ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Which of today's actors would you classify as brilliant? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181805)

Braincase 03-19-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4638327)
Johnny Depp has to make the list. And while he makes some strange choices, I've always been a big fan of Morgan Freeman. George Clooney's really solid, too.

Strange as it is to say, Will Smith is really developing into something.

Johnny Depp absolutely. The Fresh Prince has come a long ways... as well as that guy that played the ugliest, horniest woman on MadTV...

BucEyedPea 03-19-2008 08:58 AM

Russell Crowe
Daniel Day Lewis
Renee Zellweger

boogblaster 03-19-2008 08:59 AM

Hanks-Pitt-Cuban Jr ...

Frazod 03-19-2008 09:01 AM

I would add Gary Oldman to the list. He and Morgan Freeman are probably my favorites.

QuikSsurfer 03-19-2008 09:02 AM

Bill Murray

keg in kc 03-19-2008 09:04 AM

Just to make it a little more obscure, who would everybody's favorite television actors be?

milkman 03-19-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4638359)
Just to make it a little more obscure, who would everybody's favorite television actors be?

That guy that played Joey on Friends.

milkman 03-19-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Oprah Winfrey.

Gotta be the greatest actor ever.

She makes people actually believe that she cares about anything but herself and her bank.

Adept Havelock 03-19-2008 09:10 AM

Anthony Hopkins...the modern Richard Burton (sans sauce).

Quote:

Edward James Olmos, Terry O' Quinn.

Fire Me Boy! 03-19-2008 09:10 AM

Among those not already mentioned:

The late Heath Ledger
Benicio Del Toro
Cate Blanchett

Two that are fantastic actors, but generally pick poor movies to showcase their talents, are Will Farrell and Adam Sandler. Both tend to stick to their schtick, but once in a while they shine - Farrell in Stranger than Fiction, Melinda and Melinda; Sandler in Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love.

Fire Me Boy! 03-19-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 4638332)
Was it in Chicago that he sang that song IIRC "Mr. Cellophane"? Guy has pipes in the 9's.

That was the movie, but no. The guy absolutely has a decent voice, but there are a TON of people that are better. He can hold his own, but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon of singers.

Brock 03-19-2008 09:13 AM

Adam Sandler sucks at everything he does.

Fire Me Boy! 03-19-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 4638377)
Adam Sandler sucks at everything he does.

Have you seen either of those movies I mentioned? I don't care for 99 percent of Sandler's movies, but those two films are fantastic performances on his part.

keg in kc 03-19-2008 09:15 AM

I don't remember who said it, but someone on some interweb site made the comment that a director who can get Sandler out of the "angry comic" mode and stretch himself out can turn him into something special (like Punchdrunk Love), and that someone who can get Farrell out of "physical comedy" mode can do the same.

Fire Me Boy! 03-19-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4638380)
I don't remember who said it, but someone on some interweb site made the comment that a director who can get Sandler out of the "angry comic" mode and stretch himself out can turn him into something special (like Punchdrunk Love), and that someone who can get Farrell out of "physical comedy" mode can do the same.

That's the point I'm making. It takes someone special to get them out of their schtick, but both are VERY capable actors. In their normal comedic roles, I don't like either of them at all. Farrell was BARELY watchable in The Wedding Crashers, and I love that movie.

Robin Williams is another. If you get a director who can pull him in and not let him run free has a special talent on his hands.