ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports What Do You Do After A Horrible Round of Golf? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=210546)

WilliamTheIrish 07-18-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5909821)
You're going to play a 13 some?

Only 4 brothers will be there. So it'll be two foursome's or one big gangsome. But they won't let us do the gangsome.

Skip Towne 07-18-2009 09:40 PM

You get proficient at golf the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, practice, practice. Each pro you see on the tee at Turnberry has hit thousands of practice balls. There is no secret to good golf. Just hours and hours of practice.

Discuss Thrower 07-18-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5909845)
You get proficient at golf the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, practice, practice. Each pro you see on the tee at Turnberry has hit thousands of practice balls. There is no secret to good golf. Just hours and hours of practice.

Yes, and that takes care of the technical part of it. I'm inquiring into to the mental part of it, given that I'm doing everything "right" as it pertains to my game yet things aren't working.

PHOG 07-18-2009 09:44 PM

I would say watch the pros tomorrow hack it out of the kneehigh grass all day and laugh and realize it's the time spent with friends and/or family that really counts.....

naaah, **** that

Skip Towne 07-18-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Town Fan 1988 (Post 5909851)
Yes, and that takes care of the technical part of it. I'm inquiring into to the mental part of it, given that I'm doing everything "right" as it pertains to my game yet things aren't working.

If you aren't shooting near par you aren't doing everything right. Have you hit thousands of practice balls?

Braincase 07-18-2009 09:48 PM

Focus on enjoying time with your dad, screw the golf. My dad had back surgery years ago and hasn't been able to play since. Some guys would do just about anything to spend a good five minutes with their dad.

The time with family is all that's really important.

Scorp 07-18-2009 09:54 PM

I shoot a 90-100 depending on the day, and just have fun. I used to get pissed but as a friend once told me, "Dude.......you are not good enough to be pissed off."(words of wisdom)

Skip Towne 07-18-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashride (Post 5909732)
I just remember that not even tiger woods has perfected the game

He's a hell of a lot closer than everyone else.

PastorMikH 07-18-2009 09:59 PM

Focus on what I'm doing right, keep doing it. Figure out what I'm doing wrong and quit doing it. Then go back out and play again.

Dr told me a while back he wanted me to walk the course at least 3x a week. I can have a really bad round then a day or two later shoot great. I've learned a bit playing this much.

I have found the #1 reason why I golf bad is because of attitude. If I get upset because I play bad, I play worse. If I put it behind me, calm down and relax, I can pull it out. For example, one round last week I had +1 P P +4 P. The +4 I hit a drive into the river, had to take drop, was frustrated first off that I had to take a penalty stroke, then had to play a drop on a slope. Hit the ball, missed green to the right, ball rolled down the hill and past the cart path. Frustrated, I reached for the SW and didn't check the club until after I sent the ball over the green. Walking away from the green I decided to take a few min to relax and compose myself, shot par on the next hole. Had I relaxed after the OB, I wouldn't have taken a +4.

007 07-18-2009 10:02 PM

Define horrible round. Every round is a horrible round for me except for the one or two really great shots I might achieve.

Pioli Zombie 07-18-2009 10:08 PM

Masturbate in the middle of the gift shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne 07-18-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5909917)
Define horrible round. Every round is a horrible round for me except for the one or two really great shots I might achieve.

Those few good shots are what keeps you coming back. To increase the frequency of the good shots you simply have to hit a lot of practice balls. There is no"secret" like you read about in golf magazines. After Watson finished his round today, he was filmed out on the practice tee hitting more practice balls. All of the pros do it. They have all hit a million practice balls.. There is no secret as far as I know.

Discuss Thrower 07-18-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 5909886)
I shoot a 90-100 depending on the day, and just have fun. I used to get pissed but as a friend once told me, "Dude.......you are not good enough to be pissed off."(words of wisdom)

Pissed off isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being pissed off can impel you into a search for improvement in your game. The variation on that quote I personally hold to is
"You're not good enough to throw those clubs". That quote, coupled on my experience on breaking the same club (twice) has lead me to never chuck my wickets.. Outside of the tee shot released follow through, seeing as it makes sense to me to just drop your club as you watch your ball sail out of bounds.

PastorMikH 07-18-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5909917)

Seriously, talk to a golf instructor. It's amazing how a few tips can make a huge difference. Our local guy charges $20 for 30-45 minutes worth of instruction. Since I'm a member and out there regularly, he will take time occasionally to just watch me on the practice tees and give a few pointers for free. Courses in bigger cities may cost more, but think about it, if you could buy a driver that cost $500, but it was guaranteed to change your game, would you buy it? Amazing how people will spend $$$$ on more clubs hoping to overcome their poor swing mechanics but don't talk to an instructor that can help them hit any club better.

PastorMikH 07-18-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5909938)
Those few good shots are what keeps you coming back. To increase the frequency of the good shots you simply have to hit a lot of practice balls. There is no"secret" like you read about in golf magazines. After Watson finished his round today, he was filmed out on the practice tee hitting more practice balls. All of the pros do it. They have all hit a million practice balls.. There is no secret as far as I know.

It amazes me how many people will spend a lot of time on the driving range but don't go to the putting green. Usually a person only uses their driver 12-14 times a round, but half the strokes on a course are putts.