ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Just in case you cared (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164695)

Silock 06-19-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
GET OFF OUR FIELD!

Ironically enough, if more people bought tickets, they'd have been out of Arrowhead a long time ago.

So, the best thing you can do to get them out is to go buy tickets :)

Silock 06-19-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
did they get a soccer stadium approved in KC?

they really need to be in a smaller venue...wish they were around when I lived in Kansas...

Nope. The talk right now is that they'll build one on the old Bannister Mall site.

the Talking Can 06-19-2007 10:18 AM

listening to Royals fans dog soccer is always a hoot....

|Zach| 06-19-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Red Sea
Werent the wizards knocked out of the playoffs a month ago?
I think the Rockets beat them.

------

I got a tad nervous last yr when my 7 yr old was still playing soccer...but This summer hes moved on to football & Baseball!!!

HELL YEAH!!!!!!

I'd heard rumors that usually boys dont grow out of kickin the ball across the 95 acre field till 14ish... WHEW!!!..I gots LUCKY!

Oh god sorry man this is a soccers kool thread..

Anyhow funny story thats 100% true...

One of my sons soccer games Last yr I was wondering the sidelines pretending to be interested for him when another father next to me answered his cell phone..it had to be his wife asking how the game was going..

He screamed into the phone.. HOWS IT GOING?!?!
I'll F'en tell you how its F'en going The coach just said congrats I think you have a proffesional soccer player on your hands!!!!
This IS his last F'en yr playing this crap!!
& hung up.

Pepsi shot out my nose as I laughed out loud...though fully understanding his pain.

sorry again I know this is a pro soccer thread so for you that like it go The Kansas City Winners!!!
I hope you make it alll the way to the ummm Mega Bowl!!!

Alrighty, obviously a made up story.

Silock 06-19-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
listening to Royals fans dog soccer is always a hoot....

The funniest is listening to the Chiefs fans that probably don't realize Lamar Hunt cared just as much, if not more, about soccer than he did about football, and that he's in the United States Soccer Hall of Fame. Oh wait . . . I forgot -- soccer is gay! OH NOEZ LOL!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...ot=us&&cc=5901

http://www.soccerhall.org/builders/lamar_hunt.htm

For his efforts in building the sport of soccer in the United States in the modern era, Hunt was inducted into the U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame in 1982.

Personal Information
Class of 1982
Born: August 2, 1932 - Eldorado, AR
Died: December 13, 2006 - Dallas, TX

He was one of the leading initial investors, at first in the United Soccer Association in 1967, and then in the North American Soccer League in 1968. As the owner of the Dallas Tornado, one of the sports model franchises for 14 years, he saw the league grow from five clubs in 1969 to 24 ten years later. The NASL folded early in 1985 but when Major League Soccer was formed in 1996 he once again became a major player in the effort to have the United States take it's place on soccer's world stage. Here not only did he become the Investor-Operator of one club, but two, the Columbus Crew and the Kansas City Wizards, with the Wizards winning the MLS Cup championship in the 2000 season. In addition he led the way in building Columbus Crew Stadium the first stadium in the United States, in the modern era, built specifically for soccer. Hunt's love of sports also extends to American football as an original organizer of the American Football League in 1960, and as the founder of the Kansas City Chiefs. Later he was a principal negotiator in the AFL's merger with the National Football League and upon completion of the merger his team appeared in two of the first four Super Bowls.

In 1999 Lamar was awarded the National Soccer Hall of Fame's Medal of Honor. The Medal of Honor is bestowed upon individuals who have been pioneers for soccer and who have significantly impacted the game of Soccer at the national level. These award winners have changed the sports landscape, creating a broader environment for the sport. There can be no quibble, the game is better for their contribution.

---

When Lamar Hunt was courting his wife, Norma, they stood on the terraces for a Shamrock Rovers match in Dublin. That trip to Ireland in 1962 also kicked off Hunt's interest in soccer and started him on a path toward becoming the game's most persistent financial backer in the U.S.

Hunt was a farsighted and innovative investor in sports, starting with the American Football League in 1960, then the North American Soccer League, World Championship Tennis and Major League Soccer. But Hunt, who died Wednesday after an eight-year battle with prostate cancer, still kept a low profile and in interviews remained humble and revealed he was aware of his own mortality.

Lamar Hunt was one of the biggest backers of the sport of soccer in America.

