ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Nerd alert...CIV 5 coming out on Sept 21... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=232111)

oldandslow 08-17-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6938551)
Howdy O&S,

I was intrigued by your post so I looked up the Civilization game. Very interesting.

Question: Do you reccomend a newbie start out with Civ 1? The technology looked a little old but if it is a sequential thing I guess I'll start at the beginning.

Thanks.

Didn't mean to not answer VP. Saul is right. You don't need 1 to be able to play 4. Be forewarned however, you will never beat this game every time on the upper levels - further, it is addicting as hell.

Start out on Chiefton or so and work your way up. By the time you get to Noble, it'll take you a month to figure out how to beat it.

Sofa King 08-17-2010 07:52 AM

Civ 4 has a huge following.... I've always wondered why it was so popular, but i never did anything about it...

It must be Age of Empires-like?

Pants 08-17-2010 08:18 AM

Has Sid Meier decided to fix the ****ing combat yet? If I have tanks, I want to be able to demolish the country that is still galloping cavalry around.

Saulbadguy 08-17-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 6939442)
Civ 4 has a huge following.... I've always wondered why it was so popular, but i never did anything about it...

It must be Age of Empires-like?

It's turn based, not real time.

Sofa King 08-17-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 6939467)
It's turn based, not real time.

ahhh, so more of a Lords of the Realm II or Lords of Magic type game.

Pants 08-17-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 6939570)
ahhh, so more of a Lords of the Realm II or Lords of Magic type game.

Never played either, but I highly doubt it. Civ is pretty much one of a kind. It's like an insanely deep board game. Still, for my money, I'll take the Total War games where I can nation-build without foregoing the control of my armies. I like to be the ruler AND the general. BO!

MOhillbilly 08-17-2010 10:08 AM

Im not a gamer at all and i love civ. Its super fun once you figure out how to automate all the worker bees.

vailpass 08-17-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 6939395)
Didn't mean to not answer VP. Saul is right. You don't need 1 to be able to play 4. Be forewarned however, you will never beat this game every time on the upper levels - further, it is addicting as hell.

Start out on Chiefton or so and work your way up. By the time you get to Noble, it'll take you a month to figure out how to beat it.

Thanks for the tip O&S, I'm going to start on it this weekend. If I get addicted I'll have you to thank/curse :)

Sofa King 08-17-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 6939580)
Never played either, but I highly doubt it. Civ is pretty much one of a kind. It's like an insanely deep board game. Still, for my money, I'll take the Total War games where I can nation-build without foregoing the control of my armies. I like to be the ruler AND the general. BO!

from the way you describe it, it's eerily similar to Lords of the Realm 2.

Pants 08-17-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 6939607)

Yeah, I just read up on it. It is like that except deeper. :) Good call.

Mr. Laz 08-17-2010 10:32 AM

I absolutely love civ I,II and III but they kind of lost me after that

civ IV is ok but i guess i don't like the change is the diplomacy part of the game.

cookster50 08-17-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6938551)
Howdy O&S,

I was intrigued by your post so I looked up the Civilization game. Very interesting.

Question: Do you reccomend a newbie start out with Civ 1? The technology looked a little old but if it is a sequential thing I guess I'll start at the beginning.

Thanks.

Civ 1 was and is the best Civ game.

cookster50 08-17-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 6939607)

Civ is way more than Lords of the Realm 2.

vailpass 08-17-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 6940112)
Civ 1 was and is the best Civ game.

Thank you. I'll look for it although it sounds hard to find.

Taco John 08-17-2010 06:07 PM

Every Civ iteration has been awesome and has outdone the previous version with added layers of depth and strategy. I don't even care about the graphics improvements, though they're nice. It's the strategy that I love, and in each new version, they have improved from the last.

For my part, I see it as the most awesome and elegant strategy game of all time. I'm looking forward to Civ V.