ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop MGE Sucks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=218311)

Donger 11-17-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dog (Post 6270159)
Well, this is why I said in my post they are primarily to blame. I pay bills by looking at what bills are there (in my email via bill pay service), verifying the amount seems correct, and just paying them...so I don't really pay attention to the recurring ones that are within normal range (i.e. gas, electric, water, trash removal, etc). This is how I missed it.

How in God's name is that their fault?

wild1 11-17-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dog (Post 6270159)
Well, this is why I said in my post they are primarily to blame. I pay bills by looking at what bills are there (in my email via bill pay service), verifying the amount seems correct, and just paying them...so I don't really pay attention to the recurring ones that are within normal range (i.e. gas, electric, water, trash removal, etc). This is how I missed it.

They missed...knocking on my door today (as the collector was suppose to...I was home). Verifying my email when they changed their policy. Addressing the fact they knew my email was incorrect. (They found a way to contact me for the final bill, which I paid right away....imagine that)

Did you think gas became free all of a sudden?

Sorry that happened. There will probably be a reconnection fee. Maybe keeping records in Quicken or Excel or some other document of what bills are due each month would be good.

tooge 11-17-2009 01:14 PM

You should have sexually harrassed her.

sodcat 11-17-2009 01:17 PM

Shoulda stuck with the USPS..............

Big Dog 11-17-2009 01:17 PM

As a programmer I can tell you that changing a policy to rely on emails that are multiple years old without verification is pretty inconceivable. To then have the information of what emails are not working and doing nothing about it is equally atrocious.

This is at best horrible programmer and/or corporate negligence or, as I suspect, an intentional policy to be able to charge late fees, cutoff and reconnect charges.

Tiger's Fan 11-17-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 6270200)
How in God's name is that their fault?

This

alpha_omega 11-17-2009 01:18 PM

This is exactly why (even though i pay online) i still have the paper bill sent every month.

Sorry Big Dog....you should have known you haven't paid your gas bill for 6 mos.

Donger 11-17-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dog (Post 6270231)
As a programmer I can tell you that changing a policy to rely on emails that are multiple years old without verification is pretty inconceivable. To then have the information of what emails are not working and doing nothing about it is equally atrocious.

This is at best horrible programmer and/or corporate negligence or, as I suspect, an intentional policy to be able to charge late fees, cutoff and reconnect charges.

Sorry, but it was your responsibility to give them a working email address. And, it was also your responsibility to read the notice they sent out. What exactly did you expect them to do? Send you registered mail or something?

Big Dog 11-17-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild1 (Post 6270208)
Did you think gas became free all of a sudden?

No, as I said, I don't really pay attention to my basic recurring bills...I truly did not notice I hadn't paid one since June until today.

We are only talking about $190 total here over the time frame...so the impact on my budget did not alert me either.

wild1 11-17-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dog (Post 6270251)
I don't really pay attention to my basic recurring bills...

I think we have found the problem.

Big Dog 11-17-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 6270249)
Sorry, but it was your responsibility to give them a working email address.

I did, 5 years ago, and to my knowledge they never used it. Further I disagree with your premise. When a company fundamentally changes the way they communicate with their customers, it is not the customer's responsibility to ensure the communication will succeed.

Jilly 11-17-2009 01:21 PM

I've done this before. And it was my fault. I took the blame for it. But in all actuality it wasn't. The bank wasn't sending the checks to the right account....and they were sending me paper bills, but I didn't check them because I knew I had been paying them online, just didn't know it wasn't to the right account. There was another person with the same name. I thought it weird that I had always done it that way and it was fine from the inception....figured out that when the other same named person started her account, my account ended up being the new one while hers was mine.

Nixhex 11-17-2009 01:22 PM

I find it odd they don't send a notice in the regular mail to someone they know isn't getting their email bill. It could be so they can charge all those fees. That would be bullshit if true.

Bottom line is you need to change how you pay your bills if you aren't noticing one as regular as the gas bill missing for months.

Donger 11-17-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dog (Post 6270259)
I did, 5 years ago, and to my knowledge they never used it. Further I disagree with your premise. When a company fundamentally changes the way they communicate with their customers, it is not the customer's responsibility to ensure the communication will succeed.

Well, why didn't you update the email address to a working one? That's your responsibility, not theirs.

And, they DID send you a notice regarding the change. You chose to throw it away without reading it.

Hydrae 11-17-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nixhex (Post 6270265)
I find it odd they don't send a notice in the regular mail to someone they know isn't getting their email bill. It could be so they can charge all those fees. That would be bullshit if true.

Bottom line is you need to change how you pay your bills if you aren't noticing one as regular as the gas bill missing for months.

This

Learn the lesson and move on.