ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2010 Kansas Football Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=225546)

Saulbadguy 03-26-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 6635843)
Is conner Teahan gonna play

He is just a walk-on that is there to funnel cash. Don't think he will see much playing time.

Fritz88 03-26-2010 03:13 PM

All the best to KU football.

If Kerrey Meier goes undrafted, I would love that we pick him up.

KCChiefsMan 03-26-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 6635933)
All the best to KU football.

If Kerrey Meier goes undrafted, I would love that we pick him up.

I bet he gets drafted. He's a very good tall possession WR, I don't think he will ever be an NFL star, but he I see him being a productive player somewhere.

Buehler445 03-26-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6635941)
I bet he gets drafted. He's a very good tall possession WR, I don't think he will ever be an NFL star, but he I see him being a productive player somewhere.

I dunno man. He's slow as shit. Did he go to the combine? I'd be interested to see his numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan 03-26-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6635955)
I dunno man. He's slow as shit. Did he go to the combine? I'd be interested to see his numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not sure. As long as it's not too slow, I think 40 times are way overrated. Some of the best WRs ran 4.6's

Buehler445 03-26-2010 03:28 PM

Interesting to see Quigley move back to RB. I thought he did a respectable job there in 08 and mangino moved him to backup LB. He did have some fumbles, but I thought he ran hard and made some plays. When Sharp got hurt, I think he could have provided some decent carries.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445 03-26-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6635960)
I'm not sure. As long as it's not too slow, I think 40 times are way overrated. Some of the best WRs ran 4.6's

I understand that, but it just looked like he was slow as hell out there. Maybe he wasn't. He was always wide the **** open and they all can't be coverage errors because he led the team in catches iirc. Just watching him, he looked slow.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadHawk 03-26-2010 03:38 PM

Kansas Head Coach Turner Gill Brings New Atmosphere to Jayhawk Football

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1259889486 by JD
Written on March 26, 2010

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1269630494 Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Associate Athletics Director Jim Marchiony knew Kansas needed a football coach who would garner not only statistical success, but would turn this program into one that embodied team and school spirit as well.
Newly hired head coach Turner Gill made it clear upon his arrival that he would meet this goal, and his own lofty expectations for the Jayhawks, by taking care of business off the field first.

Making Changes
Freshman running back Ryan Burton said that as soon as he arrived on campus Gill began making changes to help mold the Jayhawks into great football players and upstanding individuals.
Unlike the fiery, strategy-first style of former head coach Mark Mangino , Gill’s coaching philosophy is centered on a positive attitude, team unity, and personal relationships.
Individual players have pointed to specific changes.
-Red-shirt sophomore linebacker Steven Johnson says he likes the new “BELIEVE” acronym Gill uses to describe the faith every player should have in himself and his peers.
-Freshman kicker Nate Kalish says all game jerseys now bear an identical “Kansas” logo rather than a surname, and players are required to wear uniform T-shirts to workouts.
-Kalish also says that Gill has even changed weight-lifting into group-work challenges that are more conducive to team-building and entertaining than standard lifting.
-Burton says that Gill makes his presence felt as a part of the team by making surprise visits to the weight room, just to check on his players.The best part, Burton said, is that the new coaching staff has given the players a positive new outlook without changing the intensity and passion instilled in the program by Mangino.

Building Relationships
The most important changes being made to the team, all three players said, is Gill’s increased emphasis on building warm personal relationships. Johnson said that Gill’s office door is always open, and that every player has his cell phone number to use in any situation.
Kalish said that special teams coach Aaron Stamn texts him regularly and keeps a close eye on his grades. Burton said that Reggie Mitchell , the running backs coach, has taken all the backs out to dinner together, and opened his home to them on holidays when they cannot make the trip home.
“We are a Jayhawk football family,” Burton said. He, Johnson, and Kalish all said that the entire coaching staff is genuinely concerned with the well-being and personal growth of every player—a feeling not as evident in the past.
Gill’s superiors have noticed the changes, too. “Success on the field is in no small part dependent upon building a team of quality student-athletes who know how to represent themselves and the University of Kansas,” Marchiony said. “No one understands that better than Coach Gill.”

