ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU NCAA to crack down on "unethical", Chalmers-like combo deals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=189893)

teedubya 08-26-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4947253)
Well KSCC is still rolling with Dalonte 350K.....

Kansas State Community College?

Bwha aha ha

Reerun_KC 08-26-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 4947264)
If any other U refused to hire Ronnie Chalmers, shame on them.

http://blog.daylife.com/wp-content/u...lmers-shot.jpg

Tiger's Fan 08-26-2008 01:09 PM

They say it's lonely at the top. Thank god it is.

Midnight_Vulture 08-26-2008 02:22 PM

Shameless way to get a National Championship by Kansas but it worked out in the end. Good for the Gayhawks.:thumb:

With that being said, hopefully they make these OBVIOUSLY shady package deals illegal.

Kansas will have to go back to those nice "gifts" they give recruits.ROFL

Frazod 08-26-2008 02:25 PM

The admitted thief and moral degenerate loves the way you guys operate. That's perfect. LMAO

Tiger's Fan 08-26-2008 02:28 PM

Jealousy is a bitter pill.

duncan_idaho 08-26-2008 02:39 PM

This clearly is a problem in college sports - and not just kU basketball.

It has extended beyond mere coaching positions as well - mothers getting jobs they aren't qualified for, fathers being offered positions on staff.

It's a shady tactic, and it's about damn time the NCAA did something about it.

I think the NCAA should enact a rule that a family member can't be hired by the university their child attends within two years (on either side) of their child's athletic scholarship.

That goes for everyone - moms, dads, uncles, cousins, etc.

HolyHandgernade 08-26-2008 02:45 PM

Mizzou must have one of the cleanest programs out there, they haven't won anything.

-HH

duncan_idaho 08-26-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 4947499)
Mizzou must have one of the cleanest programs out there, they haven't won anything.

-HH

In all fairness, Mizzou has gone to this well, too (though not under Anderson).

Sundvold.
Winfield.
Tony Harvey (was supposed to land Robert Whaley).

I still think it is a step in the right direction.

Braincase 08-26-2008 02:49 PM

The real secret is to get the billionaire boosters' kids on the team, then the teammates can give the star players everything they ever wanted, including fabulous room and board in the billionaire booster kids mansion.

Not that it'll win you anything, but it's legal under the NCAA rules...

Ultra Peanut 08-26-2008 02:51 PM

The thing about these situations is that they're not always sinister. When DaJuan Wagner's dad was hired and childhood friend Arthur Barclay was signed by Memphis, people raised a stink, made up their minds, and completely ignored the post-Juanny years, where Milt continued as part of the staff (he has since earned his degree and joined former Tiger assistant Tony Barbee's staff at UTEP) and Barclay overcame injuries to become the heart and soul of the team. For years, people kept bitching about that, even when Milt was still there and Barclay was playing a big role in salvaging the 03-04 season after Banks fell apart and torpedoed it.

Speaking of the Wall situation, the really strange thing about it is just the idea that Clifton could be enough to push Wall to Baylor when, by almost all accounts (including his own), he loves Memphis and Coach Cal. I could understand it if it were Kansas, or North Carolina, or Kentucky, or Louisville, or some other school like that, but Baylor? Really? The brother of your AAU coach is enough to push you to that basketball black hole?

On a related (Xavier Henry) note, this was rather, um, unexpected. A three star walk-on whose costs will be paid for by the New York Yankees--AND he's the brother of a top recruit? Beautiful.

HolyHandgernade 08-26-2008 02:53 PM

Henry's dad is a former KU player and alum, I don't see anything shady with that.

-HH

Ultra Peanut 08-26-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 4947521)
Henry's dad is a former KU player and alum, I don't see anything shady with that.

-HH

I think shadiness can really only be determined when things are over. If a player's dad is hired and then dumped as soon as the kid leaves, that's pretty shady.

I'm not making any judgement on the Carl Henry thing (if KU even hires him). I was just really surprised by the CJ thing popping up.

HolyHandgernade 08-26-2008 02:59 PM

I'm just poking and prodding a bit for fun, don't take me too seriously. :D

-HH

HolyHandgernade 08-26-2008 03:03 PM

Wow, look at this from KU Sports:

Quote:

One quick basketball note: C.J. Henry, brother of Kansas basketball recruit Xavier Henry, on Tuesday committed to play basketball at Memphis.

C.J. Henry, who orally committed to KU his senior year of high school only to play professional baseball for the New York Yankees organization, told the Daily Oklahoman he will play for the Tigers’ basketball team this season.

Keep checking back to KUsports.com, as we'll have audio interviews and a new Spodcasters going up later in the day.