ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Do pro athletes have a responsibility to sign for their fans? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=189980)

Micjones 08-27-2008 04:49 PM

I believe that players should be graceful enough to sign a few autographs here and there.

I also believe there's a code fans should abide by when asking though.
First and foremost, don't approach someone while they're eating.

JuicesFlowing 08-27-2008 04:53 PM

Pro athletes should only sign autographs for kids, period.

Micjones 08-27-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuicesFlowing (Post 4951201)

I don't think there's anything wrong with adult autograph-seekers.
Of course there is the "sell the newly signed materials on Ebay" contingent, but there are some who are purely just fans of the player, team or sport.

plbrdude 08-27-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 4951182)
Probably because those that are doing it are making a couple thousand to tens of thousand a year..

not off this team they ain't.

Valiant 08-27-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plbrdude (Post 4951302)
not off this team they ain't.

The people that do this, do it for more then one team or teams...

plbrdude 08-27-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 4951374)
The people that do this, do it for more then one team or teams...

ummmm... i kinda knew that. just trying to jab at the team a little.

Valiant 08-27-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plbrdude (Post 4951421)
ummmm... i kinda knew that. just trying to jab at the team a little.

touche

Tiger's Fan 08-27-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuicesFlowing (Post 4951201)

Totally agree. Otherwise, it's just lame. Boobs being the exception.

BigRedChief 08-27-2008 06:23 PM

I've met Tony G several times away from Arrowhead.Enough that he knows my name. We are not friends or anything like that just that he knows me from charity work.

I've been to Tony G's place down on the Plaza. I've seen him in public numerous times. Every second of every day when he's in KC in public someone is trying to get his autograph or get a picture with him.

I've never seen him be rude or mean to a fan.

Just my experience.

Consistent1 08-27-2008 06:28 PM

The kids thing is dumb. Most kids don't give a crap anyway. They get dragged out to camp when they would rather go to Chuck E. Cheese. They get autographs they don't even care about, and the parents take them. Then they get ice cream later for doing so. There are a lot of true fans among kids, but many could care less. Sign, or don't sign. It's that simple. I have always thought Gonzo came across as a douche. He refuses to sign stuff that a fan obviously bought. Then some big titties get in his way and he gives away something the damn team pays for. Sign, or don't sign. I wish this guy could get his my back from buying the damn jersey. What an asshat if it all really went down like that. At least the idiot won't "get married" because he knows he would be lying.

Rain Man 08-27-2008 07:11 PM

While the fans pay Tony's salary, I guess I don't think he should be on call 24/7 to sign autographs anywhere they find him. As a fan, I pay his salary* to catch footballs and block Broncos headfirst into the turf. I don't view autograph signing as part of his job duties.

*I'm not sure I really pay his salary since I average about $50 in Chiefs-related purchases per year, but let's run with the assumption.

Chief Chief 08-27-2008 07:18 PM

Based on the initial reaction by Gonzalez ("You guys aren't supposed to be over here"), it's clear to me that he wasn't expecting to see any fans in that area. Maybe your host who got you access could have initially approached the players/coaches you were seeking to explain the purpose of your presence. You even said there were off-limits signs around. The Chiefs are entitled to their space and, more importantly, a sense of security. So, bottom line: You really have a half-full glass for getting the autographs/photso you did without getting the dogs (security guards) called on you.

RibKing67 08-27-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 4951187)
I believe that players should be graceful enough to sign a few autographs here and there.

I also believe there's a code fans should abide by when asking though.
First and foremost, don't approach someone while they're eating.

At least wait till they have a cocktail after dinner. J/K

I dont think they are responsible to sign and I know that some can not sign due to contract agreements. It is written into alot of contracts how many autographs are to be done and on what team merchandise.

Personally I think it would be an honor for people to want my autograph.
I think the celebrity and the cash go to these players heads so fast they soon dont care much about fans anyway. They are better than us you know.

dj56dt58 08-27-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBo (Post 4951143)
Eh, I'm sure it gets annoying, but the fans do pay your salary. Then again I'm sure it's frustrating to see people selling shit you've signed on eBay. I wouldn't have a problem with a "kids only" policy, sorry but if you're an adult and trying to get an autograph you're either going to sell it or you're a tool.

or a collector?

Whats wrong with getting an autograph. I mean acting like a school girl who just met Justin Timberlake is one thing..but I dont see whats wrong with getting an autograph..People buy autographed memorabilia all the time..why not get it in person for free?

Bugeater 08-27-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 4952145)
or a collector?

Whats wrong with getting an autograph. I mean acting like a school girl who just met Justin Timberlake is one thing..but I dont see whats wrong with getting an autograph..People buy autographed memorabilia all the time..why not get it in person for free?

You can collect things that aren't autographed. And as far as the rest of your post, I just don't see the significance of having someone's autograph other than using it for financial gain.