ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Redbox (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=209855)

sedated 07-02-2009 05:49 PM

I use them. They are so popular that blockbuster changed their fee system to be more like redbox (except $2.50 for the first night for new releases).

The only problem is a line forming if some jackass wants to look at a bunch of movie descriptions and back everything up. And the new movies can go quick at some loactions. But they are at enough McD's and grocery stores that there's always another redbox somewhere.

As for returns, I leave the movie in my car, and chances are there is somewhere I'm going soon that has a redbox. Never spent more than $3 for a movie.

007 05-23-2013 03:31 AM

Redbox now offers movie streaming. $8 per month gets you unlimited streaming of some movies and 4 free movie credits per month to use on Redbox Kiosks. First month is free to try it out.

http://landing.redboxinstant.com/tri...lling:red_box:

Deberg_1990 05-23-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9702525)
Redbox now offers movie streaming. $8 per month gets you unlimited streaming of some movies and 4 free movie credits per month to use on Redbox Kiosks. First month is free to try it out.

http://landing.redboxinstant.com/tri...lling:red_box:

Not a bad deal at all with the 4 movie credits.

007 05-23-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9702534)
Not a bad deal at all with the 4 movie credits.

The credits are only good for DVDs is the only real drawback. Not a big problem though.

Dayze 05-23-2013 08:32 AM

we like it. We have netflix, but only streaming (might go back to DVD though). There is a Redbox kiosk at our grocery store, so sometimes we'll grab one for that weekend evening and return it to a nearby McDonalds afterwards.

The Franchise 05-23-2013 09:27 AM

Does anyone have any idea about their streaming catalog? Is it all of the movies that are available to be picked up at their kiosks? If that's the case.....then it's ****ing worth it.

Chazno 05-23-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9702788)
Does anyone have any idea about their streaming catalog? Is it all of the movies that are available to be picked up at their kiosks? If that's the case.....then it's ****ing worth it.

Think amazon prime or Netflix 5 years ago. The studios hold the reigns on streaming new movie prices. Every single service charges the same price due to that ( Amazon, Vudu,Xbox, Dish Network)

The Franchise 05-23-2013 11:43 AM

Then here is my issue with the streaming thing. I'm not going to pay you $8 a month (Redbox or Netflix) to stream crap content. I would honestly pay more money....if I could actually stream content as it comes out.....even if it's just TV shows.

SnakeXJones 05-23-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9703244)
Then here is my issue with the streaming thing. I'm not going to pay you $8 a month (Redbox or Netflix) to stream crap content. I would honestly pay more money....if I could actually stream content as it comes out.....even if it's just TV shows.

I tried it when it first was available but the streaming obviously was in beta or something it had just weird lags all the damn time

WoodDraw 05-23-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

They'd love to do have a bigger catalog, but the studios simply refuse to license. That's why you're seeing a bigger push by Netflix into original programming.

Deberg_1990 05-23-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

You can pay more money. Nearly everything is available to stream. Just the new release shows and movies cost more. Usually $3.99 for a movie to rent or 1.99 to rent a tv show.

So basically we are back to the old blockbuster rental days again with new releases...except without the late fees.

iTunes and Vudu even make alot of the movies available at full price weeks before the rental window opens...if you want to pay $13 to $19 to own it.

WoodDraw 05-23-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9703979)
You can pay more money. Nearly everything is available to stream. Just the new release shows and movies cost more. Usually $3.99 for a movie to rent or 1.99 to rent a tv show.

So basically we are back to the old blockbuster rental days again with new releases...except without the late fees.

iTunes and Vudu even make alot of the movies available at full price weeks before the rental window opens...if you want to pay $13 to $19 to own it.

That kind of defeats the purpose of a streaming service, no?

I have to say I despise the way movies are going these days, as far as pricing. I can still buy a used dvd for cheaper than it costs digital. And that's DRM free. It's another area, along with television, that'll have to change within the next decade to keep up with the new world.

Deberg_1990 05-23-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9704409)
That kind of defeats the purpose of a streaming service, no?

I have to say I despise the way movies are going these days, as far as pricing. I can still buy a used dvd for cheaper than it costs digital. And that's DRM free. It's another area, along with television, that'll have to change within the next decade to keep up with the new world.

I think your getting a subscription service confused with a rental service. The subscription service stuff is cheap because its older titles or tv seasons a year or two old.

The new stuff is always going to cost more.
Posted via Mobile Device

007 05-23-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9704501)
I think your getting a subscription service confused with a rental service. The subscription service stuff is cheap because its older titles or tv seasons a year or two old.

The new stuff is always going to cost more.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, he is saying that it should be cheaper to purchase a digital movie than to purchase a disk. Granted, he shouldn't expect a brand new digital movie purchase to be cheaper than a used disk copy though.

Right now, I still prefer to purchase the disk because I feel I get more for my money. Bluray, dvd and digital copy for $20 rather than just a digital copy for $15-$20. Plus saved bandwidth.

DaFace 05-23-2013 07:21 PM

The crazy thing about physical discs these days is that you can usually get a digital copy cheaper if you 1) buy the physical copy and 2) do Vudu's disc to digital program.

Or even simpler, buy a physical copy with an ultraviolet license. It's almost always cheaper than buying the digital version direct.