ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Big 12 hate meter: From Texas to Iowa State (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188451)

Frazod 08-04-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBo (Post 4890527)
I don't know why it would be higher on a national level, outside of the conference no one really gives two shits about Nebraska either way. OTOH, I can understand some anger issues with the old Big 8 conference foes.

That's not really true - certainly you guys have fallen on hard times of late (AWWWW TOO BAD) but typically you're players on a national scale come bowl time.

Bugeater 08-04-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4890544)
That's not really true - certainly you guys have fallen on hard times of late (AWWWW TOO BAD) but typically you're players on a national scale come bowl time.

I could see where people got sick of us for a while in the mid 90's, but other than that we've never really got a lot of national attention. At least not that I'm aware of, maybe that's something that's better answered by those who live elsewhere. I just can't imagine people thinking, "Man, how the hell did Nebraska get in the Alamo Bowl AGAIN?"

Skip Towne 08-04-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4890470)
The following exerpt is from The Lost Continent, by Bill Bryson (who is originally from Iowa).

"For a long time I couldn't decide whether the original settlers in Nebraska were insane or just stupid, and then I saw a stadium full of University of Nebraska football fans in action on a Saturday and realized that they must have been both. I may be a decade or so out of touch here but when I left America, the University of Nebraska didn't so much play football as engage in weekly ritual slaughters. They were always racking up scores of 58-3 against hapless opponents. Most schools, when they get a decent lead, will send in a squad of skinny freshmen in unsoiled uniforms to let them run around a bit and get dirty and, above all, to give the losers a sporting change to make the score respectable. It's called fair play. Not Nebraska. The University of Nebraska would send in flamethrowers if it were allowed. Watching Nebraska play football every week was like watching hyenas tearing open a gazelle. It was unseemly. It was unsporting. And of course the fans could never get enough of it. To sit among them with the score 66-0 and watch them bray for more blood is a distinctly unnerving experience, particularly when you consider that a lot of these people must work at the Strategic Air Command in Omaha. If Iowa State ever upset Nebraska, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they nuked Ames. All of these thoughts percolated through my mind on this particular morning and frankly left me troubled."

I'd say that pretty much sums it up. :D

Heh, braying.

Skip Towne 08-04-2008 03:48 PM

I remember Nebraska clear back to the 60's. Oklahoma was always just as good but would only beat Kansas 48-7. But with Nebraska it was always 73-6. If they found out we wanted a kid they would recruit him and stick him on the 5th string. So, if you get a chance to pound Nebraska, you do it.

Bugeater 08-04-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4890569)
I remember Nebraska clear back to the 60's. Oklahoma was always just as good but would only beat Kansas 48-7. But with Nebraska it was always 73-6. If they found out we wanted a kid they would recruit him and stick him on the 5th string. So, if you get a chance to pound Nebraska, you do it.

See, there's the deep-seated anger issues I was referring to. :D

Frazod 08-04-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBo (Post 4890560)
I could see where people got sick of us for a while in the mid 90's, but other than that we've never really got a lot of national attention. At least not that I'm aware of, maybe that's something that's better answered by those who live elsewhere. I just can't imagine people thinking, "Man, how the hell did Nebraska get in the Alamo Bowl AGAIN?"

Other than Oklahoma and sometimes Colorado, you basically owned the rest of the old Big 8 schools for years. It wasn't all that long ago that Missouri hadn't won against you in over 20 years. Other than the odd fluke win, the best teams like us and Kansas could generally hope for was a respectable loss. That gets really, really old after awhile.

Skip Towne 08-04-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBo (Post 4890572)
See, there's the deep-seated anger issues I was referring to. :D

Yep, it's going to be hard to shake.

Mr. Arrowhead 08-04-2008 03:51 PM

from experience and going to road games, i would definetly rank OU 1 and Mizzou 2. I dont really have a problem with mizzou, but then fans are pretty much all ass holes.

Bugeater 08-04-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4890573)
Other than Oklahoma and sometimes Colorado, you basically owned the rest of the old Big 8 schools for years. It wasn't all that long ago that Missouri hadn't won against you in over 20 years. Other than the odd fluke win, the best teams like us and Kansas could generally hope for was a respectable loss. That gets really, really old after awhile.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that one bit. I said I understand why the old Big 8 foes would hate us. I just don't think the hatred extends much farther out than that. Who knows, maybe there's some Florida fans that are still bent about 62-24, but they are probably pretty few and far between. We just haven't given anyone else much reason to hate us. Hell we got our asses kicked in a lot of our bowl games.

Mecca 08-04-2008 03:54 PM

I think what gets people annoyed with KU and MU fans is to see a team that hasn't been relevant in decades have some success and the fan base will say shit like "we're better than USC!"

It's things like that, that make me shake my head.

Frazod 08-04-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4890579)
I think what gets people annoyed with KU and MU fans is to see a team that hasn't been relevant in decades have some success and the fan base will say shit like "we're better than USC!"

It's things like that, that make me shake my head.

God knows Missouri's no Stanford.

Mecca 08-04-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4890583)
God knows Missouri's no Stanford.

Well see that kinda thing happens when your stupid ass QB breaks his fingers and decides he's not gonna say anything and still try to play.

Either way please tell me you don't believe had MU or KU been put in the Rose Bowl they'd have stood a chance in hell at beating USC.

kepp 08-04-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4890587)
Well see that kinda thing happens when your stupid ass QB breaks his fingers and decides he's not gonna say anything and still try to play.

Either way please tell me you don't believe had MU or KU been put in the Rose Bowl they'd have stood a chance in hell at beating USC.

I don't think anyone would have beaten USC the way they were playing by the end of the year, but MU sure would have made for a better game than Illannoy.

Mecca 08-04-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 4890590)
I don't think anyone would have beaten USC the way they were playing by the end of the year, but MU sure would have made for a better game than Illannoy.

I'd hope so.....MU's offense would struggle against SC though it would be similar to playing Oklahoma except SC has even better defensive team speed than that.

BigVE 08-04-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4890587)

No no, that couldnt happen because only KU qualified for a BCS game. ;)