ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports The letter of the law or douchebag? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228069)

Rain Man 05-11-2010 03:42 PM

He almost certainly knew she was wearing it before the attempt. A real adult would have mentioned it before the jump and had her take it off if it was that big a deal. Instead, he scarred her for a long time just so he could get a plaque.

I wouldn't want to win that way even if someone else noticed it.

BigRichard 05-11-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 6751652)
Douchebag move by the coach calling foul. But on the other hand, her own coach should have instructed all team members of the rules or at the least instructed her to remove the bracelet before she competed.

I agree with you 100%. Her coach is the one to blame for the mistake. But yet the other coach is still a douchebag for calling it.

ClevelandBronco 05-11-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6751657)
its about winning. no mercy.

In professional sports, I agree. When it comes to amateur sports, not so much.

chiefzilla1501 05-11-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 6751652)
Douchebag move by the coach calling foul. But on the other hand, her own coach should have instructed all team members of the rules or at the least instructed her to remove the bracelet before she competed.

When I played baseball, people used to get in trouble all the time for wearing jewelry. It's not something you think about or something you notice most of the time.

It's not like the bracelet gives her some kind of competitive advantage. It's probably a safety precaution more than anything.

That's what bothers me the most.

MOhillbilly 05-11-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 6751666)
Complete douche bag move. And I can promise you that every single person on that team hates him for it. Winning is one thing. But knowing you won in that way is another thing.

I'm a competitor. I want to know I won with a fight. The coach should have told her to take the bracelet off before she jumped rather than waiting for her to jump and then calling her out on it.

you foul out, you foul out. plain and simple. Its up to the coach/handler to make the call to the judge. If its an advantage, you take it. period.

CoMoChief 05-11-2010 03:45 PM

Rules are rules whether they are dumb or not.

But if the HS officials didn't notice it, or just didn't care. Then the coach shouldn't have either. It's not like she was wearing this bracelet in just this one event (I'm assuming that she may have competed in other events as well). She's probably worn this bracelet in previous meets as well.

Bullshit move no doubt, but gotta give props to the coach for knowing such a rule, when no one else was paying attention.

Garcia Bronco 05-11-2010 03:45 PM

rules are the rules. She wore it all day...meaning they had already lost long before then. Oh well. I wouldn't have called it, but I wouldn't coach those sports anyway.

Pitt Gorilla 05-11-2010 03:46 PM

Complete douche.

MOhillbilly 05-11-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 6751670)
In professional sports, I agree. When it comes to amateur sports, not so much.

if it were my coach and someone was called for a foul and then fouled out and lost the game i would take the win and be happy w/ it.

ClevelandBronco 05-11-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6751677)

But if the HS officials didn't notice it, or just didn't care. Then the coach shouldn't have either. It's not like she was wearing this bracelet in just this one event (I'm assuming that she may have competed in other events as well). She's probably worn this bracelet in previous meets as well.

Bullshit move no doubt, but gotta give props to the coach for knowing such a rule, when no one else was paying attention.

I would go out of my way to avoid congratulating the coach if my kid was on his team.

Then I'd have a long discussion with my kid.

MOhillbilly 05-11-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6751677)

Bullshit its up to the coach to do everything within his power to bring home a W.

ClevelandBronco 05-11-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6751684)
if it were my coach and someone was called for a foul and then fouled out and lost the game i would take the win and be happy w/ it.

Enjoy.

Frazod 05-11-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6751691)
Bullshit its up to the coach to do everything within his power to bring home a W.

If you've never seen That Championship Season, you should rent it sometime. Movie based on a play about the aftermath of winning at all costs.

Swanman 05-11-2010 03:56 PM

Yes it is a rule, but if the douche coach knew anything about the big picture, he would think about the fact that the bracelet did not give her any sort of advantage (in fact probably hindered her if anything) and that should have driven the decision. It's complete form over substance.

That whole story feels like it came out of the book Atlas Shrugged.

CoMoChief 05-11-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6751691)

Winning fair n square is one thing.

Winning because you're pointing out a technicality that has no bearing on the results of their performances is cheap. That coach knows he won because of some bullshit technicality. If he can live with that then so be it. But I can bet you that even people at his own school wouldn't approve of this.

But ....rules are rules I guess.