In 1962, Hunt was a 30-year-old heir to an oil fortune and had already made his mark in professional sports as a founder of the AFL. His impact on professional sports started to take effect in the late 1960s, and his adventurous spirit and imagination would help shape soccer in the U.S. He was impressed by television transmissions of the 1966 World Cup final and became an original investor in the NASL as owner of the Dallas Tornado. Hunt was a key figure in the AFL-NFL merger and coined the term "Super Bowl" (inspired by his daughter Sharron's super ball toy) for professional football's championship game. He began attending World Cup matches in Mexico in 1970, witnessing every Brazil match (except for the 1978 World Cup in Argentina) through 2002.

But Hunt's longest-lasting legacy could be his decision to build Columbus Crew Stadium, the first soccer-specific stadium of consequence constructed in the U.S. since the 1920s. Four more such stadiums have been completed for MLS teams (including Hunt's Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas), two are set to open next year (Denver and Toronto), and ground has been broken on two more.

"One stadium in one city and one sold-out game doesn't make a success," Hunt said before the opening of Crew Stadium in 1999. "But this stadium will be here for 50 years, even if I won't be.''

Crew Stadium was not extravagant. But it symbolized much about Hunt's vision and how he regarded soccer in the U.S. Crew Stadium cost about $29 million, a fraction of Hunt's fortune, but the importance of it was that it started a movement toward similar stadiums.

After the 2002 World Cup, during which Hunt visited all 20 stadiums used in Japan and South Korea, Hunt was asked when he thought soccer would succeed in the U.S.

"I have no doubts that it will be a major sport in the United States," Hunt said. "I'm probably not going to live to see that day because Americans are a little afraid of getting interested in something at which they're not very good. So it depends on how quickly the U.S. can become good. Well, we've made huge strides since the 1990 World Cup, USA '94, and obviously since '98. Unfortunately, those strides only register with the public once every four years. But I have no question that we're going to see the sport become a major success in the United States, with high attendance at club games.''

Hunt was an ambitious proponent of soccer in the '60s, funding a world tour for the Dallas Tornado before they had played a home game, and bringing top European talent to the team. But by 1969, there were only five teams still in business and Hunt was a key figure in keeping the league going until the arrival of Pele' in 1975.

By 1981, though, the NASL was declining again, and Hunt folded the Tornado. He became more cautious with the MLS, believing the U.S. public only needed time to catch on to professional soccer, and the league required conservative, slow-growth policies rather than ambitious player acquisitions.

Hunt was unable to translate his interest in Brazil into flashy, winning soccer, though. Hunt's only championships were with the Tornado in 1971 and the Kansas City Wizards in 2000.

Hunt was the son of Haroldson Lafayette (H.L.) Hunt, who moved away from his Illinois farming family to Arkansas, where oil prospecting led him to tycoon status and the designation as possibly the richest man in the world. Lamar Hunt was born Aug. 2, 1932, in El Dorado, Ark., attended the Hill School in Pottstown, Pa., and attained a Bachelor of Science degree in geology from Southern Methodist University in 1956. Hunt's first exposure to soccer was as a student at the Hill School; he played football at SMU.

National Football League owners rejected Hunt's attempts to establish a new franchise, so he joined a group called "The Foolish Club," which would charge investors $25,000 each for a franchise in the AFL. Eight teams started playing in 1960 and by 1966 had become successful enough to challenge the NFL on the field. And fittingly, at the end of that 1966 season, Hunt's Kansas City Chiefs were playing in the first Super Bowl.

Hunt, as owner of the Kansas City Chiefs again clashed with the traditional NFL power structure when the NASL was established in December 1967 (following a merger of the nascent United States Soccer League and the National Professional Soccer League), when NFL owners began challenging the right to cross ownership of professional teams. Joe Robbie averted the challenge by naming his wife, Elizabeth, owner of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. The NASL won an anti-trust suit against the NFL, and though the judgment came too late for the league, it helped clear the way for Hunt and others such as Robert Kraft to invest in the MLS. When the MLS started in 1996, Hunt was listed as investor-operator of the Columbus Crew and Kansas City Wiz. Three years later, Hunt added the Dallas Burn. Hunt sold the Kansas City team to local investors this year.

In 1999, the U.S. Open Cup, the longest continuously held national team sporting competition in the country, was named the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

Hunt had been battling prostate cancer since 1998 and was unable to attend the World Cup in Germany last summer. His sons, Clark and Dan, did attend the 2006 World Cup and are important figures in the management of FC Dallas and the MLS. Clark and Dan Hunt both graduated from SMU, Clark captaining the soccer team.

Frank Dell'Apa is a soccer columnist for The Boston Globe and ESPN.

|Zach| 06-19-2007 10:32 AM

They have a good team that has been fun to watch. The NY game was a good one. I didn't know they were not doing well in attendance I thought they were average for the MLS. I will be heading out there the 24th with some friends.