A New Beginning
Fans will soon get to witness these changes on the gridiron. Spring practice begins Saturday, March 26, the annual spring game will kick off on Saturday, April 24 at 1 p.m., and the Jayhawks will open the 2010 season on Sept. 4 against North Dakota State.
<SCRIPT> $("#article-body p:first").addClass(""); </SCRIPT>

ArrowheadHawk 03-26-2010 03:40 PM

First spring practice pushed back to Sunday

http://media.lawrence.com/img/croppe...cf7613005fe067 Photo by Mike Yoder. Enlarge photo.
This view of Memorial Stadium, taken from the top floor of the Oread Hotel, shows the east side of the stadium in the foreground. Earlier this fall the Kansas Board of Regents recently approved the addition of the Gridiron Club to Memorial Stadium, which would be built on the east side. The club will hold 3,000 seats, cost $34 million to build and finance a $40 million commitment from Kansas Athletics to KU’s academic programs.

By Matt Tait

March 26, 2010

The beginning of the Turner Gill era will have to wait another day.
Thursday afternoon, Kansas University football officials announced that, because of the threat of rain in the Saturday weather forecast, the first practice of spring drills would be pushed back to Sunday.

Gill and the Jayhawks were scheduled to take the field at 1 p.m. Saturday but will go instead at 3:45 p.m. Sunday. Practice is scheduled to last until 6 p.m. and is the first of 15 dates during the next four weeks that Gill and the Jayhawks will hit the field.
The final spring practice of the year will be the team’s annual Spring Game, which is slated for 1 p.m. Saturday, April 24. The Spring Game is the only one of the 15 dates that is open to the public. Fans will be admitted to the game free of charge.

Here are a few highlights regarding who will take the field on Sunday, when the Jayhawks officially kick off the 2010 season:
• In all, KU returns 39 letter winners and 17 starters from last season’s 5-7 team, which began the year 5-0 but lost seven straight games to close the year.
• Five of the eight Jayhawks who started all 12 games in 2009 will return this season.
• Ten players with at least 10 career starts will suit up for for the 2010 squad.
• Sophomore running back Toben Opurum, who became the first freshman to lead the Jayhawks in rushing since 2002 (Clark Green gained 813 yards on 197 carries) will return to the KU backfield. Opurum tallied 577 yards and 10 TDs on 133 carries last season.
• Sophomore quarterback Kale Pick, who backed up Todd Reesing in 2009, will compete for the starting job with red-shirt freshman Jordan Webb and junior college transfer Quinn Mecham. Despite his status as the team’s top returning passer (4-for-5 for 22 yards in ’09), Pick led the Jayhawks in runs of 20 yards or more (3) in 2009 and also had the team’s two longest single runs of the year, 55 yards and 32 yards.
For more on what to expect this spring, check out Wednesday's story about the eight players who will start the 2010 season in a different position than the one they played in 2009

ChiefMojo 03-26-2010 04:49 PM

Meier will likely go in the 5th round area from the sound of it. He is 6'2", 225-pounds and runs a 4.6 forty. At his size, he is plenty fast enough. He is a possession receiver in the Eddie McCaffery mold.

Braincase 03-26-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6635684)
lol...starting early I see

Don't act like you haven't been here.

ArrowheadHawk 03-27-2010 10:46 AM

KU football assistant happy to be back in Lawrence
By Dugan Arnett
In the 10 years since Darrell Wyatt last coached in Lawrence, some things have remained more or less the same.

“Obviously, the town has changed a little bit with growth and roads,” said Wyatt, Kansas University’s new co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach. “But once I started to drive around a little bit, I got a pretty good feel in terms of getting to difference places.”

Advertisement

Other things, however, have proven nearly unrecognizable.

Since Wyatt’s first stint at KU, when he served as associate head coach, offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach under Terry Allen from 1997-2000, he has found a program no longer resigned to a fate of extended mediocrity.

