ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Marty for new GM (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=191637)

Skip Towne 09-14-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5020293)
No, Marty was given a larger say in what players to bring in, and it did result in a lot of bad things happening.

Back then we had to rely on the Star what was going on and they said he lost a power struggle with Carl. Other than that who knows what went on? Besides that, Marty is among the top 10 all time winningest coaches. Can you do that without being abe to identify talent?

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-14-2008 09:55 PM

I love that this fan base is so myopic they can't see beyond retreads, let alone our own goddamned retreads.

There are so many good young minds out there in the NFL that we could give a chance to, rather than a never was from a bygone era.

We run an antiquated offense, we have horrible position coaches, and our defensive scheme is only our scheme because our HC is so goddamned devoid of imagination that he just took a scheme he saw his friend use rather than try to identify what would be a good fit in the modern NFL.

el borracho 09-14-2008 09:55 PM

Great time to do it, really. Sort of a trial period for the rest of this year and see how we feel and what other options exist in January 09. Although, now that I type that I am wondering, what do NFL GMs do during the season? I suppose we could bring Marty in as a combination Head coach/GM. Heh. If he sucks, he could fire himself.

acasas4 09-14-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 5020301)
I'm not sure. I always looked at Marty as a "teacher" - not an administrator. Those are very different roles in a football franchise. Marty believes in actually winning football games, though. So I say, okay.

As long as he hires good scouts and listens to their advice.

FAX

You got it right man. Hell yes.

DeezNutz 09-14-2008 09:56 PM

Look, there are a lot of great things that one can say about Marty. But I've read this book. I know how it ends.

New blood, please.

This thread is like the ex-girlfriend who was a complete bitch but had a great set of cans. On particularly lonely nights, you really, really want to give 'em another feel.

TrickyNicky 09-14-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5020313)
There are so many good young minds out there in the NFL that we could give a chance to, rather than a never was from a bygone era.

Name a few. Not meant as a challenge, but I'm curious as to who could be potential coaches (head or position).

Brock 09-14-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5020310)
Back then we had to rely on the Star what was going on and they said he lost a power struggle with Carl. Other than that who knows what went on? Besides that, Marty is among the top 10 all time winningest coaches. Can you do that without being abe to identify talent?

Is there any way I can convince you that we should be looking forward, and not back to when zubaz pants were in style?

Skip Towne 09-14-2008 10:00 PM

He has won every place he has been and they have all gone downhill when he left. The dude knows what it takes to win and has done it over and over. Find me some "new blood" with a track record and I'll agree.

tk13 09-14-2008 10:01 PM

This would have to increase the chances of hiring Bill Cowher! :)

Brock 09-14-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5020330)
He has won every place he has been and they have all gone downhill when he left. The dude knows what it takes to win and has done it over and over. Find me some "new blood" with a track record and I'll agree.

Well, the Chargers actually won a couple of playoff games after they got rid of him.

Skip Towne 09-14-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5020325)
Is there any way I can convince you that we should be looking forward, and not back to when zubaz pants were in style?

Forward to what? Give me some specifics. I like proven winners not pipe dreams like Herm.

SoCalBronco 09-14-2008 10:02 PM

Actually, I think Marty should be your Coach (again) not your GM. Yes, you heard that right.

Now there might be a bunch of folks on this site that would scoff at the idea, but just think about it for a second. While its true that Marty turns to shit in the playoffs, he's a proven winner developing a funadmentally sound football team that can run the ball, play defense and become respectable. He can develop squads that are young and have holes and need developing. He can get the Chiefs back to the postseason. Ofcourse, once you get to the postseason it will go to hell, but if there was ever a coach that can turn a ship around and get you to 9-7 or 10-6, he's the one.

Isn't that what you guys are lookign for at this time? You are in the first phase of rebuilding. You've added some nice prospects in the most recent draft. What is needed now is a Coach that can bring a team from the 4-12 level to the 9-10 win level. He can do that. He's proven it already with that very same team.

tk13 09-14-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 5020344)
Actually, I think Marty should be your Coach (again) not your GM. Yes, you heard that right.

Now there might be a bunch of folks on this site that would scoff at the idea, but just think about it for a second. While its true that Marty turns to shit in the playoffs, he's a proven winner developing a funadmentally sound football team that can run the ball, play defense and become respectable. He can develop squads that are young and have holes and need developing. He can get the Chiefs back to the postseason. Ofcourse, once you get to the postseason it will go to hell, but if there was ever a coach that can turn a ship around and get you to 9-7 or 10-6, he's the one.

Isn't that what you guys are lookign for at this time? You are in the first phase of rebuilding. You've added some nice prospects in the most recent draft. What is needed now is a Coach that can bring a team from the 4-12 level to the 9-10 win level. He can do that. He's proven it already with that very same team.

Somebody lock this guy in a closet and don't let him anywhere near Clark Hunt.

Skip Towne 09-14-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5020337)
Well, the Chargers actually won a couple of playoff games after they got rid of him.

It took him 2 or three years to build the Chargers and it will take that long for them to disintegrate. The are 0-2 at present.

Brock 09-14-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5020350)
It took him 2 or three years to build the Chargers and it will take that long for them to disintegrate. The are 0-2 at present.

They were like 1-3 last season. So what? They still got farther than they ever got with Marty.