ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tickets Is Haley really "too angry"? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=218321)

Tactical Funky 11-17-2009 05:01 PM

If you're getting paid millions to play a freakin' game and screw up or have a brainfart that costs/may cost your team, then I think it's only fair for you to get verbally berated in response. Just like a drill sargeant; break 'em down and build 'em back up.

Suck it up, gentlemen.

Demonpenz 11-17-2009 05:02 PM

20 years ago we already had a woman running for vice president

talastan 11-17-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 6270956)
do a cheerleader on the sideline.
Posted via Mobile Device

This post is worthless without....oh nevermind. :)

DaneMcCloud 11-17-2009 05:02 PM

His problem isn't with the yelling. It's losing his cool and making bad decisions because he's unfocused.

Hopefully, he'll continue to grow into the head coaching position.

With the group of players he's been given to coach, I'd be pissed off, too.

Simply Red 11-17-2009 05:04 PM

I love it (actually) when they show him implode on the sidelines.

DaWolf 11-17-2009 05:09 PM

Gunther Cunningham used to cuss everyone out of the building but people loved him. Haley has just been painted as out of control by the media. I think people here are afraid that he just screams at people to get things done, and that modern athletes don't respect that. But from what I've actually seen, that's not how he does things. And if all he did was scream at players and get pissed off, there is no way he'd have this job, let alone an offensive coordinator job or working for Parcells in any capacity...

DaneMcCloud 11-17-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 6271112)
Gunther Cunningham used to cuss everyone out of the building but people loved him.

Those people were wrong.

Cunningham was and still is a stooge.

Quote:

Haley has just been painted as out of control by the media.

Yeah, right. Because when Haley's often caught on the sidelines of a game yelling, screaming and cussing at players and coaches, it's the "media" that paints him as out of control.

Like it's not obvious to the untrained eye.

Quote:

I think people here are afraid that he just screams at people to get things done, and that modern athletes don't respect that.

Without results, they don't and won't. The screaming will only go so far without positive results.

Quote:

But from what I've actually seen, that's not how he does things. And if all he did was scream at players and get pissed off, there is no way he'd have this job, let alone an offensive coordinator job or working for Parcells in any capacity...

Gimme a break. The NFL is all about fraternity. Who did Haley "coach up" at Dallas or Chicago? Haley didn't call the plays his first season in Arizona and as a matter of fact, they're a better team this year without Haley and Pendergast.

Haley got the job for one reason: His relationship with Pioli. I'm fine with that. But the guy needs to find a way to better coach his quarterbacks, his offense and his entire football team.

Otherwise, he won't be a head football coach for long.

MichaelH 11-17-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6271058)
This isn't 20 years ago though. You can't treat the players the same way players were treated 20 years ago and expect the same results. Times have changed. Longing for yesteryear doesn't make it so. Women aren't all housewives anymore either. Try treating your wife like women were treated 20 years ago and see how far that gets you.....

I treat my wife just like I treated her 20 years ago when we were dating. With respect and dignity. And like a goddess most of the time. But a bunch of over paid athletes need their balls rubbed in the dirt when they mess up. If it hurts, they can go flip burgers for all I care. If you don't fix the problem, you get a whole mess of Larry Johnson's, TO's, OCHOCINCO's and every other known locker room cancer. Now, they get by on talent and attitude gets thrown out the window. Haley is being named the next Parcells and I applaud it.

LaChapelle 11-17-2009 05:27 PM

He's bullheaded and everytime he looks on the field he sees red. What the **** do you expect lol

DaWolf 11-17-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6271133)
Gimme a break. The NFL is all about fraternity. Who did Haley "coach up" at Dallas or Chicago? Haley didn't call the plays his first season in Arizona and as a matter of fact, they're a better team this year without Haley and Pendergast.

Haley got the job for one reason: His relationship with Pioli. I'm fine with that. But the guy needs to find a way to better coach his quarterbacks, his offense and his entire football team.

Otherwise, he won't be a head football coach for long.

Hey, he's 2-7, you get no argument regarding the job he's done so far.

I really don't think what he did or didn't do has any bearing on his ability. You could have made similar arguments against Sean Payton before he got the job in New Orleans. Harbaugh was a ST coach before the Ravens hired him. Tomlin was a DC for one year before getting hired.

I'm saying you probably aren't going to be working in the NFL and moving up the ladder if you have no coaching ability. Haley may end up being a good head coach, or it may turn out that the Peter Principle applies here and he should be no more than an Offensive Coordinator at best. We'll see. If he doesn't improve from where he is now, he'll never make it as a Head Coach. And that improvement will obviously start with the hires he needs to make in the offseason and the adjustments he needs to make with his own approach...

ToxSocks 11-17-2009 05:41 PM

He has this team playing pretty good football right now, they just aren't talented enough.

At least they play hard, maintain there responsabilities (most of the time) and never quit.