Under the supervision of Mark Mangino, the eighth-year coach who was forced to resign in December before being replaced by Buffalo’s Turner Gill, the program underwent an extensive makeover, from the cosmetic (the $31 million Anderson Family Football Complex was constructed prior to the start of the ’08 season) to the more fundamental.

“You can feel it when you walk in the building,” Wyatt said. “You understand that this is a place where people expect to win. The fans look forward to the season, they look forward to coming to the games. It’s a situation where the morale is really good in terms of the kids going out on the field and feeling like it’s a level playing field, feeling like they can compete. And not only compete, but also win.

“I think at that time (late-90s), there was still doubt as to whether or not you could actually win the game,” he added. “Now, I think the kids expect to win.”

Having developed relationships with both Gill (“Coach Gill and I actually talked during the season when we had a common opponent,” he says) and new offensive coordinator Chuck Long during his time as an assistant in the Big 12, Wyatt called his decision to join KU’s new staff a natural fit, an opportunity to return to a conference and region with which he’s been long familiar.

Following his previous stint in Lawrence, he served as an assistant at Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Arizona, along with a season spent as the receivers coach for the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, before handling associate head coach/offensive coordinator/wide receiver coaching duties at Southern Mississippi for the past two seasons.

“In (the last) 10 years, I’ve been fortunate that I’ve had a chance to work with some really good football coaches,” he said. “I had the opportunity to work for two head coaches that are probably going to go to the college football hall of fame. I’ve coached in some national championship games, been a part of some Big 12 championships, coached in the National Football League, been a coordinator.

“Kind of ran the full gamut, to be honest with you.”

Among the first in a list of awaiting challenges, meanwhile, will be devising a way to replace two receivers who established themselves, statistically, as the two best in school history.

With Kerry Meier (102 catches, 985 yards, eight touchdowns last season) lost to graduation and Dezmon Briscoe (84 catches, 1,337 yards, nine touchdowns) opting to forgo his senior season to enter the NFL Draft — both received invitations to the NFL Combine — the unit will likely take a hit next season, though the blow should be lessened by a wealth of seemingly talented young receivers.

In its past two recruiting classes, Kansas has added seven receivers, including 2009 contributor Bradley McDougald and incoming four-star signee Keeston Terry, who Gill said had the ability to play both offense and defense.

“Kansas has become a place where there’s some wide receiver tradition here now,” Wyatt said. “And I think there’s some young guys that haven’t played a significant role who are looking forward to the opportunity of increasing their role.”

As of now, Wyatt says his focus is pointed toward the start of spring practice, where he’ll have the opportunity to see first-hand what he’ll have to work with next season. With offensive and defensive meetings in full-swing, and with recruiting a full-time affair, he hasn’t been afforded much free time since arriving in Lawrence on Dec. 28, a week after coaching Southern Miss. in the New Orleans Bowl.

But he’s seen enough to smile when asked about his return.

“It’s not good to be back,” he said. “It’s great to be back.”

ArrowheadHawk 03-27-2010 01:39 PM

Dreamius Smith a Jayhawk

Well, looks like Coach Gill's tweet might have in fact been about recruiting. Dreamius Smith has committed to the Jayhawks according to The Shiver. Not a major surprise as both the Shiver and Jayhawkslant had reported this to be very likely this weekend.

The 6'0 205 pound running back with great speed will be the Jayhawks second local prospect to commit joining Darrian Miller. Smith was seeing interest from Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State.

------

This is what he tweeted
Great News Today……Looking forward to even MORE TOMORROW.

BillSelfsTrophycase 03-27-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6635955)
Posted via Mobile Device

He ran a 4.62, Briscoe ran a 4.61

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2...lts.cfm?pos=WR

Buehler445 03-27-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carls20yearplan (Post 6637188)

Cool. Thanks. He's not as slow as I thought. If the Chiefs could get him as an UDFA I would be tickled. He's got to be better than the assbuckets we have at the bottom of the depth chart.