ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games THE SOLID SNAKE THREAD (official MetalGearSolid4 thread) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185746)

Buck 06-12-2008 06:53 PM

Mine didn't come in a metal box, but a thick cardboard one

kcxiv 06-12-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4791554)
What is so special about "special edition" games? Aren't you buying it for the game? Why spend more for the same thing when all they are giving you is filler with the game?

I have asked this on gaming forums and people just want the special edition because they are hardcore gamers and they dont mind paying extra for an artbook or whatever. Its pretty much that simple. lol

Me? i dont care about it. I just want the damned game. lol

Moobs 06-12-2008 07:31 PM

A load time of only 8 minutes? Heh.

kcxiv 06-12-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moobs (Post 4791812)
A load time of only 8 minutes? Heh.

PS3 installs games on the harddrive. Thats the reason for the install. I think once its on the HD, there is no 8 min.

TinyEvel 06-12-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 4791840)
PS3 installs games on the harddrive. Thats the reason for the install. I think once its on the HD, there is no 8 min.

correct.

TinyEvel 06-12-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 4791444)
How dare people bother you at work while you are playing that game! :thumb:

Yeah, well my job is making ads for PlayStation so it kind of IS work. PBJ

You should see the life-sized Helghan statue we have in our office.

007 06-12-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 4791662)
Gamers love souvenirs. Please don't be such a hater. First you try to squelch my toe-touch at the Planet bash bonfire and now this? :shake:

Not a hater. Just never understood paying extra for special edition content is all.

And that toe touch was just plain scary!!!!!:eek:

Tried to get my Sony card tonight but the electricity farted out on me just as I was about to write down my new Sony card number to get the $100 credit offer. Now I have to wait two extra days for Chase to overnight my card to me by Saturday.

It will be nice to get a BD player for only a little over $20 per month for 18 months AND get a $100 credit to boot. Much better than forking over $399 up front.

kepp 06-13-2008 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 4791302)
Don't get the Orange Box for PS3. A TERRIBLE port. Read up on it - the reviews will tell you. I'd recommend it on the PC but have heard awful things of the PS3 port.

I decided to get MGS4 and, while I was standing in line, saw a used copy of Gran Turismo 5. So I grabbed it too. And then, the kid only charged me for MGS4 :)

Fairplay 06-13-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 4791854)
Yeah, well my job is making ads for PlayStation so it kind of IS work. PBJ

You should see the life-sized Helghan statue we have in our office.

I knew you did ad work so i knew it was cool. I do PlayStation work as well. A sony guy told me that works in their quality control said that the PS3 is one of the best BR players out there. They have to test out all the players out there to make sure it all works and solve issues. I'm sure he wasn't biased.

irishjayhawk 06-13-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 4792356)
I knew you did ad work so i knew it was cool. I do PlayStation work as well. A sony guy told me that works in their quality control said that the PS3 is one of the best BR players out there. They have to test out all the players out there to make sure it all works and solve issues. I'm sure he wasn't biased.

It is the best because it has firmware updates. They update something and bam, you get the update because it's all software based. Thus, you don't have to buy new hardware.

TinyEvel 06-13-2008 08:40 AM

Plus, it's the only Blu-Ray player that lets you play MGS4 :)

bishop_74 06-13-2008 08:45 AM

I got this last night. I got the PS3 when it first came out a year and a half ago and this is the FIRST game I have purchased for it. Love it so far.

Swanman 06-13-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4792363)
It is the best because it has firmware updates. They update something and bam, you get the update because it's all software based. Thus, you don't have to buy new hardware.

There are 1 or 2 players that may be better than the PS3 due to certain hardware limitations of the PS3 (not being able to bitstream the HD audio codecs), but they come at a much higher price tag than the PS3. As far as value/quality, the PS3 is by far the best player.

irishjayhawk 06-13-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 4792430)
There are 1 or 2 players that may be better than the PS3 due to certain hardware limitations of the PS3 (not being able to bitstream the HD audio codecs), but they come at a much higher price tag than the PS3. As far as value/quality, the PS3 is by far the best player.

Yes, but as I said, those players don't have to my knowledge firmware updates via online.

kepp 06-13-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 4792430)
...certain hardware limitations of the PS3 (not being able to bitstream the HD audio codecs)

Off on a tangent - I am unable to get my receiver to recognize DTS or Dolby SS when playing blu-ray discs and outputting the audio through the optical connection. It handles the audio from "old" DVDs fine - the receiver recognizes the input as DTS/Dolby. Could this be the problem? Any known fixes?