If they can maintain that attitude and add some playmakers, Haley and this team will be fine.

And you can see how they become much more energetic and explosive once they start having success.

I think the coaching is there. The playcalling needs work and we need to add a lot more talent to the team.

Fish 11-17-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH (Post 6271149)
I treat my wife just like I treated her 20 years ago when we were dating. With respect and dignity. And like a goddess most of the time. But a bunch of over paid athletes need their balls rubbed in the dirt when they mess up. If it hurts, they can go flip burgers for all I care. If you don't fix the problem, you get a whole mess of Larry Johnson's, TO's, OCHOCINCO's and every other known locker room cancer. Now, they get by on talent and attitude gets thrown out the window.

Ahhhhh... OK. So this is millionaire hatred? You want them treated like shit because you don't think they deserve their money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH (Post 6271149)
Haley is being named the next Parcells and I applaud it.

Whoahh whoooaaah.... What?

DaWolf 11-17-2009 05:59 PM

I think the bottom line is he has a style, some guys (TO) can't handle that style, and other (Fitzgerald, Keyshawn, Warner) seem perfectly fine with that style. That's why a coach wants "his guys", because he knows they will be receptive and work hard in the environment he is building and the way he coaches.

Speaking of Keyshawn, here's what he said earlier this year on Haley, seems to fit:

Quote:

Haley's relationship with Keyshawn Johnson, the former star wide receiver, didn't always travel on calm waters while Haley was Johnson's position coach with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys. Johnson is outspoken, and Haley doesn't back down. Sometimes an explosion can't be avoided.

But from that, Haley and Johnson somehow established mutual respect. Haley says that Johnson is among the best he's coached, and Johnson said Haley possesses a great number of skills that make him perfect for a job as intimidating as turning the Chiefs into a winner.

One of them, Johnson said, is patience.

Johnson said Haley's approach, nonconformist as it sometimes is, seems to attract success. Johnson, who's now an NFL analyst for ESPN, listed Haley's previous stops -- the Jets, Chicago, Dallas and Arizona -- as teams that improved while Haley was on the staff. He saw how those turnarounds were made, Johnson said, and he paid attention.

Still, Johnson said, Haley's patience could be tested this season like never before.

"You have to understand what they're trying to get done there. It's a long process that's going to take a couple of years," Johnson said. "This year, speaking with Todd and knowing Todd, he doesn't want to look at it as a lost year -- as a rebuilding, lost year. For all intents and purposes, it is.

"I know the talent pool they have; it's not very good right now. This team will probably win four games. But that will say a lot going forward. You have to take baby steps before you can take giant steps."

Johnson said Haley learned something else from those previous jobs: that regardless of what a coach thinks he knows about his team, sometimes he has to make jarring changes at uncomfortable times. Stubborn as Haley occasionally appears, his decision to remove Gailey as coordinator and cut a group of linemen will be seen either as desperation moves or the latest extreme step toward jerking a drifting team back toward the road, sentimentality and conventional beliefs be damned.

"It's not going to be an instant fix," Johnson said. "If I'm in that locker room, I probably would have to understand that."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09256...#ixzz0XAF7HfTd

DaneMcCloud 11-17-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 6271178)
I really don't think what he did or didn't do has any bearing on his ability. You could have made similar arguments against Sean Payton before he got the job in New Orleans.

No, you couldn't. Payton was the OC of the Giants when they were in the 2000 Super Bowl. He was later the assistant head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He most certainly earned his position.

Quote:

Harbaugh was a ST coach before the Ravens hired him.

Harbaugh was the Special Teams coordinator for 9 years before moving to defensive backs for 2 years. He spent 11 years in Philly.

Quote:

Tomlin was a DC for one year before getting hired.

Tomlin was the defensive backs coach in Tampa under Gruden and twice lead the league in yardage by secondaries. He was the DC in Minnesota before being hired by Pittsburgh.

All three of the guys you mentioned spent far more time in the coaching ranks than Haley. Does that mean that Haley won't succeed? No. But comparing those men to Haley is tenuous at best.

Quote:

I'm saying you probably aren't going to be working in the NFL and moving up the ladder if you have no coaching ability. Haley may end up being a good head coach, or it may turn out that the Peter Principle applies here and he should be no more than an Offensive Coordinator at best. We'll see. If he doesn't improve from where he is now, he'll never make it as a Head Coach. And that improvement will obviously start with the hires he needs to make in the offseason and the adjustments he needs to make with his own approach...

The problem with Haley as I see it is that the doesn't have enough experience in the league to be able to handle the head coaching duties, offensive coordinator duties and QB coaching duties. All three of those areas have been well below average this year.

The decision to separate those duties next year will weigh heavily into his success as a head coach.

DeezNutz 11-17-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 6271073)
twenty years ago was 1989 LMAO

Shit was real in '89. Downtown Overland Park, Video Library on 87th...we didn't **** around.