ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Patriots are confusing me (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159270)

OnTheWarpath15 03-05-2007 03:26 PM

Not justifying it, but NE does have 2 first round picks. They must feel that makes the R2 expendable......

Mile High Mania 03-05-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58
Not justifying it, but NE does have 2 first round picks. They must feel that makes the R2 expendable......

It just seems a bit much for Wes Welker. If there is a poison pill aspect to the contract, nobody has found it. I am just thinking back to previous examples... weren't they made public?

OnTheWarpath15 03-05-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
It just seems a bit much for Wes Welker. If there is a poison pill aspect to the contract, nobody has found it. I am just thinking back to previous examples... weren't they made public?

I agree, it is a bit much. I was just reminding everyone of the R1 x 2.

Maybe that is part of their thought process.

Maybe they just REALLY like the guy.

Who knows.

Undertaker #59 03-05-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

No offer sheet has been signed yet.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal.../reiss_pieces/

Receiver Wes Welker is visiting with the Patriots today at Gillette Stadium. In addition, a source close to the situation indicated that there have been attempts to spark conversations between the Patriots and Dolphins, opening the possibility that Welker could be traded.

Because Welker is a restricted free agent, and the Patriots are visiting with him today, it was assumed in some circles that the team would sign him to an offer sheet.

At this point, it seems the Patriots are exploring all their options.

While the Patriots could still sign Welker to an offer sheet, don't rule out the possibility of a trade.

Mile High Mania 03-05-2007 03:43 PM

This could be wrong, but...

<A name=378945>Patriots | Welker update
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:29:38 -0800Dan Pires, of The Standard-Times, reports the offer sheet the New England Patriots signed restricted free agent WR Wes Welker (Dolphins) is a seven-year, $38 million offer, according to sources close to the situation. The Patriots would have to give up a second-round draft pick to the Miami Dolphins should the Dolphins decline to match the offer.

Undertaker #59 03-05-2007 03:56 PM

Yes, that is the same post as the original. It is what was believed over the weekend. But we have found out today from the beat writer's blogs that the offer sheet has not been signed yet.

Undertaker #59 03-05-2007 04:12 PM

Pats acquire Welker
The Patriots acquired receiver Wes Welker from the Miami Dolphins today for undisclosed draft choices.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports that the Patriots will give up second- and seventh-round picks.

Welker, who enters his fourth NFL season, was a restricted free agent. The Dolphins had tendered him a one-year, $1.3 million offer and any team that attempted to sign him to an offer sheet would have had to surrender a second-round draft choice.

Welker, who is coming off a career-high 67-catch season, visited with Patriots officials at Gillette Stadium today.

Welker joins a receiving corps that includes Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Kelvin Kight and Bam Childress. Veteran Troy Brown could also return, although he previously said he is taking a wait and see approach to free agency.

-----------------------------

So they did a trade rather than worry about any kind of poison pill contract.

Mile High Mania 03-05-2007 04:18 PM

The 7th is essentially nothing, but I still don't get the giving up of a #2.

Amnorix 03-05-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

The 7th is essentially nothing, but I still don't get the giving up of a #2.

You don't? That's because you overrate draft picks, then, in my humble opinion.

He's 25, so he's what? 3 years older than an average draft pick, but he's already a vet (so he'll help NOW, not in 2-3 years, like most WRs do (even very good ones almost always do nothing as rookies), which is something the Pats need.

Also, 2nd round picks are far from a lock to be a solid, contributing player. The washout rate for 1st round picks is very high, much less 2nds, and even the Pats have many examples of this. For every Deion Branch there is a Marquise Hill or a Bethel Johnson.

Welker is a high energy, very flexible, excellent slot man with good skills on both offense and STs. He's comparable, roughly, to a Troy Brown, Dave Meggett, or Wayne Chrebet. But again, he's 25.

That's worth a 2nd, easily, especially to a team that REALLY needs a freakin' WR.

The money was phoney money. Now that we traded for him, we'll sign him to a contract that won't reflect what that offer sheet was all about.

dtebbe 03-05-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

What is the deal with Welker? What is it about Welker that is (a) worth the contract and (b) worth a 2nd round pick if MIA doesn't match?

He's basically an Ashly LeLe that can catch.

DT

Mecca 03-05-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
You don't? That's because you overrate draft picks, then, in my humble opinion.

He's 25, so he's what? 3 years older than an average draft pick, but he's already a vet (so he'll help NOW, not in 2-3 years, like most WRs do (even very good ones almost always do nothing as rookies), which is something the Pats need.

Also, 2nd round picks are far from a lock to be a solid, contributing player. The washout rate for 1st round picks is very high, much less 2nds, and even the Pats have many examples of this. For every Deion Branch there is a Marquise Hill or a Bethel Johnson.

Welker is a high energy, very flexible, excellent slot man with good skills on both offense and STs. He's comparable, roughly, to a Troy Brown, Dave Meggett, or Wayne Chrebet. But again, he's 25.

That's worth a 2nd, easily, especially to a team that REALLY needs a freakin' WR.

The money was phoney money. Now that we traded for him, we'll sign him to a contract that won't reflect what that offer sheet was all about.

Are you ready for Randy Moss?

Amnorix 03-05-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Are you ready for Randy Moss?

No, not really. On that one I just have to rub my prayer beads and keep chanting "In Belichick We Trust"

:shrug:

Mile High Mania 03-05-2007 09:20 PM

I don't think I overrate draft picks, but I also don't think Welker warrants a deal that is worth $18.1 million with $10 million guaranteed. We'll see.

Halfcan 03-05-2007 09:22 PM

Thanks Pats for letting the Colts win the SB-I will never forgive you guys.

Amnorix 03-06-2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
Thanks Pats for letting the Colts win the SB-I will never forgive you guys.

Can't say I was exactly thrilled about it myself...