "to see" list. Thanks, Mr. Movie Industry Expert®.

FAX 05-07-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
It's a good movie, but I don't hold it in as high of acclaim as some do. I think it may have been better understood by the public at the time, when people like Hearst were more commonly known.

I think you're right, Mr. Cochise. Modern audiences can't really engage with this movie on the basis of "entertainment" anymore. Mainly because it's so dated.

I read once that Steinbeck claimed that you could read Grapes Of Wrath on 7 different levels. I'm certain few, if any, people outside of academia ever attempted to do that. This movie is sort of like that, I suppose.

You don't watch it for entertainment, you watch it for other reasons. One of those is to admire the filmmaking skills employed. Like breaking down a football game into it's parts, it's interesting to see how the film was constructed and why. Then, there's the allegory, the impressionistic symbolism, etc. If you're not into that, it's probably a waste of time.

FAX

Eleazar 05-07-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
You don't watch it for entertainment, you watch it for other reasons. One of those is to admire the filmmaking skills employed.

I thought there were some cool subtleties involved, like how the camera looks up at some characters and down at others. But mainly I watched it to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was good, but I wouldn't say it was all that remarkable, to me.

JohnnyV13 05-07-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise

Its interesting that this topic comes up now. I only saw CK a few days ago for the first time when Turner Classic Movies played it.

Its a good movie. I didn't "blow me away", but it does have a certain emotional power. I missed the beginning scene where he dies alone, so I went online to figure out what the hell the burning of the sled at the end meant.

Anyway...that led to to reading quite a bit about it, and I found out that CK was a BOMB at the box office in 1941. It won 9 oscars (or was nominated for, i don't remember), but every time it was announced as a contestant the oscar audience booed it.

MahiMike 05-07-2006 01:36 PM

Boooorrrriiiiinnnnngggg!

listopencil 05-07-2006 06:18 PM

"The Manchurian Candidate" (1962) was better.

listopencil 05-07-2006 06:18 PM

In fact, Casablanca was better as well.

listopencil 05-07-2006 06:19 PM

I bet we could fill a thread with movies that were better than Citizen Kane.

stevieray 05-07-2006 06:27 PM

Maybe it's because it epitomizes the art of making a film, rather than the actual storyline?

:shrug:

Moooo 05-07-2006 08:11 PM

I didn't see any analysis of it, and I still haven't, but that movie rocks. Also, I know I'm not the best analyst (Just a 22 year old Psych major), but I saw a great story about a guy losing his innocence throughout his life. I thought Rosebud was the symbol of this, its burning in the end showing how he had gone from a sweet, innocent child who loved his sled, to a unhappy, bitter old man who lost everything he had except for a massive amount of statues and other various effects.

Between this and King Kong, I have come to the conclusion RKO made a lot of good movies. I don't know why it isn't still around.

Moooo

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-07-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooo
I didn't see any analysis of it, and I still haven't, but that movie rocks. Also, I know I'm not the best analyst (Just a 22 year old Psych major), but I saw a great story about a guy losing his innocence throughout his life. I thought Rosebud was the symbol of this, its burning in the end showing how he had gone from a sweet, innocent child who loved his sled, to a unhappy, bitter old man who lost everything he had except for a massive amount of statues and other various effects.

Between this and King Kong, I have come to the conclusion RKO made a lot of good movies. I don't know why it isn't still around.

Moooo

Collapse of the studio system in the postwar years...

Miles 05-07-2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooo

Moooo

Howard Hughes bought it sometime in the late 40's when it was still very stong and supposedly mismanaged it. I think he sold it a few years later to some company that made a half assed attempt to run the studio and eventually it just died off.

Frazod 05-07-2006 08:58 PM

I've seen Citizen Kane once and thought it was good but overrated.

I think I've seen Gone With the Wind three times over the years. There won't be a fourth. Yuck. Fran Drescher + Southern Accent = Scarlet O'hara. :bang:

Both of these films are Casablanca's bitches.