ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   When was the last time you felt an earthquake? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=174566)

Easy 6 11-15-2007 12:32 PM

3 or 4 minor ones in Fairbanks, Alaska.

It kinda gives you the impression of feeling dizzy when you stand up, your steps feel unsure & everything seems to vibrate.

JohninGpt 11-15-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free
3 or 4 minor ones in Fairbanks, Alaska.

It kinda gives you the impression of feeling dizzy when you stand up, your steps feel unsure & everything seems to vibrate.

The one in the Philippines was my first. It felt like I was standing on a sheet of plywood in a swimming pool full of jello.

1ChiefsDan 11-15-2007 12:52 PM

First was when the wife and I lived in SanFran - 93/94 timeframe. Also felt one when we lived in Vegas - probably 96ish. Not that memorable - they all knocked a few things off shelves but nothing collapsed.

Iowanian 11-15-2007 01:00 PM

I was drunk in college and apparently in bed with this Indian(feather not dot) gal known as Buffalo Heifer from that point on.....she fell out of her bunk when I tried to flip her over....and the people on all 7 floors of that tower thought there was an earthquake.

Skip is just upset with me because his slinky doesn't go down stairs anymore.

thehead 11-15-2007 01:07 PM

MT St Helens 1979 not the big one just enough to make pictures fall of the walls. Dad was in the Pulp & Paper biz , right after that episode we moved back to Louisiana.

Easy 6 11-15-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninGpt
The one in the Philippines was my first. It felt like I was standing on a sheet of plywood in a swimming pool full of jello.

Thats a very good way of explaining the sensation.

Wile_E_Coyote 11-15-2007 01:36 PM

They happen alot more than I realize

The History of Earthquakes in Missouri

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/geology/geosrv...storyMOeqs.htm

Small earthquakes and tremors occur frequently in Missouri. Thousands of quakes have been noted in the state since 1795 and have been recorded since 1908. In recent times, earthquakes have been known to rock tall buildings and crack plaster in Missouri homes. Most were accompanied by numerous aftershocks, which are a series of successive quakes that can cause more damage than the initial shock.

Geologic studies indicate that large earthquakes occurred within the southeastern Missouri region in approximately 300 AD, 900 AD, and 1400 AD. Lesser quakes of 4.6 or below have occurred in 1990, 1992, 1998 and 2003 in areas ranging from central Missouri to the far southeastern bootheel of Missouri.

Geologists, seismologists, and planners caution against developing heavily populated areas on land previously ruptured or shaken by quakes, because these areas are predictable sources of future earthquakes. Earthquakes reoccur along faults, which are fractures in the earth’s crust. Southeast Missouri is part of a mid-continent fault zone that includes seven states. Seismologists regard it as one of the most potentially dangerous earthquake regions in the country.

About 200 shocks are detected every year in the New Madrid Seismic Zone (or Central United States Seismic Zone). Earthquakes in that zone could affect parts of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee.

Most of the quakes are only detectable by sensitive instruments, but southeast Missouri is disrupted once or twice every 18 months by earthquakes strong enough to crack plaster in buildings. In varying degrees, a major earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone would affect all states east of the Rocky Mountains.

Although not recorded by modern instruments, a sequence of earthquakes that occurred near New Madrid in 1811-1812 included three of the most intense ever to occur on this continent. The New Madrid quakes were followed by aftershocks that continued for more than two years. More than 2,000 shocks were felt at least 180 miles away from their centers.

Eyewitnesses of the New Madrid earthquakes said, “The surface of the earth rose and fell like the long, low swell of the sea, tilting the trees until their branches interlocked, and opening the soil in deep cracks... landslides swept down the steeper bluffs and hillsides; considerable areas were uplifted, and still larger areas sunk and became covered with water emerging through fissures... high banks [of the Mississippi] caved and were precipitated into the river; sand bars and points of islands gave way, and whole islands disappeared.”

New lakes, islands, and streams appeared, and much of the topography of the southeastern corner of Missouri was changed completely. Within three months, the three largest quakes caused vast destruction, distorted lines of sight and level, and flung objects into the air. They were felt throughout 2.5 million square miles and rang church bells in Washington, D.C.

To learn more, see our page on how earthquakes are measured or read the comparison between the Richter Magnitude or Modified Mercalli Intensity Scales or an explanation of the relationship of increasing magnitudes. You may be interested in understanding earthquakes or what to do before, during or after an earthquake, or read our interesting earthquake facts and look at a few earthquake hazards maps for Missouri.

kcxiv 11-15-2007 01:42 PM

A big one? 1994 back in Los Angeles. I was at my grandmothers house. It happened about 5am or so. I was sleeping on the couch and the earth moved so hard that it actually threw me off the couch.

88TG88 11-15-2007 02:13 PM

About 6 months ago.

Duck Dog 11-15-2007 02:19 PM

'92 in Izmir, Turkey. My apartment was on the 6th floor of 10 story building built from gravel and held together with chewing gum. I could see out the windows and we were swaying big time. Scary shit.

banyon 11-15-2007 02:21 PM

Damn, I came to this thread looking for Mangino jokes.

StcChief 11-15-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I was drunk in college and apparently in bed with this Indian(feather not dot) gal known as Buffalo Heifer from that point on.....she fell out of her bunk when I tried to flip her over....and the people on all 7 floors of that tower thought there was an earthquake.

Skip is just upset with me because his slinky doesn't go down stairs anymore.

LMAO

MIAdragon 11-15-2007 02:30 PM

I was in 7th grade in the 89 San Fran quake, when it started my sister screamed at me "to stop shaking the house!".

Frosty 11-15-2007 02:32 PM

I was in Salem during this one:

Quote:

On March 25, 1993, at 5:34 AM, a 5.6 magnitude earthquake occurred near Scotts Mills, Marion County, Oregon which is approximately 32 miles south of Portland and 21 miles northeast of Salem. Although considered moderate, in both terms of magnitude/intensity and damage, it was Marion County's largest earthquake in recent recorded history and cause $25-30 million in damages. No serious injuries were reported.
Woke me up as it felt like someone was violently shaking the bed. Freaked me out pretty good. My wife slept through it. :rolleyes:

Pushead2 11-15-2007 02:34 PM

Hurricane 3 times never a earthquake.